MF 20-Apr-18
raspy old hen 20-Apr-18
WausauDug 20-Apr-18
xtroutx 20-Apr-18
Nocturnal 20-Apr-18
albino 26-Apr-18
Nocturnal 26-Apr-18
16-Apr-18
Hello I had my blind setup last week for this weeks hunt [big mistake] I walked in my woods today to check on it and we have 15-20 inches of powdery snow. Can the turkeys travel ok through that much snow.? It is supposed to get to 38 degrees tomorrow so it should help to crust it a little. I had turkeys on my trail cam last week but was wondering if this snow will make them move out. Thanks

16-Apr-18
They need the crust to move comfortably. This deep powdery snow is tough on them for sure. I have never hunted them with this much snow. But I'll be out this Wednesday though, and paying very close attention to the little things. One thing forsure is they are out there. My guess is they are sticking tighter to the thicker areas where less snow may be. I have the same questions in my head as you. I think most of the guys preparing for this are wondering the same thing. Best of luck to you this week. I think most of us will need it. I know I will.

16-Apr-18
Turkeys are still doing the things turkeys do this time of year. If you can try to hunt mature pines. Also FOOD is huge as the common food sources that are usually available this time of year are not.

16-Apr-18
I dont envy anyone having to hunt in this snow. Turkey hunting for me is watching spring come alive in the woods. All the sounds of spring and a warming sun rising in the morning.

16-Apr-18
Snow has a huge impact on the areas I hunt. I have learned the past few years they are dependent on true spring and no deep snow. A little is ok or melting of what's left of winter is ok, but by me they do different things during winter and measurable snow. My scouting efforts are now a waste. Ever since the first spring snow storm a few weeks ago one of my spots is devoid of turkeys. I purposely used to choose the 2nd week to up the chance of avoiding such weather due to previous experience. Since they pushed the seasons back a week, I started applying for the 1st week again. I prefer bow and blind to shotgunning. So, 30 inches of snow doesn't sound too appealing to trek through to my other spot, which is a long hike. I normally would have had my blind pre-set too, but I saw the forecast. Been there, done that. Good blinds are too expensive to have destroyed. Never had much luck during later seasons, but may just try to get an otc tag and focus on that instead.

16-Apr-18
They only have 40 days to breed so like rutnstrut said.

16-Apr-18
Agreed Noc, but they just don't do it in the same spots. Maybe some areas, but not the properties I hunt. I have spent a lot of time scouting and hunting these dang birds. Took me 10 yrs before I ever got one with a bow. And that was some years back now. If the ground is clear or has minimal snow cover, I know a couple of spots that are strut zones or where they'll show up sooner or later. Throw it out the window, however, if deep snow is there. On another note, a few years back I was late fall season Turkey hunting when over a half dozen birds showed up. The snow was do deep that when something spooked them, they all flew up into trees right there. Some were in branches only a few feet off the ground. They sat perched (not roosted) for like we just seemed to be an hour. It seemed the snow was a major deterrent. Normally, they would've ran and flew a long (and high) way. One of the oddest things I have seen turkeys do.

16-Apr-18
Novice, trust me. I am not arguing what you see. I'm just agreeing with rutnstrut. They will be doing what they're suppose to be doing this time of year. I hope they don't go far if they do move. I hope they are talking. If not, tracks don't lie.

16-Apr-18
All good Noc. Just trying to give the OP real first hand experience, as he basically asked if deep snow would have an impact. Especially, since he said he had trail cam pics before the blizzard. Ultimately, I guess the answer is we don't know until we get out there. Every property is different as well. And as in all hunting, food sources change, which cause the animals to adjust as well. Good hunting.

17-Apr-18
"They only have 40 days to breed so like rutnstrut said. "They only have 40 days to breed? Not true.

17-Apr-18
Is it legal to use a snow blower to provide a walking path for toms and set up on it? Tongue in cheek but some one probably will try it.

17-Apr-18
Breeding season is roughly 40 days. My apologies for using only. It's not 40 and done.

17-Apr-18
I would think that if you are on private land you could plow or blow whatever snow you want to. Same thing as brushing out trails and shooting lanes to your stand.

17-Apr-18
If I can get into my place I will lay down a trail with snowshoes.

17-Apr-18
That's a awesome idea GVS.... good exercise, but more importantly its a story to be told if it works. If your on a field edge I would bring a shovel and clear out spots until you hit dirt.

17-Apr-18
Never thought about clearing paths for birds, but every winter I take a snowmobile and ride most of the trails in the woods where we hunt for deer. Makes a lot easier walking for them. If the snow is deep, they will definitely prefer to walk on them vs willy nilly through the woods. Unfortunately with the amount of snow we have now, I'm not sure I can even get in there with a snowmobile.

17-Apr-18
How about hing cutting some trees so they can get to the buds?

17-Apr-18
Thanks for the replys I walked into my woods this morning and did see two sets of turkey tracks about 100 yards from where I setup. I am feeling a lot more confident about tomorrows hunt. The snow seems like it has settled a little and after todays thaw and freeze tonite it should settle some more.

17-Apr-18
While I was trimming apple trees I was hearing toms gobbling between 2 and 3 PM today. SE Minnesota.

