Dinkshooter@work 03-May-18
Treeline 03-May-18
ZachinCO 04-May-18
CO Oak 04-May-18
yooper89 04-May-18
Ermine 04-May-18
alvallejo 06-May-18
29-Apr-18
Just wanted to tell people that the RMBS Banquet was fantastic on Friday and Saturday night. There were about 500 people in attendance and we enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait for next years banquet. The only thing that I noticed is that we are all getting older looking. Thankfully, there are younger members joining this great organization.

30-Apr-18
Thanks BIGHORN-

Before anyone asks about raffle winners here they are.

Bighorn sheep - Madie Demaske, CO

Mountain goat - Alex Bourlakov, CO

Pronghorn - William Krall, CO

6.5 Creedmoor - Donovan Boudreaux, CO

.338 Win Mag - Garrett Campbell, CO

Optics #1 - Shawn Everett, TX

Optics #2 - Scott Slining, CO

Optics #3 - Rick Bumgardner, CO

Thank you to everyone who purchased tickets and made the raffles such a success this year.

30-Apr-18
Congrats to those winners. And more definitive proof of sheep karma!

30-Apr-18
I was there for the meet and greet on Friday and the banquet on Saturday and I have to say it was a GREAT weekend! Huge thanks to the RMBS board and volunteers who put in a ton of time and effort to make this such a wonderful event.

30-Apr-18
Good time for sure!

Oh to be on that list above! Maybe someday.

30-Apr-18
Yep more rmbs members or there relatives pulling raffle tags.

30-Apr-18
Sandbrew, Can you post the ticket sale numbers for the Bighorn, Mountain Goat, and Pronghorn raffles? Would be interesting to know.

30-Apr-18
Orion

Did you come to the banquet or buy any tix?

30-Apr-18
Why?

30-Apr-18
Orion, here is a hint, If you didn’t buy any tickets; you had absolutely zero chance of winning.

30-Apr-18
I've bought plenty, I've attended numerous banquet, and have been an rmbs member. Now I just use that raffle tag money for my kids out of state hunts. Much more fun watching my 8 year old daughter kill booner antelope than see another board member win a raffle tag.

30-Apr-18
I vote Orion takes the Game manager Raffle training class then volunteers his time to run the 2019 raffles. I’m sure no one would complain and gladly enjoy the additional help.

http://cosos.learnercommunity.com/products/4076/games-manager-bingo-and-raffles-training

30-Apr-18
Otherwise he's just another blow hard running his mouth.

30-Apr-18

Orion's embedded Photo
Orion's embedded Photo
This is much more fun

30-Apr-18
Dinkshooter you can come help clear old fencing from the railroad to help the s71 sheep. Seems very few actually want to do projects.

30-Apr-18
Then you should keep your conspiracy theories to yourself and enjoy your free time.

30-Apr-18

30-Apr-18
Not a conspiracy theory just stated that another relative of a board member or a board member drew a raffle tag.

30-Apr-18
Cazador they posted the numbers on a thread on the rmbs site. I believe last year there were a little over 4000 ram tags sold

30-Apr-18
Your keen observations skills are certainly appreciated.

30-Apr-18
Why are you taking a statement personally? Judging by my PM's I'm not the only one making the obsrevation

30-Apr-18
Here's my final solution to Orion’s worries:

I'm going to pay the $20 for Orion to take the class to be the games manager. Then I'm going to buy him an official uniform (probably already has one in his closet) and associated equipment needed to patrol the raffle drawing at the 2019 banquet. Complete with whistle and fake water pistol. If he spots any funny business during the drawings he can blast away and blow on the whistle.

We can all vote on uniform choices.

30-Apr-18
I'm not taking anything personally, I just feel if you don't know anything about the process, the requirements, the rules etc, you should educate yourself or stop running your mouth about it.

30-Apr-18

Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo

30-Apr-18

30-Apr-18

Sandbrew's embedded Photo

30-Apr-18
Orion-

I'm sorry we have to have this exact conversion every year. I'm pretty sure you will never be satisfied with the raffle or draw results so I have quit trying to appease you. You may recall I personally offered to buy you a raffle ticket if you came to the banquet to see first hand how things are done. You did not take me up on the offer and choose to once again take pot shots at something you have very limited knowledge of.

