07-May-18

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
JUNE 9TH, 2018 CANYON FERRY RESERVOIR

Come one, come all for a great fundraiser that benefits the Montana Bowhunters Association. I went on a test run Saturday (05-05-18) to check things out and the lake is very low but they expect to get a tremendous amount of runoff. The lake was murky and muddy and the skies were overcast but I got about an hour of sunshine and shot seven carp before the storms rolled in and lost visibility.

It should be a good year which I hadn't anticipated as I found a back bay with staging activity already.

Scouting won't mean much as the lake will probably be 100 feet higher and the shorelines will have changed significantly.

09-May-18
I challenge YOU Mike, see you there

04-Jun-18

Last weekend with a homemade green ash self bow with sinew and rattlesnake skins........shot till my shoulder gave out. This was just the morning stringer. Hope to see everyone at the shoot Saturday at Canyon Ferry........

04-Jun-18
Just checked the forecast and it says 88 degrees with plentiful sunshine and south winds 10-20 mph............should be pretty decent

11-Jun-18

Went out Friday to pre-fish for a few hours in the afternoon. It was a beautiful day and had a rain shower right before dark. Our hopes were high but a little nervous as forecasts called for high wind gusts in the afternoon. Saturday morning.......we started on the west side of the lake which probably was a mistake and quickly migrated back to the east side to compensate for the winds. We shot fish everywhere we went but never found a real honey hole. I ended up with 38 and my buddy shot 16. However, I believe the winning team shot 156 and top individual was 86!

The conditions were great until about 2:00 in the afternoon when high winds churned up the lake and 4 and 5 foot white caps shut things down.

11-Jun-18

The wind conditions were treacherous for boats Saturday afternoon as well. My mechanic and his partner shot 126 fish and could not make it back in time to weigh in. The waves, wind and extra weight caused them to capsize their boat.....wow!

Wind came out of nowhere when it came up too. They said they went into a bay and came out to huge waves and white caps.

12-Jun-18
I paddled a kayak on Canyon Ferry in 2014 June . Was crossing with my spray skirt stowed in forward compartment. Half way across the wind hit. Never made that mistake again. She’s unforgiving.

• Sitka Gear