Labdad 28-Apr-18
CaptMike 03-Jul-18
Nocturnal 03-Jul-18
CaptMike 04-Jul-18
Bloodtrail 04-Jul-18
Myke 04-Jul-18
CaptMike 04-Jul-18
20-Apr-18
(BTBD title box doesn't allow enough characters)

bow type brain degradation.

I'd like to see this site make a decision and put an end to the hate one way or another.

All bow types are included and we are all comrades in arms;

or, cross bow talk is strictly verboten: both for AND against.

Everyone is still welcome to discuss all the common things, just not cross bows. Call it 'plasticwall'.or 'camwall' or 'mechanical release wall' or 'maximum let-off wall' … you get the idea...

But that would be nuts. And hardly a solution of rational minds.

So I implore you to act respectable. Or, alternatively, carry on like a chapter from Lord of the Flies .

20-Apr-18
guessing that sounded better before getting written out

20-Apr-18
Wait. What?

20-Apr-18
I was hoping it was some obnoxious hollywood hunter that got eaten by a bear.

20-Apr-18
I like a thread, that has some fire to it,,,,, geesh, if its too hot for you, don't participate in that certain thread,,,,,,,, also I would not take everyone here so seriously either..... We do not need the thread police................ I grew up in a world that it was settled out in the play ground,,, ha ha

20-Apr-18
No problem. Keep the x gun fellers off here and we're good.

20-Apr-18
+ 1 Pasq

20-Apr-18
+2 Pasq

20-Apr-18
How about the idea that what you do and say is inviting enough to attract someone . I will start - Last night I slept with my long bow at my side tucked under the blanket with me . I cant stay apart from it . I love my bow .

20-Apr-18
Jimbow, you celebrating 420 LOL

20-Apr-18
Jimbow,,,,,, doesn't everybody?

20-Apr-18
I have to admit, I used to love this site. My wife constantly telling me to put down the phone cause I would be on here so much. Mostly reading and hopefully learning, occasionally contributing. Now, I get very frustrated. No matter the thread, it always goes back to the same arguments. Not on here nearly as much as a result. Its like a soap opera, I can stay away for weeks , come back and same bickering. There are alot of smart good hunters on here and everyone is entitled to there opinions. It's just not much fun anymore listening to it. I guess I will check back in fall hopefully by then brothers will once again join together to help each other out not bring each other down. Jmho

20-Apr-18
I'm celebrating the full pull no let off and my fingers on the string . The 4/20 I think originated in the great state of Cali . California , Pope and Young . Ishi too and Nancy Pelosi Its time to come clean guys . We made Amazon and the cross bow . People are convinced they need them both . Right now at 9pm there is an entire army of people working at night so you can get your order the very next day . Yes they work for 12 bucks an hour, is that not a great thing .? And then we have this fact Fred Bear killed a elephant with an arrow from a recurve . 6 decades later there is somebody thinking they need a cross bow to shoot deer . You have to admit we are not as good as those that we're before us .

21-Apr-18
This entire thing is casting a bad light on Deer hunters & hunting in general. And why? I have yet to see the first evidence or even claim of who has supposedly been harmed by cross bow inclusion. If you are harmed or are a victim – stand up right now and tell us in no uncertain terms all about it in great detail.

You like driving a red sports car around and think the world of it. OK fine. But then you get all butt hurt because someone else is riding around in a yellow truck! How dare them besmirch your thing!!

Your trying to take them off the road is akin to preventing practice of a religion which happens to be not yours. ( which happens to be why most world conflicts exist – small minded people)

21-Apr-18
Clueless^^^^^^^

21-Apr-18
Some people do not get it. Doorknob, when the wheel bearing on your red car starts squeaking, do you fix it or do you wait for the tire to fall off? I bet if you see your bow string with a fray in it, you fix it before it lets go completely. Same principle with crossbows. They have shown they have the potential to drastically alter the very static archery/rifle deer hunt relationship that we WI hunters have been enjoying. Why do we need to wait for the wheels to fall off our season before we address it? Remember, the crossbow season was granted a two year time period that would mirror the current archery season. That was done for a very specific purpose, which was to monitor the success rate of a superior weapon being used in a primitive weapon season. Well, review time has come. Of course all the whining and complaining is being done by those who embraced (or have a wife who embraced) the opportunity to use a superior weapon in a primitive season framework. Now that review time is here, they are worried they will lose the unfair advantage granted to them during that trial period. That you or anyone else think that those of us who attempt to preserve the great hunting and long season we currently enjoy during the WI archery season are causing the issue is extremely shortsighted. We are just trying to get your car into the shop before it's wheel falls off.

