bb 21-Apr-18
N8tureBoy 22-Apr-18
Dr. Williams 22-Apr-18
Wild Bill 22-Apr-18
Dr. Williams 23-Apr-18
Will 23-Apr-18
20-Apr-18

Dr. Williams's Link
2022. Here is some homework for guys who read this site. There is something called the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and the link here is a summary description jointly prepared by The Wildlife Society and the Boone and Crockett Club. The stuff I write about here on how wildlife is owned by the public, the managing state agency act as custodians of how that wildlife is managed, and each state being responsible for management of its wildlife is not made up by me. It is the model on which management of the wildlife resource is based nationally. Each state manages its resources as it sees fit by the public process. If you are a resident taxpayer in a state, you have a voice as to how wildlife is managed in that state. Because federal funds may be used for a project in another state or because you pay sales tax or a toll to another state in no way permits you a voice how their wildlife is managed. You can complain about it on a website, but that’s all you can do. Because the states manage their own wildlife resource is why the Lacey Act exists. What the Lacey Act says is that if wildlife are taken illegally in one state and brought across state lines where it may be legal to take and/or possess that species, it then becomes a violation of federal law. If you arrow a deer 100’ from a dwelling in NY State and tag it in CT where there is no archery setback law, then it becomes a federal violation as that illegally taken deer crossed state lines. The existence of the Lacey Act further solidifies that each state has the say in how the resident resources are managed within the boundaries of that state, except of course for migratory species that readily travel across state lines. Those are managed federally and internationally (waterfowl, striped bass, tuna, rails, woodcock, coots, etc.). So read up and then let’s have an educated conversation about the management of the wildlife resource instead of me saying the sky is blue, then the same guys arguing and belittling me saying it is green, when all they have to do is educate themselves and look up and see that it is clearly blue.

20-Apr-18
The North American Model of Conservstion is amazing. Wildlife managed by the state for the public works for the benefit of the people and the wildlife. The Lacey Act is a great tool to protect these resources between the states. I doubt anyone would disagree.

I do disagree with the assumption that non residents don't have a say in how wildlife is managed in other states. I often write letters and make calls to the officials making wildlife decisions. I may not be able to vote in that state but I let them know that I may be forced to take my money( tags, lodging, gas, food, outfitters) elsewhere. Non residents can and often join state organizations that use their membership and donations to lobby and influence decisions. As a land owner in another state, I stay aware of changing policies and voice my opinion as a taxpayer in that state. Alone my voice is lost among the residents, but I'm not the only non resident making my voice heard. It does have some influence.

20-Apr-18
Collectively non residents voices have some weight in the decision making process, but only to a degree. Advantages in available tags, tag and license costs are always going to favor residents, as it should.

20-Apr-18
I agree that states should favor residents. I'm thinking more in terms of non resident hunters siding with resident hunters help gain momentum with officials on issues.

21-Apr-18
Yes. Good point. I too am a nonresident landowner in another state. And you are correct that we pay taxes and voices should be heard. Good for you for voicing your thoughts. I guess I was simplifying things given past conversations here about non-taxpayers trying to dictate management when they have no authority. Like CT taxpayers trying to influence SI management decisions because they don't like it.

21-Apr-18
Skipmaster, I agree that non residents are heard by officials on issues. the more desirable the hunting destination the more non residents buying tags/licenses at non resident prices, Hotels, meals, fuel, general shopping and spending money, the more their voices carry weight, It's hard for states to ignore the monetary value of many non residents wanting to come to your state to spend money. Now, I'm not so sure CT is that type of destination point where the decision makers give a lot of credence to non resident voices. I may be wrong as I have not researched it but intuitively I would guess that CT is not a big hunting destination point for non residents.

21-Apr-18
I own property in towns I do not live in. Paying taxes there entitles me to vote on matters involving finances. I may not be able to vote for a politician, but I can vote on budget matters. My opinion damn sure does matter and count.

21-Apr-18
Yes. We've progressed from paying taxes in one state and dictating management in another, to paying sales taxes and tolls in another state, now to non-resident property taxes in adjacent state like Steve contributed about NY in a different thread. My original post did not include non-resident taxpaying property owners. Thanks for bringing it up. Private land is huge in the wildlife management field, particularly in the east. VT permits you to hunt your own property without having to purchase a license as long as it's not posted.

21-Apr-18
I own property in VT and don't post my property, but I'd never feel right about not buying a license. I get why they made the rule, but I just couldn't kill an animal without giving back to state conservation

21-Apr-18
Every State is a little different on what they will allow and won't. I owned a house in AZ. Still own land there. Because I wasn't considered a resident, I could not buy a resident license or apply for tags as a resident, even though I'm paying for property taxes, and all the other things that go along with owning a home at the local level, I'm still categorized as a non resident. The Game and fish Department solicits residents and non residents for feed back when making policies, which I find to be a good thing.

22-Apr-18
One flaw with our system is when a wealthy non-resident who pays no CT taxes can make a large financial contribution to an animal rights group, which in turn influences lawmakers to vote a certain way - in spite of what the states fish/game biologists recommend with regard to wildlife management.

22-Apr-18
Yes N8, that is true. Plus those kind of organizations know the public process of fish and game legislation and ownership waaaay better than most hunters. I have guys yelling and insulting me on this site despite the fact they are dead wrong. PETA knows and are going for the jugular while local hunters remain largely ignorant. Sad.

22-Apr-18
"local hunters remain largely ignorant" "despite the fact they are dead wrong" " waaaay better than most hunters"

Have you considered that just maybe it is more of a problem with how you say things, rather than what you say? Ya know, attitude?

23-Apr-18
0642. It doesn't matter how I say it and I'll say it again. Animal rights groups know the legislative process around hunting and trapping and that wildlife are held in public trust waaaaaay better than local hunters do. That's a fact proven by the ignorance broadcast on this site by some. I don't need to be talked down to by ignorant hunters arguing that they can't help themselves and if they pay sales or federal taxes, they have say in another state's management of their non-migratory game species. Be doers. Make change. Look what happened in Michigan. Hunters didn't like non-lethal efforts for deer management, banded together, talked to their legislators, and a bill was just approved putting a moratorium on non-lethal work till 2022.

23-Apr-18
That's awesome on Michigan - COOL!!!

That's a great review of the Model. Thanks for posting it up. In fairness, I've only skimmed it to this point... but picked up some neat things. The pick early on of the folks who started the model is a who's who for sure.

A question I'd ponder at this point, is the science part of it. It feels like science is being so de-legitimatized today, that one cant help but wonder if that will play a role in unraveling the model. That's a worrisome component to me...

• Sitka Gear