casekiska 29-Apr-18
upnorth 29-Apr-18
Crusader dad 29-Apr-18
Missouribreaks 29-Apr-18
upnorth 29-Apr-18
25-Apr-18

DoorKnob's embedded Photo
DoorKnob's embedded Photo
I'm flexible on the numbers I just put in what seems reasonable to me based on personal knowledge and experience. Range is really the issue.

ps I have no firsthand knowledge for hi tech xbows or even hi tec compounds. I am not personally aware of anyone taking a longer than 40 yard shot with ANY type bow, let alone making a harvest. Any arrow is subject to wind, tradjectory and broadhead issues.

I'll make a new graphic when better data is provided. What do we feel are the reasonable max ranges and practical ranges ?

25-Apr-18
I have seen three inch groups at 100 yards with a crossbow so that is a reasonable range to use when you make your new graph.

25-Apr-18
Rifle is only 400? My 338 edge can stay on a pie plate at 800 yds if the wind plays nice. By Capt's logic it should be good to go out to at least 1400.

25-Apr-18
I’m sorry, but this has to be one of the more ridiculous threads I’ve stumbled on in here this 2018 and that says a lot.

25-Apr-18
Doorknob , you got me thinking . A perfect way to "hold the line " while hunting deer during the archery season no deer shall be shot at beyond 30 yards., regardless of weapon choice . That rule if it was a rule would take care of everything . / preserve the archery deer hunt forever . Once someone hunts close they never forget the experience and will be back for more . Also their stories of a close hunt their experience up close to a wild animal draw others in . Nobody is really captaviated by a deer steak from a deer shot at 250 yards . That is why we have chicken and cows . Also everyone should take the challenge . Shoot a rifle shoot a compound shoot a cross bow and than shoot a one string bow . Which one ? Which one is pure fun ?

25-Apr-18
The experience of shooting a deer with a crossbow from a shooting rest in a blind over a corn pile at 30 yards and shooting a deer with any bow that has to be raised, drawn by hand, held at full draw, and involves at least some practiced form are light years apart. Limiting the distance is only a very small piece of leveling the playing field.

26-Apr-18
????????

26-Apr-18
Skook gets it. This is not a very intelligent thread.

26-Apr-18
I'm of the thought that bowhunting is "how close can I get", not "how far can I hit".

The factor of shooting at a living, breathing creature rather than a foam target never seems to be in the discussion. Those 3-D shoots are fun, including the long scorecard breaker shots, but those critters don't move...ever.

Deer, elk, antelope...what have you...those buggers DO. Factor that when deciding to attempt that long shot.

I'm a longbow/recurve guy, and mainly a home state whitetail hunter. My Wyoming buddy once asked how far my shots generally are...after thinking about it, I realized that while I've killed a couple around 25 yards, the majority have been of the 8 to 15 yard variety. Granted, the gnarly stuff I hunt in pretty much mandates that, but it's also just my choice.

But, yeah...strange thread.

26-Apr-18
I also agree with Skook. A Stick bow shooter is in a league unto itself. That IS the pure sport.

26-Apr-18
There shooting 6 inch groups at 600 yards now with black powder now.

26-Apr-18
Canadian, use whatever distance you can keep a three inch group. Yes, a stupid thread but this is entertainment.

26-Apr-18
Capt, your on the thread. Stupid much. LOL

26-Apr-18
++ From: CaptMike 25-Apr-18 Private Reply I have seen three inch groups at 100 yards with a crossbow so that is a reasonable range to use when you make your new graph. ++

Have you see that with broadheads under hunt conditions? Would that guy you saw say make the attempt on a deer? Ethical hunters limit themselves responsibly regardless of weapon type.

Who would like to throw out their numbers for realistic max distances given appropriate conditions FOR WEAPONS YOU actually use, not what you heard. I'd like to fine tune the data.

Thanks

26-Apr-18
Yes Doorknob. It was done outside (hunting conditions) and with expandable broadheads.

