Jebediah 02-May-18
Moons22 02-May-18
peterk1234 02-May-18
Jimbo 02-May-18
Will 02-May-18
peterk1234 02-May-18
Dinky 02-May-18
02-May-18
Almost 4am. Getting ready to head out. Never hunted turkey in the woods. First time is a charm. Pete

02-May-18
0 for 2. Wish I didn't have to leave at 6:15 to bring kids to school then go to work ... they could not close the distance in that time. Boo. What a gorgeous morning. Good luck all, I expect today to he a banner day for some!

02-May-18
Good luck. I didn't go this am.

02-May-18
Good luck everyone, back to work for me. Hunt safe, please.

02-May-18
I took a good friend of mine on his first hunt ever this morning. I was hoping to at least get some birds gobbling for him, but no such luck, not one gobble. Although, we did jump a group of 5-6 does and glass a large coyote for 5-10 minutes across some power lines, both were firsts for him, so I'm going to call it a success.

02-May-18
Yes, definitely a success

02-May-18
Good times HFC. Tomorow is the opener up here. Got permissiOn from a guy with a beautiful property up in Campton. 5 strutters no hens last time I was up there. Bringing my roommate and another kid on there first turkey hunts. Hoping for some action. I will be armed as well in case three of them decide to come play :) Can't wait!

02-May-18
They did not make a peep. I had three deer 15 to 20 yards from me for an hourthough. I was practically out in the open. WTF? Why aren't they that dumb during deer season? I had a ball watching them feed and hanging out though. My body was finally going numb and I had to get up and spook them. They were pissed.

Tons of ticks.

02-May-18
Did something today I haven't done in a long time... sat in the blind (my new home-made arborvitaes blind) from first light until noon. I did have some turkeys come in. Three hens and three toms. Two of the toms were jakes... the other is probably a 2 year-old... only had about a 4-inch beard. I let him walk.

02-May-18
Took my bit of post kid drop off time to drive to my buddies and try to get my wives sight working on my gun. It did, until it didnt... Then it did again, until it didnt. My slow processing speed took a little while to start realizing that her sight may have - amazing luck for me - also bit the big one due to the gun's "roar"... Then I took aim, around 15 shots of "what is happening that I'm on, then one last shot and I'm 10+ " another direction" and I realized her sight was toast. The red dot was no aimed off the glass.

So...

A guy only has so many options, and well...Tekoa, you believed in my ability to shoot with "iron sights" (ok, the ones that were stock on my turkey barrel are two green fiber optic rods at the rear and 1 red one at the front, so, plastic sights is more apt) and would you know it... the last two shells I had on me smashed the target.

My whole life I stink at shooting open sights, and today I seem to have turned the corner.

So... I didnt have to resort to the bow for birds... but, I did discover that I seem able to shoot open sights for the first time in my life. Phew! Looking forward to 4AM tomorrow now :)

You guys stay safe out there and have fun. Peter - were you in that spot we have discussed, or someplace local to you? I've yet to have a tick on me - hence my curiosity...

Will

02-May-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
peterk1234's embedded Photo
I stayed local. Set up in the woods near a farm. I heard them gobbling in the evening, but this morning not a thing. Moved around trying to find them. I didn't want to go far from the house today because I planned to take the whole day off and make it all about me :) Well, and the dog.

Turkey hunting in the morning, then off to the range to pretend I can shoot a handgun with speed and accuracy (not). Then off to the local pond so Roxy can fetch her water toy over and over and over. Oh, and shot the bow. A perfect day.

So these cardboard targets are the only thing that got shot today............

Saturday we are planning to go to the other spot.

02-May-18
Headed out tomorrow cant go until 9:30. Figured better late than never.

• Sitka Gear