Ungie01201 09-May-18
Jimbo 09-May-18
bowandspear 10-May-18
TexBow 10-May-18
brooktrout59 10-May-18
07-May-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
I have visions of harvesting a deer with the longbow and paddling it back to camp lol. Well, I love a project and this will be a fun one and great to work on with my 3 boys. They will end up with a cool keepsake.

Yesterday I scored this cedar strip canoe project for free. Hull is solid, glass is tight but cloudy, but incredibly good shape to take on as a project. Maker unknown but remnants of old ME reg numbers so that may be clue to it's origins. I have to do some research before beginning resto. At 17 ft x 44 inches plenty of room to paddle back that buck to camp. V stern so also designed to take motor for the trips down the lake. Should be alot of fun and hopefully be ready for fall. I'll update as we progress in resto.

07-May-18

07-May-18

07-May-18

07-May-18

07-May-18

07-May-18
Love it. Every time I paddle out somewhere with my bow I vision some old time picture of the proud hunter returning to camp with a buck in the front of the canoe.

07-May-18
Very cool... keep us posted on your progress... and the eventual successful hunt!

07-May-18
I'm sure she'll by a beaut when you're done with her!

07-May-18
That's awesome. Cant wait to see how things progress... and I hope the "paddle a buck home" event is sooner than not. Very neat project to tackle.

07-May-18
Great project B&S. My moms uncle used to hunt the Canada Falls Deadwater in Northest Maine back in the fifties and sixties. I can remember watching home movies of them canoeing out 8 and 10 pointers after two to three weeks at camp way back in the woods. It still gives me shivers thinking about it. I would love to have those films now.

Same theme for me the past couple of years but in a plastic sit-on-top fishing kayak. It would be a bit tight with the deer in my lap so I always brought two extra life vests, one for each set of legs on the deer and tow it back. Hasn't happened yet but it will.

Good luck on the project. Tekoa

08-May-18
Looks like old Maine guide canoe- beautiful! My Dad, brothers and I did early September fishing trip up Allagash every September and saw many a dead Bear in canoes by Bowhunters. Pretty cool sight to see bear head in front of canoe!

08-May-18
Very cool. Looking forward to see the project and the final result, and of course the picture of you with you longbow buck!

08-May-18

TexBow's embedded Photo
TexBow's embedded Photo
There is literally no better feeling!!! Good luck with the restore. I added some kevlar rock guards on the hull for extra support, has kept my used canoe in good shape for a few seasons.

08-May-18
Thanks all! And yes Brooktrout, evidently what I have is a Maine guide boat. No makers Mark at all anymore so I am hunting the Maine and Adirondack guide boat resources trying to find out who made it so I can restore it properly. Hull us cedar strip construction and lacks the ribs usually used in Adirondack style construction as well as absence if oar locks center which has me scratching my head at this. If anyone knows good resource /directory to reference I would really appreciate it!! Old remnants of reg # starts with ME so Maine was probably it's origin.

08-May-18
TexBow great stuff, love the pic!

08-May-18
Try the wooden boat sections of FB B&S. there's a ton of info out there. Great project

08-May-18
That is a beauty. Strip built canoe, nice. I built a kayak out of marine grade plywood. I always wanted to make a strip built. West System epoxy is the best out there and used for boats. I used it on my kayak and an iceboat several years ago. Look up Chesapeake Bay Kayaks. If they are still around I bet they have a bunch of good info. Hey, it is wood and epoxy. You can't screw it up. And if you do; it is easy to fix. Pete

08-May-18
Looks like a awesome project, it will look great! This thread got me thinking, how may of you guys use a canoe or kayak to access some spots? Sounds like a great way to get in scentless and with minimal impact

08-May-18
That is a sick picture, Texbow!

08-May-18
Beautiful. If I had that canoe, and a camp, I would paddle my canoe to my camp, and never come back.

08-May-18

EBow10's embedded Photo
EBow10's embedded Photo
First buck last year went in with a kayak brought him out in a canoe. Awesome experience.

09-May-18
Really cool pics guys. B&S good luck with your project.

09-May-18
Ebow, that's so rad!

09-May-18
great pics guys!

09-May-18
TexBow & EBow10... very cool photos! That's some hard core hunting right there! Good stuff!

10-May-18

bowandspear's Link
The best 37 minutes of your day are here. Fred Bear and Jim Henderson 1943 on a canoe hunt.

10-May-18
thanks guys! Canoe access is definitely a strategy that has worked out for me. It is a hell of a lot of work though. A good set of portage wheels makes a big difference, especially while hunting solo.

10-May-18
Thanks B and S! Yes highlight of my day. Brought back memories of my Allagash fishing trips with Dad and brothers. Also brought my wife and kids to Fred Bear Museum in Gainesville Fla. - every bowhunter should visit once in their lifetime. Those old films are the best. Great bow shot from the canoe with the recurve.

• Sitka Gear