MA_Bowhunter 18-Apr-18
Dthfrmabove 18-Apr-18
BruceP 18-Apr-18
Will 18-Apr-18
mrw 20-Apr-18
18-Apr-18

BruceP's embedded Photo
BruceP's embedded Photo
Forgot to close the chimney flue after a fire a couple of days ago. Woke up yesterday morning and found a female wood duck (I think?) in the fireplace.

18-Apr-18
Now that's a pretty unusual find. Did it stay there after you saw it?

18-Apr-18
Dinner ??

18-Apr-18
Bet you had to "duck" trying to chase her out of the house. :)

That's wild. Hope you were able to "rescue" her well.

18-Apr-18
Dth, that was my response but my wife said no LOL. It's weird, I can shoot a deer, could shoot a turkey, pheasant, duck, etc. but I don't think I could have killed this one. Kind of felt bad for her. And actually, I was already at work when she was discovered. My son somehow trapped her into a laundry basket and got her outside where she promptly flew away.

18-Apr-18
Bruce, check the chimney for nest materials , you got a cap on the top.

18-Apr-18
Definitely need a cap!

18-Apr-18
Not very sporting when they are in trouble. I would have felt bad too and let her go.

18-Apr-18
Yeah, I don't have a cap but know now that I need one. Was gonna check for nest materials yesterday after work but the way it's situated it's a little dicey to get up there. Need to wait until I have a decent block of time to make sure I don't hurry and end up tumbling down the roof.

Oh, and when I said "dinner" I was totally joking. There's really no way I ever could have done that and felt good about myself.

18-Apr-18
Bruce - that, show's you are a hunter and not a killer. It's the difference between, I'd bet, most hunters and killers. You saw a wild thing in trouble and would have chosen to help... That's cool!

20-Apr-18
Wood ducks are one of the more delicious ducks, some say the best.

But good on ya! I probably would have done the same.

• Sitka Gear