drslyr 24-Apr-18
Moons22 24-Apr-18
Jimbo 25-Apr-18
Will 25-Apr-18
Belchertown Bowman 25-Apr-18
drslyr 25-Apr-18
Belchertown Bowman 25-Apr-18
23-Apr-18
Apple tree post made me think of this, but it is sort of off that topic. My son and I were watching North Woods Law, and they had some guys hunting near an apple tree—which is legal of course. My son wondered if it would be legal if they shook the tree, to dislodge the apples. So I wrote to the Maine game wardens and got an answer. They told me shaking the tree is legal, and I was quite surprised. Bringing apples in, of course, is baiting, and illegal in Maine. So you’re allowed to cause apples to move vertically, but not horizontally. In case you’d been wondering.

23-Apr-18
What if a truck carrying apples flipped over and the apples tumbled way down the ravine 501ft. from the road. Could you hunt over those?

24-Apr-18
It's a strange law, grow 100 acres of corn and hunt over thousands of ears of standing corn....fine. Throw two ears of corn under your tree stand....baiting.

24-Apr-18
What if ya throw apples under an apple tree,.. ?

My head hurts,...

24-Apr-18
Lets do it guys. We can all get together and hire a helicopter. We can then "vertically" dump 1K # of apples in front of our stands. He he he. I like it :)

Jeb you been fishing..? I got a few wild brookies Saturday in one of those streams we PM'd about... but that's been all I could muster for trips (insert very sad face emoji here). Note to all of you: When you decide to have your basement finished, 1.) start months in advance to move the 15~ years worth of crud you have down there out rather than about 2 weeks, and 2.) do not decide said home project should occur during Turkey season (what the hell was I thinking!)!

24-Apr-18
The line between food plots and baiting has become rather blurred. I see both sides of it. But i figure if you take the time to actually grow food, its different. That stuff takes a lot of work and time.

24-Apr-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
We baited him. Is this legal?

24-Apr-18
drslyr - only if you used a circle hook ;)

24-Apr-18
Jeb, the title of this thread reminded me of a musician back in the day who talked about the same. Might be an easy one, but who was it?

24-Apr-18
Nice Brown, GPS coordinates please??

24-Apr-18
Beware of that music BC, it can lead to dancing and card playing. Will I appreciated your mentioning those streams, hope to get out there soon. My son actually caught his first trout last night on a worm, he was pretty pleased. Plan is to get him some bluegills on flies, then trout on flies when he has the hang of it.

24-Apr-18
Is that a salmon? Looks like forked tail?

24-Apr-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
That my boys and girls is a Quabbin lake trout in the 5lb + class.

24-Apr-18
Lakers!! Nice one slayer

25-Apr-18
Nice trout!

25-Apr-18
Drslyr - is it me, or has the res been on the upswing with regards to cold water species size. I know smelt seem to be rebounding a little, wonder if that's the whole deal.

Saw a pick of a buddy with a LL Salmon that had to be 26-28" which he released... That had me pondering it... But your son's chubby Laker add's to my thoughts.

25-Apr-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Will,.. we have seen a massive drop off in coal energy production in the last 10 years,.. this will result in cleaner lakes, streams and air. Before my life is done we may actually see Mercury fish eating warnings from coal disappear,.. least that is my hope.

It would make sense you would see this in the lakes first as they tend to collect pollutants. My guess is you will see a rebound quickly, as nature has shown it can heal itself when given the opportunity.

This trend will continue as Nat Gas, Solar and Wind, are crushing coal generation costs,.. and are much cleaner. Most coal generation facilities are losing money and will be out of business soon enough.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-26/half-of-all-u-s-coal-plants-would-lose-money-without-regulation

Expect to see these changes coming even more in the next 20 years or so.

http://www.powermag.com/eia-coal-plant-closures-lead-to-large-emissions-drop/

25-Apr-18
Naw Will the quabbin has gone way downhill as far as fishing goes. However with the boat sealing program that cut the number of guys fishing there by more than half. People don't wanna dedicate their boat to only fishing Quabbin. Gets expensive at 40 bucks a pop to have it cleaned and sealed if you go some where else. So less fishermen more bigger fish right?

25-Apr-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Maybe Drslyr,.. but lake health is improving,.. just google it. here is one of many articles to read about it. As coal goes away ,.. lakes will be healthier. Less acid rain less Mercury. 2/3rds of all Mercury in lakes is from coal fired power plants.

https://environmentmassachusetts.org/reports/mae/toxic-waterways

As we change our power generation you will see its impact clear as day.

• Sitka Gear