stagetek 15-May-18
CaptMike 15-May-18
stagetek 15-May-18
CaptMike 16-May-18
Missouribreaks 16-May-18
Jeff in MN 16-May-18
skookumjt 16-May-18
02-May-18
Office of Governor Scott Walker FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 2, 2018 Contact: Amy Hasenberg, (608) 266-2839 Governor Walker Announces Aggressive Actions to Combat the Spread of Chronic Wasting Disease MADISON – Governor Scott Walker announced new aggressive initiatives for combating chronic wasting disease (CWD) affecting Wisconsin deer populations. “We need to protect Wisconsin’s hunting traditions and long-standing heritage by working together to contain the spread of chronic wasting disease in deer,” said Governor Walker. “Wisconsin put together a comprehensive plan years ago that implemented new testing procedures to identify and root out CWD while committing to new steps to combat CWD. Today, we will move forward on implementing new rules that will place us among the leaders in the nation’s fight against CWD.” Governor Walker’s three-step plan creates a balanced approach to combat chronic wasting disease: Requiring enhanced deer farm fencing through a new DATCP rule. Currently, farms are required to have an eight-foot fence. Enhanced fencing would require either: a second eight-foot-high fence, an electric fence, or an impermeable physical barrier to meet the emergency rule’s requirements. Controlling the movement of potentially infected deer through the creation of a new DATCP rule banning the movement of live deer from deer farms in CWD-affected counties. Preventing contamination from hunted deer carrying CWD by tasking the DNR to create emergency and permanent rules banning the movement of deer carcasses from CWD-affected counties. Under the rule, Hunters can still quarter the deer within the county it was harvested and then take the meat anywhere in the state, but no portion of the spinal cord may be attached or moved. A hunter who harvests a deer in a CWD-affected county may only move a whole carcass outside of the county if the carcass is delivered to a licensed taxidermist or meat processor. Taking these steps ensures that both sportsmen and deer farmers are a part of the process of slowing the spread of CWD. “As an outdoor enthusiast, I want to personally thank the Governor for these additional tools that we can use to combat the spread of CWD,” said DNR Secretary Dan Meyer. “We will begin immediately to establish a rule that will further restrict the movement of deer carcasses from CWD affected counties while still keeping it practical for traveling hunters to bring their game home.” This approach complements past efforts by the DNR to combat CWD. In 2017, the DNR had 47 deer kiosks in the state for hunters to check their deer for CWD, conducting over 2,500 tests, which were a valuable resource for hunters.

02-May-18
DUH !! Its about time . Deer have been jumping those 8 foot fences constantly . Pretty smart Scott .

02-May-18
"Controlling the movement of potentially infected deer through the creation of a new DATCP rule banning the movement of live deer from deer farms in CWD-affected counties"

amazing that this wasnt already a rule

02-May-18
Long overdue, especially stopping the movement of live deer. Now if we could get the payments to the deer farmers removed from DATCAP it would save the taxpayer a bunch of money!

04-May-18

Bigfoot's Link
Walker's quote from the article........ROFLMAO

"While our deer farmers are playing a critical role in containing the spread of CWD, we also need to rely on our hunters to help in this effort,”

04-May-18
Looking forward to his reelection. Has done a great job so far.

04-May-18
Too little and waaay too late. Nothing more than election year posturing. You can't possibly have a sincere conversation about eradicating CWD without talking about a statewide baiting and feeding ban. 20+ yrs. of CWD in WI. and he's receiving "kudos" for finally realizing that higher, stronger fences, and transport restrictions were needed ? Even I gave the "Sportsman for Walker" base more credit than that.

04-May-18
If Walker cured cancer tomorrow, and ended all CWD, I can assure you Eisele and many of his outdoor writers coherts in this state, would find fault..... simple matter is they want him gone,,,,,,,,,,,,, period,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

These are the guys that love the sporting world, which is great, but for the love of me, will bring out a candidate, that is anti trapping, supported by USHS, and really in a wink of an eye, would rather have the wolves kill deer, than humans,,,,,,

Me, I do not get it,,,,,,,,,, No matter what a guy trys, it will never be right, might as well shut the lights off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

04-May-18
Did they forget an anti feeding/baiting clause state wide? Can deer farms sell and move a deer w/o a neg test?

04-May-18
Ban it all...baiting and feeding=banned......bait plots=banned....man-made water holes=banned......ever planted an apple tree=banned....ever planted an acorn=banned.....ever moved anything a deer eats=banned....ever planted anything a deer eats=banned

04-May-18
Well, if it took him this long to recommend building higher, stronger fences...he won't be finding a cure for cancer anytime soon ! Total b.s.

05-May-18
"Nothing more than election year posturing." Yes, those people with CWD at the top of their agenda are a mighty voting force. LMFAO!

08-May-18

sagittarius's Link
... "The research does help confirm longstanding suspicions that prions can accumulate in the environment in areas such as mineral licks or feeding and baiting sites where deer congregate, and scientists believe environmental reservoirs of prions could serve as an additional transmission route of CWD, which also passes between deer through direct contact," ...

08-May-18
CWD was here before the current Gov.

08-May-18
GVS, good point but there is no known cure for stupidity.

08-May-18
You're right! Let's blame the other Scott....Scott McCallum! Dang Irish.....

10-May-18
Walker has done a lot of good for WI but with all that is good for some means bad for others. In the case of CWD I think we are once again throwing money at a dead horse. Deer farms need to go as they brought this disease to WI Nd continue to help spread it. Yes I know there is no proof of that but how else would it get here? As for the wild herd we once had way to many deer and now they are being thinned out by disease because the hunters couldn’t do it fast enough. My guess it has been around a lot longer then we think.

10-May-18
Walker has done a lot of good for WI but with all that is good for some means bad for others. In the case of CWD I think we are once again throwing money at a dead horse. Deer farms need to go as they brought this disease to WI Nd continue to help spread it. Yes I know there is no proof of that but how else would it get here? As for the wild herd we once had way to many deer and now they are being thinned out by disease because the hunters couldn’t do it fast enough. My guess it has been around a lot longer then we think.

10-May-18

11-May-18
That's it !! I'm changing your ID to double dribble he he he

15-May-18
Read Patrick Durkins "Testing the Wind" in the latest WON. He gets it.

15-May-18
A liberal circle jerk. Stage saying Durkin "gets it." LOL!

15-May-18
The only "jerk" I know, is the one that thinks CWD has to do with politics.

16-May-18
Fool, politics has to do with most everything in one manner or another.

16-May-18
Agree on that for sure.

16-May-18
I wonder why the NRB needs to meet in closed session to talk about CWD.

"Wisconsin Natural Resources Board agenda amended 05/15/2018 The May 22-23, 2018 meeting agenda of the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board has been amended to add in a closed session to the notice on page 1, item 2.B.6. re chronic wasting disease (with linked document), and items 6.A. re Board Members’ Matters and 6.B. re TMDL Study on Wisconsin River Watershed."

16-May-18
The closed session is a separate issue. Four things are being added. A closed session, the CWD item, the members matters issue, and the watershed issue.

• Sitka Gear