cnelk 27-Apr-18
oldgoat 27-Apr-18
Ermine 27-Apr-18
Quinn @work 27-Apr-18
Treeline 28-Apr-18
Glunt@work 28-Apr-18
25-Apr-18

Grasshopper's Link
The May commission meeting information is posted on the web here: http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMeeting2018-5.aspx

The May meeting will occur prior to the next board CBA board meeting, so I would encourage folks to take some time to look over areas of concern, and bring any issues they notice to my attention. You are also encouraged to write the PWC with your comments.

I am out of the state helping my Mom until Sunday. Her husband just passed (step dad), and she had dentures installed a week ago so my time to look at this long list is short.

If you look at chapter W-2 link, May is the month quotas are set for big game limited licenses, and the list is very long, challenging to read, and form opinions about. If you click on the link for chapter W-2, there is a good executive summary, and then it breaks it into unit quota recommendations. One item that jumped out at me is the recommendations to make modest increases to high country RIFLE buck QUOTAS, as those can be a conflict concern to some of our CBA members and non members. That said, I have only glanced at the list, it is big.

If you read the agenda, there is an update on the coming BGSS. As well, habitat stamp fund usage will be discussed.

It is my plan to attend both days in Grand Junction, if you are in that neck - come say hi at the meeting. Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

25-Apr-18
Dang. I hope they don’t start hammering the high country deer. We don’t need that

25-Apr-18
thanks for posting this GH

25-Apr-18
Upon reviewing the document, there is going to be quite a few people very surprised when the results come out.

As far as the increased rifle deer tags, maybe the predator control that took place actually helped the deer herd. Or rifle hunters arent doing the harvest they should be.

It should be noted that ML deer tags also increased

Thanks for posting

25-Apr-18

Grasshopper's Link
Also, take a look at the BGSS link. It appears one idea being discussed already is converting OTC archery either sex licenses into bull only archery tags in some GMU's.

26-Apr-18
Ugghhhh they are cutting a lot of tags from my unit

26-Apr-18
It would be nice to have these numbers before the draw deadline

26-Apr-18
Yeah it sure would Orion!

26-Apr-18
Looks like they bumped up the deer tags we applied for.

26-Apr-18
How does CBA view loss of tags for archery against additional tags for rifle hunts? Particularly in the rifle hunts that are in the same areas, same timeframe and for the same species that archery hunters are hunting. Is there any focus on increasing or improving archery opportunities? Is there any traction or leverage that can be used in discussions with the wildlife commission to have fewer rifle hunters (bear, early buck, early cow elk, etc, etc) in the archery seasons?

26-Apr-18
Lolllll!!!!

So all deer tags are bumped up overall??? Am I reading that right?

26-Apr-18
Bumped down for archery in one of the units I applied for, but there are more early rifle tags!

26-Apr-18
Out eastern plains, tag quote dropped

26-Apr-18
Side topic from the tag allocation, but did anyone else read the game damage claims? I knew/understand that wildlife causes fence damage and bears destroy things looking for food, which are understandable to pay, but some of these figures.... 1. Where do the funds come from to pay for these game damage claims? I would imagine it comes from tag fees? 2. I understand ranchers have the right to make a living too, but how is a rancher's choice to graze on public or leased land a CPW problem ( or my problem if it comes from tag fees) when wildlife eats their sheep? Graze your sheep where bears live, what did you expect to happen?

At first glance, it just appears to me that its an abused system. Guys asking for 20-40k a year because their sheep or hay is being eaten? For multiple years in a row? Again, I understand paying for a fence repair and such, but paying for eaten sheep? Just trying to better understand the relationship here.

26-Apr-18
Pm me your analysis if your finding unit specific discrepancies in method of take.

26-Apr-18
Hard to read on my phone. I was one line off on archery, no change for buck or either sex tag numbers.

However I did see that they cut archery tags and rifle tags in 49 but did not cut muzzle loader tags.

The bigger question still goes back to why are there so many rifle and muzzle loader tags on top of archery? How do we get an archery season without gun hunters?

26-Apr-18
Treeline

May want to double check those 49 archery/rifle tags

26-Apr-18
Will do when I can look at it on the computer. Dang tough on the phone screen and my old age eyes make it even tougher!

26-Apr-18
The unit 49 elk management plan was just approved by the commission, we are lucky we didn't see a reduction as our success rate is really good in 49.

26-Apr-18
I did see that one, Steve. Would be nice if Colorado would develop management strategies to have the rest of the elk unit’s success by method be more in line with some of the better units...

27-Apr-18
It was nice to see that the North Park moose units got 22.225% more bull tags allotted [ even more cow tags]

27-Apr-18
Well, seeing your post about the moose made me look at unit I put in for, bulls stayed the same, resident cow got cut by one and non resident cow got increased by one, doesn't make sense to me except for the money!

27-Apr-18
Yea some of the stuff the commission does doesn’t make any sense. Like them shortening the August season for sheep in some units. Why shorten it? That makes it even harder for someone to kill sheep with a bow when the success is already very limited

27-Apr-18
Glad to see moose permit numbers rising! I hope we don't have the same ticks here in Colorado as they do in ME, NH & VT that are killing their moose. If so lets hope for long cold winters every year. It's a shame what's happening to the New England Moose.

28-Apr-18
Or wolves in large numbers, yet. They have decimated the moose in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.

28-Apr-18

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Moose are declining in a lot of areas even without wolves. Brain worm, ticks, development, climate and other factors are at play. The problem is that when moose decline for whatever reason, we can control human harvest but wolves just keep on eating. Wolves aren't always the reason a game population declines but they amplify the problem and are a huge obstacle in the way of fixing it.

• Sitka Gear