bigbuckbob 30-Apr-18
HolePuncher 06-May-18
air leak 06-May-18
GF 11-May-18
Bigbuckbob 11-May-18
27-Apr-18

Nothing's embedded Photo
Nothing's embedded Photo
Shot turkey at 6:00am this morning with slick trick . Turkey flew across river so I went home to get boots and with in 1 hour the turkey was eaten pretty baddly by a coyote

27-Apr-18
Nothing ( are you related to notme? ) First of all, great shot getting a bird with a bow, ultimate challenge for turkey short of chasing him down on foot and choking him into submission. Sorry to hear about the dog getting to him before you were able to retrieve him. What part of the state were you hunting?

27-Apr-18
Sorry to see a good hunt and dinner ruined. Maybe the good Dr can help you out with that problem since he has all the facts on coyotes

27-Apr-18
That sucks

27-Apr-18
Easy solution.....don't let your turkey outside. LMFBO ;)

Sorry to hear about your Tom.

27-Apr-18
Sorry to see anybody lose a Turkey. I've had them dead in flight and get flight and coast down a mountain for 1/2 mile never to be found (except by Coyotes later). I was just looking and didn't notice any Spurs?

Wondering if you have to tag it as a kill too?

28-Apr-18
i went on my first ever turkey hunt today. we were luckey enough to have to beautiful toms come right to our decoys at 10 yds. bird was broadside in full strut when i delivered a shwacker just above the drumsticks. everything but the fletchings made it through and he ran off with the arrow. found a ton of blood, but the trail went dry after 100 yards or so. we grid searched the area for 5 hours before we found an area 500+ yards away with feathers and blood scattered everywhere and it was clear a predator got to it before us. im thnking about getting either a string tracker, or switching to a guillotine broadhead, what do you guys think? im also wondering if i should tag and report this turkey?

28-Apr-18
Good luck HP. I hope you had a good time. Next time Try a 12 gauge. No tracking needed!!

29-Apr-18
I have always used smaller broad heads muzzy slick tricks and have only one turkey not recovered sounds like your shot was in the right place

29-Apr-18
Hole Puncher - That sucks. I would tag and report it regardless.

29-Apr-18
If I killed the bird, regardless of what happened to it afterwards, I would tag it. The coyote just came to dinner after your kill :)

29-Apr-18
I always use regular 2 blade broadheads no string tracker and all but one has died within 1 to 3 steps. I shoot them with a recurve and usually aim at the wing butt when broadside but shot one alongside the beard facing me. I usually get pass throughs too unless I hit the thigh bone

30-Apr-18
Guillotines are the only arrow head worth using on Turkeys, end of story. They fly great, spot on from my longbow out to 20 yards and I have never had a headless bird run away. I had to make a custom quiver to hold them safely but that's part of the game.

30-Apr-18
I aim for the base of the neck so if I miss there's no wounding the bird. But if I hit, even a glancing hit will close the deal.

06-May-18
was doing some testing with the smaller 100grain magnus bull heads and found i could only meet the mark consistanly at 12 yards max. Not confidence inspiring, but i guess ill move the decoys closer and hope to not feed anymore coyotes.

06-May-18
Sorry to hear that you lost your bird. That was quick.

Have to say, as much as I enjoy bowhunting, I love to hunt turkeys with my 870. My 2 sons and I have taken 4 so far this season, each one, shot right in the dome with 2oz of number 4s.

They don't go far.

Good luck to you and others here, for the rest of the season.

11-May-18
We’ve got a guy on Leatherwall who is a VERY experienced and just a helluva shot, and he’s a big fan of string trackers. He also made his own turkey heads; I think he took some blades off of a big mechanical and attached them in place of the standard bleeders on a very large COC head, but swept back so he can go for head-shots or any other angle that presents itself.

Uses plenty of bow, too...

Surprised to hear that the Bullheads weren’t flying well; maybe you need more fletching on the back end? That’s kind of a brute force solution, but if you’ve got the spine right to begin with, it shouldn’t be that hard to get tuned properly.... I just keep messing with it ‘til I can shoot bare shafts out to 20 or 30 yards. Sure lets you know when you’ve got a release issue going on....

JMO, if you shot an animal and now it’s dead, then you punch your tag. Which is not an excuse for not busting your butt to find the animal. Actually, I’m basically in favor of the South African model, where if you draw blood you’re done. If that were a law that could be enforced, it’d do WONDERS for the wounding rate.

11-May-18
GF, couldn't agree more

• Sitka Gear