I bet you'd even complain about the Free Dall Sheep hunt we gave away. The winner was a Life member and in the room!

Funny thing is we made those 2 things requirements. Yes, you heard right we gave away a free hunt to a Life member who had to be there. Guess what we not only sold an additional 45 or so Life memberships @ $600 to raise money for sheep we packed the room with more than 130 out of 500 attendees. Of course we have raffle winners in the room and surely many who buy tickets are members why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp?

Sandbrew

PS Dinkshooter you crack me up!

30-Apr-18

30-Apr-18
Some of you guys should be playing Powerball with your luck. Sandbrew why does a kid always draw the tickets?

30-Apr-18
Seriously? WOW.

30-Apr-18
Orion-

I do spend a few dollars on the Powerball every once in a while. When I win I'm not giving you any money. I will happily donate $1,000,000.00 to the RMBS in your name when I win.

As always we asked kids to line up to come on stage to draw tickets out of the bins. Random order of random kids, What difference does it make if kids draw? How or who would you like to draw the tickets? How would you propose we select that person or people? I am all ears and would be happy entertain realistic options.

Sandbrew

30-Apr-18
What dink you asked if I knew how it worked. When I went to banquets they always asked a kid to come up and draw from the barrel on stage. The mc would always say make sure you dig down deep or reach down deep. The kid would go armpit deep in there and presto a board member would win a tag. Has it changed?

30-Apr-18
Dink if you think my post are bad you should hear the comments from people there when another board member gets drawn. Sandbrew thanks for the donation. My kids will appreciate it when they shoot rams

30-Apr-18
You kill me.....

"The mc would always say make sure you dig down deep or reach down deep. The kid would go armpit deep in there and presto a board member would win a tag"

What the heck are you talking about? Would you prefer that the winner be plucked off the top? The bin is a clear Plexiglas bin that has been sitting on a table in public view for more than 6 hours. The bin gets spun and the tickets mixed, we have over 4000 stubs in the bin. How the hell do you think it's rigged?

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone else that has any issues with how we are conducting our raffles. I'm not hard to find or contact. If they have issue please come to an RMBS BOD meeting and be heard.

30-Apr-18
Post the comments up

30-Apr-18
I vote Orion draws them next year with max tickets with his name on them in the bin, then if he draw his name he also agrees to not accept the tag !

30-Apr-18
Also.....when I win the Powerball I will gift 25 tickets raffle tickets to every present and past RMBS BOD member as a Thank You to watch Orion's reaction if one of them wins.

30-Apr-18
As a past raffle chairman I can only tell you that I put in SO MANY hours writing out envelopes and name and addresses on raffle tickets. I was retired and would be up until 2-3 o'clock in the morning everyday getting all of them sent out to people requesting tickets. My wife even helped me on more than one occasion. After doing this for awhile I had a computer program set up so that we could look up the person's name and address and just enter the number of tickets that were being requested. It helped tremendously to cut down the time involved in getting ticket stubs out the door.

For your information, over the years I have not won any of the sheep, goat, pronghorn or other $25/ticket raffles. The rules state that board members may purchase raffle tickets BUT, someone who does not have a vested interest in the outcome (ticket purchaser) has to draw the tickets. Kids cannot purchase the tickets so they make a perfect person to do the drawing. That said, I did win the Winchester model 70, 7MM Magnum rifle on Saturday night. I'm glad that I have an understanding wife that doesn't mind if I purchase anywhere from $500-$800 worth of tickets each year. Even if I don't win, the sheep herds do win! We don't purchase Lotto tickets at all but this is our one vice. Yes, I purchase several hundred dollars worth of tickets for her to get involve too.

I'm glad that we have volunteers that step up to make the organization successful and to help the sheep herds. Great people for sure!

30-Apr-18
Knowing the quality and integrity of the many past and present RMBS board members, I have absolutely no worries whatsoever that these drawings have always been conducted 100% fair and square.

Like I said above, the value of sheep karma cannot be over emphasized.

30-Apr-18
Orion - have you ever consider that the BOD probably spends/buys a disproportional amount of tickets than the average person, therefore increasing the odds that each year one or more of them will win?