26-Apr-18
I was with my daughters boyfriend last summer after he purchased a xbow due to medical reasons, he consistantly hit a paper plate at 80yrds from a climber. Mid range quality xbow, 3 shots at 30 yrds, moved to 50yrds, then 80yrds. He took 2 bucks in Mi last season both at 70yrds, Also missed one at 85yrds. I wont let him hunt on my land with it. I dont know how this will fit in your new graph, but it was witnessed with my own eyes.

26-Apr-18
My partner on the Vernon County land, has a cross bow now,,,, he is 68 long time rifle hunter, never bow hunted,,,, he passed several bucks last year at 40, he wants 25 yards and in......................................

I mostly hunt solo, and with long bow,,,,, I shoot 15 yards and in,,,, that's it, and when I shoot, I never doubt my shot, that is a dead deer,,,,,,, However the years out west, on elk, shot with compound, very close nothing over 25,,,,,, but deer 55 yards was a reality on the grass lands, and I practiced a lot, to accomplish solid hits, at that distance.....

Believe me the old guys years ago, launched some arrows, nothing new about it,,,,, some guys can just plain shoot, others not so much,,,, shoot what you know your good at, its that simple,,,,, not my business how far you shoot,,,,,, its your business to take a ethical, shot,,,,,,,,,,

today I know of at least one guy, who shot 45 yards with his shotgun, and lost and wasted yet another bird,,,,, I think turkeys are wounded and lost the most

26-Apr-18
I'm comfortable shooting my compound out to 40/45yds in hunting conditions.

I'm not comfortable with anything over 10 yds with my yumi but by fall I'd like to be comfortable with it out to 25/30 yds.

Obviously I'd like all my shots within 10 yds but that's not a realistic expectation for what should be many years of hunting left for me.

26-Apr-18
GH, Im with you on this. Some people are very accurate at longer distances. When I lived in Co. I knew some guys that could really shoot at long distances. Its not for all, and definately not for me. Im a 30 yd max but prefer 20 or less. Also when I was living out west I knew some guys that could shoot their rifles, (7mm mags),700 to 800 yds no problem and be dead on.

26-Apr-18
xtroutx,,,, I had a lot of trigger time in my life, behind some excellent rifles,,,,, I could shoot my first Rem XB well out to 700 yards, and that rifle was crude, compare to years later, shooting and working with a custom rifle made for the job, ..........

Crusdader I have to respectfully disagree, I think 15 yards and in, is very realistic on a white tail set up, passing deer beyond, and letting them walk and they never knowing you were there, will give you the opportunity, as time goes on

27-Apr-18
Many years ago, I would go to Trad Shoots, where distance shooting, was part of the event...... There would be 100 yard money shoots, with the money on the target, and the misses of the bullseye, increased your payment, which was left on the target.......

I remember one guy with a 66 inch long bow, shooting in the 60lb range, who would win that all the time, I think it was at the Eau Claire shoots,,,,,, My longest bow is 64 Big River at 53lbs, and it will launch 100 yards easily,,,,,, lots of fun.......

last weekend I went to Ojibwa, but in Fond du Lac, at a club, they had a flight shoot contest, 50 80 and 100 yarder,,,, all bow divisions, I would have like to gone to that....

I love to launch an arrow,,,,,,,,, I belong to a rifle club, that during the week, I can shoot out to 200 yards, or at least try, to get an arrow to really fly, its amazing how lethal a bow can be,,,,,,, I just can imagine what the 100lb English long bows did for damage

27-Apr-18
Hey GH I nailed that 60 yard bear at Ojibwe last weekend with my old Pearson's recurve.

But it's all fun and games....I would never attempt that shot under hunting circumstances.

27-Apr-18
I did too, once I got the right arrow on that long bow,,,,, that 1916 shot just great,,,, I put on those fluffy feathers, that go around the shaft, behind the nock, that stick on, and you could watch the flight,,,,,,,,,

27-Apr-18
According to GH sticks have the same range as Horizontal wheels?