17-Apr-18
While out in the woods today I saw 3 toms around 10:30 this morning before they saw me. Their red heads really stuck out with the sun shining against the white snow. They were gobbling and strutting by a couple hens. We have a good foot + of fresh snow here in buffalo county but it was melting today. They were walking along just fine on top of the snow. I will be set up with the shot gun tomorrow morning in the area they were hanging out.

18-Apr-18
Just stamped my tag this morning 6:20. Post picture soon

18-Apr-18
Congrats Noc. I was hearing toms gobbling till almost dark yesterday when I quit trimming apple trees. Got half of that apple tree and 2 more pear trees left to trim before I am done with my Minnesota fruit trees. I also got a red face and neck from being in the sun all day.

18-Apr-18
lot of birds around here, but no gobbling,,,, zone 2

18-Apr-18
Congrats Noc - way to go!

(...at 6:20 this am I was having coffee with the other old farts at the "big boy table" in the local restaurant. Yep, we solved all the world's problems. Again.)

18-Apr-18
Congrats Noc!

18-Apr-18

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Thanks everyone. I know I don't post the pictures like I should. So here's to today. A Bittersweet feeling I have being done already. I love chasing these birds.

18-Apr-18
I wish I was hunting today by my house, you can really get on them birds, when you have snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18-Apr-18
Nice pic Noc. Betcha there's a good spot for that pic on the mantle! Once again, congrats.

18-Apr-18
Congrats Noc. But a pic is much better with the story that goes along with it;)

18-Apr-18

Novice's embedded Photo
2018 Archery Tom
Novice's embedded Photo
2018 Archery Tom
After pretty much thinking I was going to write off Turkey season (at least my drawn tag for this week) due to 30" of white stuff on the ground, I ended up lucking out. Glad I took a chance and went against my better judgment.

19-Apr-18
That's great Novice! They sure are pretty in the snow, aren't they?

19-Apr-18
Good for you Novice, congratulations. Those photos of the bird & the bow against the white snow present such a stark image! Looks cool & really shows subjects well.

19-Apr-18
Thanks guys. Definitely pretty in the snow. A lot more work trekking around in it, though. Me and the turkeys! Those things sure seemed to struggle walking in it.

19-Apr-18
well its a perfect day today, I will be out scouting, warm, sun, fresh snow, beautiful, hope to get some nice film today,,,,,, just got into that

19-Apr-18
This morning the Turkeys should have easily been able to walk on top of the snow. Awesome picture Novice... and congrats

19-Apr-18
Good job novice, both on the bird and great pic.

19-Apr-18
Huh, I guess it's my season this week and I have to work late and all weekend because of a Frickin Monday due date on two projects!!!!! I need to retire.

19-Apr-18

Late post: Bird #2 hit the "snow" early this morning. We setup tight to their roost. Made a few tree yelps and we think the boss hen tried to take them all away from us. We debated on repositioning but I wanted to imitate two hens fighting along with beating a turkey wing against the tree. She turned right around with him in tow.

19-Apr-18
Noc, you're crushing it so far! Nice work. That spot looks like you did your homework to discover.

19-Apr-18
Probably an uninformed question but I will ask anyway.......in snowy conditions, and using a decoy, do you think the stark contrast between the decoy and the snow might have increased the decoy's visibility and (somehow) made the decoy more appealing?

20-Apr-18
I would like to know if anyone has been hunting in snow camo and without a blind?

20-Apr-18
MF. I used regular camo yesterday afternoon. No decoy. No tent. Turkey camo chair next to 3 big oaks with lots of turkey tracks. Set up at 1pm. Used a box call and glass call. 3 hens in one bunch. Then a single hen. Then another single hen. The tom was 40 acres away across the swamp. But he gobbled back to my calls. Never saw him until he entered the woods. I left the woods at 4pm carrying him in my turkey vest. Shortest hunt I have ever had.

20-Apr-18
great job guys. Taking both kids out this weekend, my daughters first turkey hunt

20-Apr-18
Congrats,nice birds, cool pics, good luck to all.

20-Apr-18

Day # 3 and bird #3. That's the last guy for This period. We roosted this bird last night and again got in tight and early. He was alone and dead 10 mins after fly down. All 3 birds on public land.

26-Apr-18

albino's embedded Photo
albino's embedded Photo
Great pics & congrats on the birds. I wanted to get a snow bird this year in Columbia County. I pulled my gear out on a sled in the snow & had my decoys in the snow but by the time I shot my bird on Monday it was 70 degrees. The birds just seemed uninterested this year but there was a group of 3 that would chase any other Toms with hens out of the fields. So Monday I took my Tom decoy out & at 8:30 I had a coyote come prancing through the decoys & circle my blind at 5 yards. Guess i'm getting pretty slow as I only got to about half draw. Those 3 Toms were in the fields but wouldn't come. Finally at 4:00 they cut through a fence line at 60 yards & a couple purrs is all it took. They were jumping on that decoy so quick I could hardly get a shot. Then I see one was circling around it & was going to be broadside right in front of the decoy. I pasted him at 15 yards & he died 5 yards from the blind. I didn't notice if I poked the decoy but the arrow stayed in the Tom with just the fletching still inside. Something about turkey hunting makes my bad back even worse but it never gets old. Then the batteries in my camera were dead so I just got phone pics. Guess my brain is going also. I get to go in the 3rd season again. Another new area.

26-Apr-18
Great job albino! Obviously not slow enough! Bird down for you!!

• Sitka Gear