Wild Bill 16-Apr-18
shawn_in_MA 17-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 17-Apr-18
Wild Bill 18-Apr-18
shawn_in_MA 18-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 18-Apr-18
Will 18-Apr-18
16-Apr-18
How do you feel about going to IBO 3D shoots? I know the entry fee is higher and sometimes that is a turn off, but what about the rules, layouts and shooting distances? Would you, or would you not attend, and why?

17-Apr-18
IBO really needs to offer a known distance class IMO

17-Apr-18
I have no thoughts on an IBO shoot. I like to practice and I'm really not interested in organized shoots of any kind, but that's just me.

18-Apr-18
shawn,

Range estimation is a bow hunting skill, which is probably why they don't.

18-Apr-18
Not anymore. YOu would be hard pressed to find a bowhunter who doesnt have a laser rangefinder these days. The biggest 3D shoots in the world are all known distance this includes all the ASA pro/ams, Redding, OPA, R100, and Total Archery Challenge...time for IBO to catch up to the rest of the world

18-Apr-18
Shawn - interesting comment about range finders. I have one and bring it to my stand, but I do NOT use it to range a deer moving in. I will range a tree or rock when I get on stand, and use that as my yard stick. So if the rock is 20 yds away, I just look for the next tree or rock that's about the same distance from my yard stick for 40 yards, or half the distance for 30 yds. I haven't missed a deer in 16 years with this method :)

18-Apr-18
Bob - technically, you are shooting 100%. Now, any scientist (where's Doc? ;)) will tell you that an N=1 experiment likely has low value... But technically it's still 100% :)

It is interesting to me about the distance thing. Shawn, they basically let you know - that deer is 53yds or that turkey is 17yds or what not? I've not done a 3-d in a long time, and only remember estimation of yardage being used... But remember you noting the distance thing on a similar thread on the MA page.

I do what Bob does with a range finder - just range a bunch of trees and what not - at the same height I'm sitting - and then know when a deer comes in that it's X distance if it's near Y tree.

But from a tournament perspective, it's interesting to think of it from a different lens. Seems either IBO should really work to pitch unknown yardage as a cool challenge to tackle or ditch it.

• Sitka Gear