27-Apr-18
Door Knob a long bow, will go a long ways, check out the clout shoots in England and Scotland, on You Tube,,,,,, most of those guys are pulling back about 100lb bows, I could never do that,,,,,,,,,

I would imagine a horizontal wheel, may go 300 yards, I don't know, never launched one, like that, I should do that, at the rifle range, and just see,,,,,,

27-Apr-18

27-Apr-18
I've been very intrigued by the crossbow lovers so thought I'd give it a try. Just like their lazy counterparts in the gangs do, I turned my compound on it's side, so it was a horizontal weapon. I know it works for the bangers but they must be a little smarter than I as I could not figure out how to draw it, much less hit anything with it. Might give it another try tomorrow. Think I'll pull my pants down around my knees, give the baseball hat a quarter turn and let the underwear hang out. Yo, I'll let you know the way the thang works out!

27-Apr-18
More lip service than a $20.00 hooker ^^^

27-Apr-18
This hooker does not use a crossbow. You know one who does???

28-Apr-18
Ground Hunter, I understand what you're saying but if I'm being honest, I'm not going to turn down a shot opportunity at 40yds "hoping" for something closer. I think 40yds with a compound is perfectly acceptable and if that's the shot I have, it's the one I'm taking. 90% of my shots have been inside 15 yds but some have been all the way out to 39. I'm just being honest in respect to this thread regarding effective weapon ranges.

My open sight 12 gauge is a 100 yd gun for me. It has a rifled barrel and I use copper solid sabot slugs. I don't gun hunt anymore but if I do, that's the gun I use and I have no qualms about taking a 100 yd shot with it.

28-Apr-18
Crusader I agree, I was talking about using your stick bow,,,,,,

28-Apr-18
To me its not so much the weapon its the person shooting it . Since I've opened my range I seen guys that wouldn't have a problem shooting a deer at 60 yards . I have also seen guys that I have watched shoot for years that I would be surprised to hear they got a deer at 20 yards . I have also seen people that are extremely accurate out to 75 yards and still loose a lot of deer they shot at at 20 because they get to rattled .

28-Apr-18
GH, ummm yeah, I can't hit the broadside of a barn with that thing yet:-)

28-Apr-18
All lip Capt.

Still waiting!

29-Apr-18
DT, this hooker does not use a crossbow. You know one who does??? You first... LMFAO!

29-Apr-18
Can't hit the broad side of a barn . There's the problem people don't practice .

29-Apr-18
Years ago, when it was all stick bows and recurves we would start practicing in the spring to build our muscles up and improve our shooting to be ready by opening day in September. Today, with all the new technology, that has changed for many people.

Of course I do not know for certain, but I would guess that less than 20% of the licensed bowhunters in the state are members of a club and are active shooters year round. To me, pre-season practice was always a requirement and a rite of passage for the upcoming season. I still live by that code.

29-Apr-18
I have quit a few guys that shoot all year . We would probably go to a shoot every other week if they were still around . I have shot at least a dozen arrows a day since i got back from vacation . Had 45 people in league and probably a third of them come in a few times during the summer some more. Thats the reason I have a A and B division during league not many of the B shooters can compete with the A guys , They could if they had a better attitude towards shooting and put in the time . But I also have some that don't practice or shoot for 4 month pick up there bow and its like they have been shooting every day .

29-Apr-18
Up north, I just finished my bow 6 weeks ago. Since then I've been working at least 70hrs a week. Remodeling my entire basement including laying a badass tile pattern in my sons room and took the family to Jamaica for a week. I've had no time to practice with my new bow and there is a sharp learning curve. I'll get it figured out by the end of summer and be able to hit the bullseye on the barn come hunting season.

29-Apr-18

Missouribreaks's Link

29-Apr-18
I am kind of spoiled when it comes to shooting my bow . I can set by the cash register in the shop and get a 40 yards shot shooting out my door to the back target in the range . But every body has different priorities . Can only do what you can do .

• Sitka Gear