colohunter87 19-Apr-18
Weekend Warrior 19-Apr-18
Huntinman 20-Apr-18
splitlimb13 20-Apr-18
smarba 20-Apr-18
Huntinman 20-Apr-18
Weekend Warrior 20-Apr-18
19-Apr-18
New to the site. Drew a unit 10 early archery tag 3rd choice. I know its not the greatest unit from what i have heard very hard actually but i get to hunt archery elk. I figure i better start my e scouting. Never hunted this unit so any tips are appreciated. Road conditions, distance between roads, terrain, anything your willing to share. Not asking for top secret info. I will be scouting 3 days before opener and staying entire hunt if thats what it takes. I like to get away from the crowds if thats possible. Thanks

19-Apr-18
It's on fire.

19-Apr-18
Do you know how bad in 10? So far?

19-Apr-18
A week ago it was up to 2500 acres.

19-Apr-18

BillL's Link
Mister Splitlimb, You are mean to start off with the bad news. The two fires are up to 13,000 acres total but that is only a small fraction of the GMU. Here's your link to keep up with the fires in the state.

19-Apr-18
The bad part is the hjntiis pretty good there. If it gets contained and after monsoons it'll be awesome. If it's not closed.

19-Apr-18
Hunting can still be good when the grass snaps back. Might even be one of the places to go into.

19-Apr-18
Yessir that's what I'm saying.

19-Apr-18

19-Apr-18
Being from california my local unit has burnt twice in the last 6 years. As long as the fire happens soon enough and a little moisture the animals seem to start using the area soon. It is a downer for sure though. Thanks for the info.

19-Apr-18
Surprised the link doesn't show the fire in 34 Russia Canyon and another near/ to the NM tx border near Portales.

19-Apr-18
I've seen fires missing from inciweb before. I think that is sometimes caused the management level, or the managing agency (like grass fires on BLM in eastern NM don't register). I think Russia is off the map b/c it's 100% contained and mngt made a final report. NMfireinfo is another good resource.

GMU 10 is neat lower altitude NM mountains. ponderosas and volcanos. We used to camp by a cinder cone back in the day. Pretty cool little microclimate in the bottom of the cone.

19-Apr-18

colohunter87's Link
I drew 10 for the October 13-17 rifle hunt (3rd choice, prefer bowhunting, but happy to be elk hunting and will probably try to do the hunt with a bow anyway!). Here's a link to the site for the fire status - didn't look at this until today and did a "what the heck?" . Hunted unit 9 archery 2nd season last year and kept getting chased around by the fires. C'mon rain!! https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5741

19-Apr-18
There are some giants in Unit 10 but population is not real high. They move around a lot.

20-Apr-18
Im wondering what towns are near by for restocking? Are the roads maintained or rough? I have a capable 4x4. Is there a chance the forest will be closed during the hunt and does that mean no access at all?

20-Apr-18
Yep shut it all down..start praying.

20-Apr-18
Historically in dry years the Forests have been closed beginning in June due to fire danger. Also historically they have opened before elk season because "monsoon season" (NM term for rain that many places would call a decent drizzle LOL) has started by then and the fire danger has diminished.

This winter is BY FAR the driest its been for many, many years. Time will tell what happens with any spring rain. But very likely all Forests in NM will be closed sometime before the July 4th worry of fireworks. Odds are also likely they'll be open by hunting season. May put a damper (no pun intended) on scouting during the summer though.

20-Apr-18
Thank You Smarba. Any info is good info. I cant make it out to scout summer anyways. Hoping for a few days before opener.

20-Apr-18
Depends on what part of 10 you hunt for close towns. East close to Grans and West to Gallup. There is gas and some groceries in Thoreau which is pretty much middle. Roads are pretty good for most part. If it rains some of them get muddy. An ATV will definitely make life easier.

• Sitka Gear