21-Apr-18
It go's in cycles . During 2000 & 2005 there was some real brawls . Bowsiters offering to meet at street corners to " talk ". Profanity . Threats .

Bowsiters blowing the whistle on each other . Bowsiters turning each other in to gamewardens . Nasty pics posted .

Yea its been much worse.

21-Apr-18
“Of course all the whining and complaining is being done by those who embraced (or have a wife who embraced) the opportunity to use a superior weapon in a primitive season framework.“

Actually it’s all just a select few here whining about it to get rid of it. Funny I sit on the CC and CDAC when my job allows and I don’t hear a thing about it at those events. At the CC hearing I didn’t hear one person speak against crossbows or its season.

Just like the Dem’s play book no matter how untrue it is if you say it often enough it’s got to be true right Capt.

21-Apr-18
You don't hear anything here either. Selective hearing??

22-Apr-18

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
I got new arrows today.

22-Apr-18
I agree Ranger. I visit this site daily. Now I wonder why. Every thread seems to lead to the same 4 heated topics. Debating is fine but it goes on and on. Gets old

22-Apr-18
Yesterday, I went to a trad shoot in New Berlin at Ojibwa. In the late afternoon, I talked to a legend in the archery world, a hall of famer. He said to me, "my mother told me, I would live to see the end of a primitive season in Wis, and she was right"............

Its over with now, nothing will be done to a least 2019, that genie is out of the bottle, and is not going back in, with those politicians,,,,, shorten seasons and one buck will eventually come,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe not tomorrow but it will come,,,,,,,

22-Apr-18
It appears the debate is now evolving to the archery/rifle debate. Instead of vilifying fellow hunters, maybe the energy would be better spent education fellow hunters that archery is not the end all to rifle hunting and that known data shows that archery hunting kills a very small percentage of available bucks.

In Pa, rifle hunters have been complaining for years that archery hunters are killing all of the bucks. So our game agency began several studies to investigate this. What they found was that archery hunters are taking a very small percentage of bucks from the herd. Rifle hunter numbers and participation hours are dropping which is accounting for the growing percent of the total take by archery. And also less rifle hunters in the woods is resulting in less deer seen due to less forced movement. Those trends began way before crossbow inclusion but crossbow inclusion is being used as the new rally point. The facts simply don't support this line of thinking.

22-Apr-18
The "debate" has only been changed by those of you attempting to champion crossbow use during an archery season.

22-Apr-18
"The "debate" has only been changed by those of you attempting to champion crossbow use during an archery season."

Nah. Rifle hunters have been complaining about archery hunters getting first whack for a very long time. This is nothing new. As less rifle hunt, they complain more since their percent of the harvest decreases which they inaccurately claim to be due to archery hunting when the reality is there is simply less of them than there used to be.

22-Apr-18
Dpms we don't care about PA.

22-Apr-18
"Dpms we don't care about PA."

I know. I kinda figured out you don't much care for any information that shoots holes in your assumptions and beliefs. Even in your own state. One side has always welcomed the data, the other side fears it. Objective folks want to learn as much as they can about a subject. I used to be against crossbow inclusion. Was vocally opposed to it for many of the same reasons I see here. A search for the truth changed my opinion.

22-Apr-18

dpms's embedded Photo
dpms's embedded Photo
I even like to hunt with this every now and again.

22-Apr-18

rallison's embedded Photo
rallison's embedded Photo
I'm a fan of our primitive hunting seasons, but I too see the end in sight. As said earlier, the geenie IS out of the bottle...with big money in play, and special intetest groups seemingly calling the shots in about everything, I fear this will end badly for those of us with a lifetime of enjoyment of long "archery" seasons.

To a lesser degree, we had a bit of this when compounds came of age. But, it's still a handdrawn vertical weapon, requiring some physical effort and skill to shoot...in other words, archery.

I'm one who dabbled with them in the late 70's - the mid 80's, killed my share of deer, had a lot of fun, and got damn good with them...PSE was my bow of choice.