30-Apr-18
Wasn't there this year but want to thank all those that spent countless hours to put on a great banquet and raise money for our sheep herds.

Sandbrew- I only have one issue with how the raffle was conducted this year. I DIDN'T WIN! LOL.

Bighorn- as the thread owner you can use the "edit" function and clear out all the highjacking posts.

30-Apr-18
Thanks to all who purchased tickets and made this the most successful raffle year ever. I processed every online raffle order this year (over $120K for the sheep, goat, and pronghorn), and got to count all of the tickets today. It was a record year, and we sold 4,836 sheep tickets, 1,363 goat tickets, and 609 pronghorn tickets. We sold 718 sheep tickets at the banquet on Saturday. The Director and Assistant Director of CPW were present at the banquet during the drawing, which was conducted in front of 500 people. I'm glad there are so many people willing to purchase the equivalent of a lottery ticket for the opportunity of a lifetime, and at the same time support conservation efforts in the state. Kudos to you.

30-Apr-18
There goes Oak being reasonable and knowledgeable again.

Bighorn-Thanks for all your volunteer time and coming to the banquets. You certainly understand the big picture.

I'm disappointed no one has voted for Orion's 2019 banquet uniform.

30-Apr-18
I lean towards #1

30-Apr-18
They sold a Colo sheep hunt $92000 that's pretty cool but the africa hunts sold for Penny's on the dollar

30-Apr-18
I agree with you Brandon. I have been to Africa twice and have brought back 12 animals from two different countries. It's an experience that every hunter would really enjoy and it doesn't cost that much. I'm hoping to go back one more time to harvest a couple of animals that I didn't get. I couldn't bid on the African hunts this time because we have so many other things going on at this time. Maybe next year.

01-May-18
Dinkshooter, I'll vote for #1 as well, but no one will wear it as well as Lt. J. Dangle...

01-May-18
Sandbrew I'll make a 1000 donation to rmbs next year in your name when a board member or their relative draws a raffle tag

01-May-18
Orion- Thanks for the offer of the donation - I'm not sure how you betting that a BOD or BOD family member will be draw helps your case but we will gladly accept your money if it happens. Does this apply to former BODs as well?

Many years ago (10 or more) I wrote an article about Sheep Karma and how those that help the RMBS and sheep in Colorado seem to draw tags. Maybe it's time to relook at that. It was based mostly on drawn tags but I bet if I looked closely at that we would see a continued trend of good luck for those that help.

Will you please answer the following questions-

How or who would you like to draw the tickets?

How would you propose we select that person or people?

I am all ears and would be happy entertain realistic options.

I am also willing to hear from anyone else that has concerns on how the RMBS conducts these raffles.

Sandbrew

01-May-18
I have heard grumblings...get a DOW officer to draw....

01-May-18
What you really missed at the banquet:

I have been a RMBS member since my first sheep tag in 1996, and a Life Member since around 2011 I think. I have served on many local and national boards in my industry and community and I know first hand how much of your life can be consumed by the desire to help the cause.

Why the background? Maybe just to state: while it's a very personal decision to be supportive and engaged - the two are not always concurrent activities for associations/foundations/societies. In my opinion, I am in the largest group of our RMBS membership - I am supportive. I have been going to banquets, buying raffle tickets, silent auction and live auction items to the tune of $200-$1000 on any given year. When my schedule permits, I make the banquet and when my budget permits, I buy more tickets and more auction items. While I participate in sheep counts almost every year, I have not committed the "real" time to be on the board.

I have also not committed the "real" time to prioritize the representation (outside of my personal "hunting persona") of the lifestyle of conservation and hunting for which I have tremendous passion. At the 2 day event we were fortunate enough to have two very ENGAGED individuals attend and speak to the group: Randy Newburg (who in my opinion represents the public land hunter well on a national platform for YouTube, Amazon, etc) and Shane Mahoney (internationally known hunter/conservationist). I know many of you will say, "hey, it's a business for them and they need to do these things for their brands and to make money." Really - do they? They work as hard as I do for a lot less money to speak on behalf of the lifestyle we all want to continue to enjoy.

