spike78 24-Apr-18
awalk228 24-Apr-18
hickstick 24-Apr-18
hunterma 24-Apr-18
TT-Pi 24-Apr-18
Tekoa 24-Apr-18
captain 28-Apr-18
23-Apr-18
With the season almost here, I'm curious about the thoughts you all have on "scoring"turkeys. I think it requires an official weight, spur length and beard length and then those are added together or something...?

I've shot a few big birds, a couple 23+ #'s over the years. Some with long beards in the 10-10.5" range. But I never thought of "scoring" them. In fairness, I dont really care. But reading something about it this weekend made me wonder if folks do care, and do put effort into getting it done?

I'm a total meat hunter with turkey's. I'm at a point where early season Ill pass Jakes, most of the time... But if we are late in week two... Nope. Darn things taste to good :). So I guess that while I've shot some big ones, ive never really tried to find one pre season, scout him and work for a single bird... Just not my MO so to speak...

How about you guys/gals?

23-Apr-18
I never have but I think all my birds only average 19# 6 to 9" beard and 3/4" spurs so probably doesnt make the cut.

23-Apr-18
In the past, I've simply shot the first legal bird that gave me a good shot. It never mattered to me if it was a mature tom or a jake. I might handle it differently this year. There are so many around, I don't want to end my season too quickly. That said, if mature toms come into my set-up on my first two hunts, that'll be the end of the season for me.

As far as scoring them goes, I've never done that. Unless I think I've skewered Tomzilla, I doubt I'll ever do it.

23-Apr-18
I may have the record for lowest score... 11 pounds, 1/16" spurs, 1 inch beard.... still taste good!!

23-Apr-18
Yup Moons they are all the same to me! I think my smallest was 15 pounds and 3 inch beard. Dont matter to me!

23-Apr-18
nope...sorry moons. shot a bird in the fall one year from my treestand. 8 pounds. lol obviously a 1st year bird, but yup it was delicious. called a whole flock in but it was the only one that gave me a good shot.

I have never even considered scoring a turkey Will, heck never even considered scoring a deer either. lol...maybe if I shot something in the 190 range I might consider it....but that'll never happen. he he

23-Apr-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo

23-Apr-18
Rotisserie!!!

23-Apr-18
I shot a turkey egg. 3.4 ounces ... I win.

23-Apr-18
Hmm..talking eating turkey makes me wonder how ya'll like to cook em?

23-Apr-18
Interesting points. Usually, Dinky, I bone em out and put the thighs/legs etc into soup, then bake the breasts with a little butter, and unlimited veggies.

Last year though I plucked one and baked it whole, like a Thanksgiving dinner. Tasted great.

We also make stock out of the carcass.

24-Apr-18
My favorite is cutting the breast meat into chunks, dip in egg, roll them in flour mixed with salt, pepper, sugar, and cayenne. Fry them in a cast iron with about an inch of hot oil. I can't wait for the season to start!

24-Apr-18
Sometimes the wild birds can be tough, I've kind of reached the point where I just grind up all the meat with a little bacon thrown in for flavor and to add some fat content. Voila, turkey burgers.

24-Apr-18
Hunterma - that sounds totally awesome! Never thought to grind one...

Awalk - that sounds amazing as well. Glad you guys put those up... Some new ideas to try :)

24-Apr-18
I like to do what awalk does but sometimes I'll cut them into cutlets and cook them the same way. Toasted roll, lettuce, tomato, honey mustard... mmmmmm

24-Apr-18
Hunterma, the best way I found to cook wild turkey is in an oven bag or on grill marinated and wrapped in foil. I find if you throw in the oven like a Butterball the meat gets dry and tough. Try the oven bag and completely different bird.

24-Apr-18
Moons that's a great idea! I never even thought of doing that. Spike I like using oven bags for Grouse so it looks like I'll have to try it on some turkey as well.

24-Apr-18
the 8lb jake above I plucked, brined, and smoked on my grill for thanksgiving. it was awesome.

24-Apr-18
Never tried the oven bag for game birds, maybe this year if the hunting gods smile on me.

24-Apr-18
Breast cutlets: Brush on Mayo, sprinkle with bread crumbs and parm. Oven at 350 till done. Great for chicken too.

24-Apr-18
The awalk method first. Add cooked rice, I veggies and BBQ sauce. Turkey stir fry.

Leg quarters get heavily seasoned. Place in casserole dish with water 1/2 way up meat. Cover tightly with tin foil. 425 for 40 min. Flip reseason and recover. Another 40 min. Make sure foil is tight. Want them steamed Tekoa

28-Apr-18
grind for turkey burger that's how i like it

• Sitka Gear