But, I never really abandoned my roots and returned to my beloved stickbows. I've been there since.

Suffice it to say...other than tags for a disability, I don't believe the crossbow belongs in the archery season. Yes, I get the argument that crossbows have been around for centuries, but...no.

My preferred weapon is my longbow.

22-Apr-18
Big money and greedy interest groups.

23-Apr-18
Ya lost me at "Comrade", buddy..

23-Apr-18
The " big money" comes from the hunters who support the never ending technological advantage over the game. They want things easy, take the hunt out of hunting.

23-Apr-18
Missouribreaks...no argument from me on that, but maybe that's just a symptom of the times in which we now live?

Now, I'm not quite at the "hey you kids, get off my lawn" level of curmudgeoness yet, but the hard way seems to be dead and gone. That's a pity. To me, the work involved to get good at ANYTHING is not only part of the process, but also the fun.

Instant gratification. I used to tell my hockey players, "You can't buy talent." But I guess I was wrong.

23-Apr-18
With a few exceptions such as whitetail deer, the tech advantages eventually limit opportunity with drawings and point creep, and drive up the cost to participate (or compete). I agree, that is the time we live in and I see no going back. Not sure we should go back,...... but then nobody should complain as hunting and access become more a private land venture, and wealthy person's activity. We are well on our way.

23-Apr-18
Doorknob is MIA? Maybe he is having a safety check done on his red car?

23-Apr-18
Who cares what other hunters hunt with....are some people trying to blame their lack of success on a inanimate object like a crossbow. How does it effect your hunting if your not using one? Some of you are bordering on "whining"....lol. NOBODY CARES.

23-Apr-18
Out of about 800 or so post on various threads, I have yet to see any of us complain about not getting a buck due to crossbows. As many others on here have said,"you don't get it" and if you haven't by now, its not worth explaining again.

23-Apr-18
xtroutx +1

24-Apr-18
Why else would you whine about some guy 3 counties over hunting with a crossbow. He could use a bomb for all I care, it has ZERO effect on my hunting. MYOB.

Someday there will be a group of people whining about how YOU ARE hunting. Hope you feel the same way about it as you do now. Not likely though.

25-Apr-18
Why should gun hunters have to have a separate non rut season, but not crossbow hunters? With that logic, seems like the fair thing to come would be one season, hunt with whatever weapon you choose, and kill one buck. Control populations with doe tags. All hunters, regardless of weapon would get equal opportunity!

25-Apr-18
Franklin- I'm making an assumption you must be younger in age? The term "who cares what others are doing, it doesn't affect me" has to be one of the lamest verbiage from individuals. Yes, yes it does. In every thing in life, what someone else does will impact you somewhere some how along the road of life. I care how others are hunting and passionate about it. Some may not agree and that's fine but turning your head cause it "doesn't affect " is a dangerous approach to me.

25-Apr-18
Wisconsin is not going to go to a open season, so that discussion is a waste of time,,,, Wisconsin is not going to go to a one buck season either, not at this time, since their is no biological reason to do so...... Wisconsin is going to manage the deer on biological reasoning, regardless of what your social views are, on management......

I did ask the wild life managers why, that although we have separate seasons, why are the buck tags, weapon specific, when they are not in MI. I was told, that MI does not have registration requirements, Wis does, and Wis wants the data for seasonal structure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wis is not going to go to any antler restriction requirements, that has no affect on the health of the herd,,,,, there is so much private land, already in that practice, that it has taken care of itself,,,, the amount of big bucks continue, to be taken in the state, and that can be seen, in any local deer show, or by word of mouth,,,, I mean last year, a bowhunter, almost broke the Jordan buck record, in Vernon County,,,, the bucks are here......................

What our DNR wants and is not going to get, is to ban baiting, .......... as far as CWD, in my opinion, in the high affected areas, they should be shooting more bucks.......

They have no control over the game farms, and that is a political football.........

At this time, there is not a hunter on this site, that does not have an equal chance of shooting 2 bucks in all reality

Wisconsin is not Montana, we are not going to have points and draws,,,, our public lands are open to all,,,, our residents pay healthy license fees, not carried by NR like other states, and our DNR is better funded, than other states, regardless of what side of the political aisle you sit on......... I know, I hunt out of state, and have friends who work for other states...................