While I would admit that Mahoney was a bit brash in his approach - he's onto something. And, if he completes what he's attempting to do with any reasonable amount of success at the Wild Harvest Initiative, (www.conservationvisions.com), we will all be the benefactors of the few who are truly ENGAGED.

For those who missed the banquet/speakers - visit their web-sites and see what you may have missed in the messaging. Maybe you'll be moved to be supportive for their organizations or their sponsors.... maybe you'll be motivated to spend more of that hard earned money supporting organizations like RMBS. And just maybe, you'll be one of the few among us that hit that release and truly get ENGAGED as a volunteer leader/board member of an organization. I believe sheep karma is a real thing - those kids pulling tickets are so excited to be part of the night that I think they channel the energy to dreams coming true.

What I didn't miss by attending is the great work (notice I didn't say perfect.... and that's okay) the RMBS board and volunteers did putting together a wonderful event to benefit all of us who are supportive. A BIG THANK YOU to the team. And, dang it - no raffle winnings for me... nothing in the general raffle, the gun raffles, the Sitka raffle, the sheep, the goat, the pronghorn, the bow.... no winning bids in the live auction either. What I did come home with was some freeze dried food and some truck claws thing that I decided were cheap enough to donate some more $ to RMBS through the silent auction.

At the end of the day, I've donated more than enough for a couple of great hunts over the years .... and I feel good about it - to each his own on the value of the use of money and time. The older I get, the less I judge and the more I reflect. I am learning to ask WHY.... a lot. Maybe I am headed back to diapers soon?

In all likelihood, I'll end up just like the majority here: as supportive as I can justify with my money and my time for my passion of the wilderness and hunting, but still not pulling the trigger towards fully ENGAGED. For my part, I left the rendezvous wondering.... what would motivate me and the rest of the public land hunters to stand up and be truly ENGAGED towards protecting our lands and our hunting rights vs. being self-perceived supportive?????

01-May-18
I think it would up participation which is a good thing....

01-May-18
I agree that having a child pick the winning ticket is a bad idea. I mean we all know that kids are the LEAST trustworthy when it comes to randomness. Sheesh, just how do you think the thing is rigged?

Orion, I don't quite follow your argument. It seems that you're complaining because only BOD, past or present, or their relatives, are the only ones to get drawn. But then you offer to donate $1000 in Sandbrew's name when a board member or their relative draws a raffle tag. Sounds to me that since you think they are the only ones to ever get drawn, you should just go ahead and make your donation now.

01-May-18
It's good for sheep I will donate every year a board member or their relative draws. I wasn't complaining just saying it's a heck of coincidence they keep pulling tags. But we will just call it sheep karma.

01-May-18
Maybe it's just as simple as they buy the most tickets....that whole odds thing ya know?? I had a GREAT time both nights seeing old buddies I hadn't for a while, meeting new buddies I hope to see more often now. If you're really getting upset because a certain "subset" of the audience has had a perceived good run on the raffles I think you're missing the whole point and see my first statement. This and the WSF are the 2 best conservation organization going in my mind and it's where I have chosen to put my Life membership $ and will continue to do so for as long as I can. My sincerest appreciation goes out to all the RMBS board members that put on a pretty damned good party last weekend!! My only complaint? Not enough bartenders to keep up with the demand.... ;-) Thanks Kip

01-May-18
In other related the news, the Pope has been recruited to draw the 2019 raffle tickets at the the 2019 banquet.

01-May-18
Great banquet. The Friday night social was the best I can recall so it ideally sets a new standard for future years.

Agree there were not enough bars. Pretty sure it was the hotel that dropped that ball. As a raffle ticket booth volunteer I had a tom of fun all day and night on Saturday know raffle sales were hampered by folks spending way to much time in line to get a beer and whatnot.

I wish CBA banquets were half as fun as RMBS. Not sure why they are not equally fun to me but I look forward to RMBS and not so much the CBA banquet.

01-May-18
Thanks for all the positive replies!

Adventurewriter wrote

"I have heard grumblings...get a DOW officer to draw...."

I'd be happy to discuss any grumbling. Please PM me if you'd like.

QUESTION - What would happen if the DOW officer drew another CPW employees ticket? Would Orion cry foul?

I'm still waiting for a response to these questions-

Will you please answer the following questions-

How or who would you like to draw the tickets?

