DMC65 29-May-18
Bows the way 25-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 26-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 26-Jun-18
JL 26-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 26-Jun-18
JL 27-Jun-18
02-May-18
Bear application time, who's been where and recommendations?

02-May-18
How many points?

03-May-18
Max points, 15 I believe I've been putting in since the state started it.

04-May-18
Baldwin for 15. My daughter has 14 but is likely not going in this year. I think I got 5 or 6 but will be on the sidelines again.

04-May-18
Ya I wish know anyone who will guide/bait? Nixson is all filled up

10-May-18
With 15 points you can pretty much choose any hunt you want.... Choose wisely !!! We're taking points only this year to try to build up points for an early hunt in the future...... Maybe this will be my lucky year to draw an elk tag (probably not)....

10-May-18
Kind of a good problem to have. I have only hunted the UP, with that many points you should be hunting the lower. As said above use wisely.

11-May-18
What are the recommendations for a NR with currently 9pts? Should I just keep building points or is it worth planning a hunt this upcoming season? Suggestions welcome.

12-May-18
Tody, Depends where you want to hunt or hang out. The Baldwin is what many folks try to save for as there a few tags and lots of bears. Hunting pressure is another thing to look into. It can be tough if you're a stand or still hunter with hounds nearby. My two cents.....keep banking points to draw Baldwin and go to Ontario or Quebec to get your bear fix taken care of. Lots of bears, fairly cheap and much better fishing.

16-May-18
I've been to Ontario twice shot bears both times, really want a Michigan bear. I believe I have the points to draw Baldwin, any recommendations "killinstuff"

18-May-18
only 14 tags for non residents in Amasa this year, and that is 3rd week, that sucks,,,,, lots of bears around my cabin, that is for sure,,,,,, so I know I will not draw, unless I am very lucky, and that is 3rd week,,,,,,,

but you never know,,,,,,

19-May-18
I pulled the trigger n put in for Newberry first hunt. Hope ten points is enough to draw a tag.

21-May-18
I have 7 pionts and my daughter has 6. Put in for 1st and 2nd hunt newberry

22-May-18
Put in for Baldwin again, I have 11 points going into this draw so I will not draw. After I do draw in the next few years, going to start putting back in for Amasa .

22-May-18
Hopefully with 150 tags in Baldwin, there will eventually be a reverse point creep back downwards as the high timers get selected and cleared off the list. It would be nice if it got back under 10 points to draw.

22-May-18
Have any of y'all hunted over bait in the second or third seasons in the UP on public land ? If so how did it go?

23-May-18
Anyone know how many NR tags for newberry this year I've already got 3 different bears around my cabin. I need to remove a couple.

23-May-18
Non resident Newberry bear tag quota; 11 first hunt 12 second hunt 33 for the third hunt.

25-May-18
Thanks DMC65 with how many pionts do i need gor frist.

27-May-18
Rick , it looks like 7 n.r. with 8 or more points drew 7 tags last year. 6 who had 7 points drew 2 tags. There are two more tags for this season so maybe, due to low numbers of n.r. applicants 8 points will be enough. How many do you have?

27-May-18
Edit... I forgot you said in a previous post how many points you have. I would put in cause you're on the line. Deadline is June 1 so better get after it!!

29-May-18
I put in for 1st and 2nd we'll see hopefully.

29-May-18
I put in for 1st and 2nd we'll see hopefully.

29-May-18

DMC65's embedded Photo
DMC65's embedded Photo
I don't even know if I will draw a tag but went and scouted some spots this weekend anyway. Good excuse to make some hikes in good country. I think I got a sign as to where to put at least one bait

25-Jun-18
Well struck out again my daughter and myself didnt draw. Last week we watched 3 different bears walking through the property. This is unreal I guess its back to canada.

26-Jun-18
I would like to discuss the application process and give some helpful hints.......... NOTE;;;; If you make a first and second choice........ Say.... Newberry 1st Hunt........ second choice , Newberry 2nd hunt::::::::::: Your Second choice will ONLY be considered after all of the people who chose the second hunt as their first choice have been awarded a tag............. So in essence..... you could have enough points to draw the second hunt..... but not get it........

My pointer is..... look at your points before applying..... and line it up with the hunt from last year that you have enough points to get drawn in...... AND MAKE ONE HUNT CHOICE........

Don’t think... “I’ll roll the dice and try for the first hunt.... and put in for the 2nd hunt as my second choice”,,,,,, If you don’t have nearly enough points for the first hunt. You will likely then get neither..... even if you have enough points for the second hunt....

Does this make any sense ??

26-Jun-18
Disclaimer.... on the advice above.... I’m not sure how that applies to non resident applications......

26-Jun-18
Yes, it makes sense. Kinda thought folks might know that already. I've been a one-n-done app kinda guy. I drew the last time I picked one hunt.....Baldwin :-)

26-Jun-18
The reason I bring it up is because a buddy of mine just did exactly what I explained....thinking he would for sure get his 2nd choice..... he didn’t get a tag....

27-Jun-18
Too many hunters and not many quotas.

• Sitka Gear