Wis is and continues to be, one of the best states to hunt for deer,,,,,, South Dakota is now moving to reduce NR tags by 8 percent,,,,, that will also be coming to other states, and a lot of them, are concerned about their funding, since resident pay little to nothing,,,,, whine about NR, but do not want to contribute on their end

25-Apr-18
The discussion is a bit beyond buck deer,....... you already have a limited draw on bear tags, cat tags, and elk tags, and have had on deer doe tags, and turkey tags. I have hunted and owned land in Wisconsin long enough to have been a part of all the changes, my achery tag was once good for a deer or a bear..

25-Apr-18
By the way, I am not a fan of compounds or crossbows, never needed either to fill my tags.

25-Apr-18
If you don't like a compound don't shoot one,,,,,,, I shoot both long bow and compound, do not see either as a big deal, just plain fun....... as for the discussion here, it is pretty plain, its all about the deer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

25-Apr-18
Crossbows have a much larger impact on the hunting community than just deer. In fact, if only Wisconsin deer are to be considered, then I agree crossbows should be allowed unrestricted in the Wisconsin archery season. They currently have no negative effect on population goals..................... and are merely a next progression of the 90% let off compound bow.

25-Apr-18
The progression with the compound is at its peak, the point is we don't need another weapon with even more progression.

25-Apr-18
Pasq, +1000

25-Apr-18
"They currently have no negative effect on population goals..." Why is it so difficult for people to grasp the concept that deer management in WI has far more goals than simply managing for population? And, take note of the word "currently."

26-Apr-18
Actually I am as old if not older than most....you dopes don`t understand the idea of "divide and conquer". The oldest strategy known to man to defeat an enemy, and you fell for it.

I think the traditional shooters should start whining about compound bows that shoot 330 fps....release aids....80% let off. I won`t even get into the hacks using Trail cameras...scents....electronic calls....Ozone depletion systems.

I think we should OUTLAW the compound bow next....who`s in?

26-Apr-18
Ben you wrote the Declaration of Independence and didn't use spaces between the apostrophe. Why here?

26-Apr-18
Pas...CaptMike....dont waste your time talking these people.

26-Apr-18
Let`s make a deal....you guys keep looking out for your own self interest and we will look out for the sport of hunting for EVERYONE in Wisconsin....deal???

26-Apr-18
"I think we should OUTLAW the compound bow next....who`s in?" I'll be on pins and needles waiting for and reading about all the support. Tell us Franklin, just what have you done to benefit the sport of hunting?

27-Apr-18
Ben Franklin you put a space in your word again. It's "Let's" not "Let ' s". We know you are older but should have paid attention in your one room school house. It's okay though, we all just care how you hunt, spell and your punctuation.

27-Apr-18
"Tell us Franklin, just what have you done to benefit the sport of hunting?"

Yes Franklin tell us, CaptMike helped the sport of hunting by caving and voting to get the crossbow season we now have which runs concurrent with the archery season and he thinks we should all be proud of him and thank him. But now he seems to hate anyone who takes part in it and enjoys pitting hunters against other hunters. Have you done anything as great as that? lmao

27-Apr-18
Punterrr, you should have been there. Maybe you could have stopped me from selling you out for a tall frosty one.

28-Apr-18
Everyone back to rocks, clubs and spears. (Oops, they'll need to have different seasons....DAMN, already a complication)! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

03-Jul-18
Jabby, tell the truth. You are not on pins and needles but rather you are on shots and beers.

03-Jul-18
CaptMike, Maybe it's not the pins but rather the needles?

04-Jul-18
Noc, I think he is too cheap for anything with needles, unless he makes it himself.

04-Jul-18
All the pissing and moaning and crying and complaining doesn't amount to a hill of beans!

If you want to CHANGE things - your in the wrong place!

The only BIGGEST benefit this site offers to most of us, is the ability to "vent".

That's it!

04-Jul-18
"The only BIGGEST benefit this site offers to most of us, is the ability to "vent". That's it!"

Not necessarily. There are those who lurk here who DO have a bit more to say in what goes on at the state level. So expressing your views here as a valid Wisconsin resident does have it's value. Also, joining a Wisconsin state archery organization contributes your voice to the debate. Just don't expect instantaneous change. It just doesn't work that way.

04-Jul-18
Good post, Myke

• Sitka Gear