How would you propose we select that person or people?

I am all ears and would be happy entertain realistic options.

Sandbrew

01-May-18
Sandbrew no need to pm just heard a few random comments over the years echoing Orion's point of view...just my two cents...I think if you have a DOW officer do the drawing it would minimize it a bit...

02-May-18
small minded people can grumble all they want. Does not even warrant a response.

the overwhelming success of RMBS in raising funds for sheep via the raffles is beyond reproach. That is all that really matters, actually.

02-May-18
Lets be clear personally I am not questioning of it and personally know "Lucky Rob" who is the Glenwood Springs mail man that drew Sheep and Mule deer back to back and he is no insider!!!

Sandbrew you are also smart enough to know that any successful organization that relies on donations and volunteers and such is responsive and open for ideas and thoughts....the point I was trying to make was it would quell any skepticism ( from others NOT ME!) and UPPP participation...which equals money which equals more sheep on the mountain and a stronger and stronger position for a great organization like RMBS,,,,

02-May-18
and what is so pristine about a “DOW” officer versus a kid lifting up a single ticket in the air and handing it to the announcer who never shields it from view? skyrocketing and consistently large ticket sales make the case here is no problem so why pander to dipwad conspriracy theorists.

The most suspect looking raffle draw I ever saw was the CBA elk raffle draw one year. Nobody from 20 feet away could see at all if a single ticket cleanly came out of the bucket. Was it a clean draw? Yes IMO, but you could never prove it since it was so poorly performed in terms of visibility.

rmbs draw is done up on a stage with clear views of every move.

Is there another wildlife raffle anywhere with higher sales than the RMBS raffles?

02-May-18
Oak is the Yin to Dinks Yang... speaking of, Dink you look good in the cop uniform. CSEH with a badge!!

02-May-18
Khunter the only one better is the AZ sheep super tag which sold 6757 chances at 25.00 each last year. That may be the only higher dollar sales raffle. MT supertag also sells a total over $100k. But the Colorado sheep raffle is right up there among the most successful. I believe the extra publicity and advertising that board members have been creating has been very effective in boosting sales.

02-May-18

I will wear Dangle's uniform at the banquet (whatever, its my hot body I can do what i want with it) if the above constant yearly crybaby gets certified and verified and does what is needed to complete the 2019 raffles, all of it.

02-May-18
Yang- A yearly decreasing tolerance for non-sense(bull$hit) from people who don’t show up and don’t have a clue and yet still run their mouth.

02-May-18
I’ve got a great idea to change how the raffle tags are drawn. Each raffle ticket is assigned a ‘random’ six digit number when it is submitted. Then that number is reversed. After that, the reversed random number is subject to more randomly drawn ‘conversion’ numbers. Then the lowest converted random number gets the tag. Oh, and if you buy more than one ticket, your converted random number(s) is (are) divided by the number of tickets you bought plus 1. Pretty simple, huh? It’s a wonder no one has thought of this before.

02-May-18
JDM, LMAO!

02-May-18
"a kid lifting up a single ticket in the air and handing it to the announcer who never shields it from view" Seems a lot more transparent than say the SCI moose raffle. Everything's electronic and you don't even get ticket stubs. No way that I can tell that you're really even in that one.

03-May-18
Joe, thanks for cropping that picture so we can't see "the rest of the story"... A million laughs.

03-May-18
Zach- I was an underwear model back in the day, this was an on the scene shoot in the Brooks Range.

03-May-18
JDM Now that sounds like a great idea! You should see if you can sell it to some of the State G & F’s!!

04-May-18
I had to say it Joe, but you kinda look like cousin Eddie...

Thanks again for the laugh.

04-May-18
Cousin Eddie, LOL.

04-May-18
Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!

04-May-18
Great turn out at the banquet. A lot of money raised for sheep! The sheep mounts on display were all very impressive! Awesome event

06-May-18
Great banquet! Let the kids draw the raffle! Not the CDOW people, they already draw our tags, don't need them disappointing us any more. By the way, I have won several items at RMBS functions prior to becoming a board member, haven't since I sat on the board. It's all about the sheep and having fun. If you don't trust the method, step up and join the Board and help.

• Sitka Gear