starbux 19-Apr-18
Glunt@work 19-Apr-18
jims 22-Apr-18
Buglmin 22-Apr-18
starbux 22-Apr-18
Quinn @work 22-Apr-18
starbux 23-Apr-18
18-Apr-18
Hello everyone, this weekend I'm planning to go chase some turkey. The thing is it's going to rain on Friday then snow in Saturday. Any tips for turkey hunting in the rain or snow. Any disadvantages. Thanks to everyone who is helping me out!

19-Apr-18
In the Midwest, I’ve had better luck in cloudy/light rain conditions. They seem to stay in the open areas longer. When it gets sunny back there, they go to shady areas and seem to talk less. I’m a CO transplant so I’m not sure if the same holds true for western birds.

19-Apr-18
As starbux stated, I have seen them out in the middle of open fields in light rain. Still callable and doing their thing. In heavy stuff I haven't had much luck and they bunch up near cover. Right after a storm is a nice time to be out. Seems like they try and make up for lost time. Snow on the ground doesn't seem to slow them up too much if the sun is out and wind isn't crazy.

22-Apr-18
It may depend upon the area in Colo you are hunting. It's a lot different in the Eastern plains units compared to the foothills/mtns. If you are hunting public land in the foothills/mtns tree country it's definitely a lot easier locating the few turkeys that are scattered across the country with fresh tracks in the snow on the ground....especially if the turkeys happen to be quiet. On the Eastern Plains it may not matter a whole lot. I've found that the wind seems to shut up turkeys more than anything else. Immediately after super windy or blizzardy weather they may be a lot more active....a little rain or snow may not matter a whole lot.

22-Apr-18
Snow doesn't effect gobblers, they still gobble and strut. I don't mind hunting after the snow has let off. But I don't hunt in the rain, see in sense in it. I'd rather wait till the storms clear up and then hunt them the next morning.

22-Apr-18

starbux's embedded Photo
starbux's embedded Photo
They were pretty vocal on Saturday in the snow. Called for a buddy today and didn’t hear a gobble.

22-Apr-18
Congrats starbux! That had to be the driest most level ground you encountered all day?

23-Apr-18
Thanks Quinn. It was...the good news was that all the other hunters were scared of the weather so I just had to find the right bird.

23-Apr-18
We were also calling and heard no answers so all we did was walk around and look for tracks to follow them. Then I would just run after them. It sounds ridiculously stupid but after we found some tracks I followed them then when I saw the turkey I ran after it. I got within 30 yards and I hesitated because I could not quite tell if it was a hen or not. Later on, I found out it was a gobbler :(. Then the turkey made a loop and flew off the slope. This day we learned a ton about turkeys and how they work. It was a great trip and maybe we will make some more. But they were not vocal at all.

• Sitka Gear