pav 04-May-18
sticksender 04-May-18
Yttails 05-May-18
INbowdude 05-May-18
JTV 06-May-18
INbowdude 06-May-18
JTV 08-May-18
24-Apr-18
Best of luck to all us Hoosier turkey hunters this season. Stay safe, have fun and post those bird pictures.

25-Apr-18
I sat out this morning with my dad who was traveling through. Didn’t even hear a gobble. Over youth weekend there was lots of activity. It keeps it challenging I guess. Good luck everyone.

27-Apr-18

stick slinger's embedded Photo
Right before the shot
Right before the shot
I suck at this photo thing.
I suck at this photo thing.
Try one more
Try one more
Filled my tag this morning. Fun hunt for sure.

28-Apr-18
Congrats to you!!!

03-May-18
Scored this morning in spite of some heavy storms passing through.

He weighed about 22 lbs, with a 10-1/4" beard and 7/8" spurs. Used a Vortex head on him.

04-May-18
Congrats guys.

Which Vortex are you shooting Greg? After my last two experiences shooting turkeys with fixed blades....I'm switching back to mechanicals (for turkeys only). Killed both birds, but distance traveled after the shots made for interesting recoveries. I don't like interesting recoveries!

04-May-18
Paul in this case I think there's a chance I wouldn't have gotten this bird with a fixed head. It was a marginal shot that passed through the body cavity but just missed the vitals, but it cut a really big gash. He was hobbling and couldn't fly so I was able to chase him down and shoot him again. I was using a 2-bladed Vortex head with a 2-3/4" cutting diameter. The company was out of business for a while, but Steven Ward is now producing them again. I've also used the 3-bladed Grim Reapers 1-3/4" cut, but prefer the bigger Vortex for turkeys.

04-May-18
Thanks Greg. I've killed several birds with Wasp Jak Hammers....a three blade mechanical head with 1-3/4" cut. Only issue I ever had with those was lack of penetration at the wing butt. I don't aim for the wing butt....but sometimes it happens. That's why I have been experimenting with fixed heads. Like your shot, my arrow completely penetrated the body cavity, but my bird was able to walk off into the woods before expiring. Expect that would not have happened if using a big cutting diameter mechanical.

I'm seeing several large diameter 2 blades on the market right now, but am struggling with the concept of a two blade flat cut versus a three blade triangular cut.

04-May-18
Yeah, intuitively the 3 blade design seems better, meaning it seems like you are getting more total cutting effect. But in actual results the super-wide 2-blades are very effective as well. And I kinda like the o-ring blade retainer design of the Vortex....it adds some resistance for opening which is probably good for turkeys. Can’t go wrong with either option though.

05-May-18
Congrats Greg!

05-May-18
Congrats guys! I shot a jake with the shotgun on 4/27 in the morning before I had to go teach. Very fun hunt but since it was a gun hunt, I won't post the pics. Delicious!

06-May-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
glad some guys are connecting... had 2 jakes and a nice tom come in but hang up on a ridge about 55-60 yds off, they checked out the decoys and left ... then had 5 hens walk right past the decoys .. go figure ... had this happen more than once this season... all on State land/F&W areas

06-May-18
Good luck Jeff, it'll happen!

08-May-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
Ive heard more birds gobbling than ever this season, had Toms come in and hang up in the woods, when the decoys were in a field... then had a big Tom come in behind me at 10 yds and look over my shoulder so to speak to check things out .... I may have only one more time to sit, and that is Saturday at a small place Ive never been to/ 300 acres, that has had guys on it from day one... the last of my draw hunts ..... that last photo, I watched 2 hens fly down out in front f me (Refuge) then a BIG Tom fly down behind them... he would fluff and Gobble when I yelped, they all walked off towards the tree line to the far distance/right side... there were 10 birds along that tree line, 4 were big Toms... I came around at 10Am and set up again on the edge of the refuge line where all those birds were... those birds were with hens and all went into the tree line/ridge at 11am... its refuge, so all I can do is watch... it happens like that every year in the same spot ... fun to watch however, all the strutting/gobbling... they know where it is safe ...lol ..

• Sitka Gear