Per48R 17-Apr-18
Tweed 17-Apr-18
RutnStrut 17-Apr-18
B2K 17-Apr-18
B2K 17-Apr-18
northbound 17-Apr-18
DoorKnob 17-Apr-18
16-Apr-18
If this snow hangs around till the end of April are we going to see some fawns born and will they survive?

16-Apr-18
I was wondering about that today. Last year had pics of twin fawns on April 31 that were born not long before the pics. They couldn't have been more than a few days old. This year that may be deadly for them if the crappy weather continues.

16-Apr-18
Food sources are going to be critical

17-Apr-18
Don't they normally drop right after memorial day?

Do they drop early because the mother is under stress?

17-Apr-18
Usually mid May but there are always some born early.

17-Apr-18
Need it to warm up fast

17-Apr-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
MA MA
MA MA

Huntcell 's Link
Nature way of weeding out the weak.

If breed early you die early

Fawn drop late May..

.Deer gestation periods can generally be anywhere from 196-205 days. For fawn drop in April, doe would have to be bred end Sept early October not the normal breeding period for Wisconsin. Due to mismanagement and distorted age struture and sex ratio anything is possible.

Besides I think nature waits for fawn drop late May as that is when the bear, wolfs, coyotes and bobcat need a nutrition boost for there expanding families .

17-Apr-18
This weekend in the 50s that should help & melt

17-Apr-18
Are any of you guys hinge cutting or thinning trees to provide browse in this time of need for deer?

17-Apr-18
I do. Usually its this time of year I hinge cut. I was planning on going last weekend but I probably wont go up till first weekend in May.

I think hinge cutting is better than food plots.

17-Apr-18

RutnStrut's embedded Photo
"Don't they normally drop right after memorial day? Do they drop early because the mother is under stress?"

Some mature does will breed every year as early as October 10th or so. I had noticed some early chasing years ago on our land so I asked a biologist about it. He told me some of the more mature,healthy does in every herd will come into heat early. I have noticed this on our land quite a bit. I'll include the pics of the doe and fawns from late last April for you guys. If you count back 200 days it would put conception right in the window the biologist told me about.

17-Apr-18

B2K's embedded Photo
B2K's embedded Photo
They typically drop in May but, there's always the odd exemption such as this evidence I found on July 2nd of a recent newborn.

17-Apr-18

B2K's embedded Photo
B2K's embedded Photo
Here's a neat picture of a fawn I came across with a small shed I had found. Date of picture was May 20th.

17-Apr-18

northbound's embedded Photo
northbound's embedded Photo
I'm not to concerned, I generally see them mid may at soonest.

Pic attached was June 5th. I always walk areas before brush mowing to check. Ignore the caption, that was a snap chat sent to a vegan friend of mine

17-Apr-18
Current fawns are less than a year old and must be having real problems with getting around and finding food given drifts up too the roof line.

• Sitka Gear