huntskifishcook 10-May-18
huntskifishcook 10-May-18
Ungie01201 10-May-18
bowandspear 10-May-18
Will 10-May-18
09-May-18

huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
I shot a tom around 7:30 this morning. I broke my own rule of not shooting a bird beyond 20 yards, but despite that, the shot felt great and I believe it hit exactly where I was aiming. When the bird walked off like nothing happened I was kicking myself for breaking my rule and was sure it must have been a clean miss. But when I inspected the site of the shot there was no arrow and there were a bunch of long upper wing feathers that were cut off near the base, so it seems I hit about where I was aiming. Knowing the bird had an arrow in him made me think there was a chance I would recover him. I grid searched all morning and around mid-afternoon I found the arrow about 100 yards from where he was hit. As you can tell from the picture the arrow didn't penetrate more than 1/2", no wonder we walked off seemingly fine. I just hope his wing isn't broken so he can fly up into his roost tonight. I've heard horror stories about bad penetration with mechanicals, but to only penetrate 1/2" with a 60# draw inside of 30 yards seems crazy.

09-May-18
Whoah... Did you use a parachute instead of fletching on that thing? :)

09-May-18
Joe that sucks! I have never hunted turkey with a bow but from everything I have read they are about the toughest critter to penetrate with an arrow for some reason. I will stick to pellets to the head but I would love to get one with the bow. You are doing damn well for just taking up bowhunting.

09-May-18
Peter, lol it sure seems like it. Starting to think my arrows might be too light for a mechanical that large, combined with hitting bone just right.

Thanks Brad, appreciate it man. I've read that also. It is surprising how dense and tough their feathers are.

10-May-18
Something doesn't seem right yzou definitely should've got more

10-May-18
Penetration than that... low leg shot maybe?

10-May-18
I've read articles about how their wings are like a shield... especially if your arrow makes a square hit on the wing bone, which, with long primary flight feathers on the ground, it sounds like yours did.

10-May-18
Was the shot a quartering away shot? Their feathers are layered like armor. I had called in a tom for my compound shooting buddy and witnessed his rage tipped arrow bounce off this turkey. Last fall I shot at a quartering away turkey with my recurve and my large cut on contact broadhead on a heavy arrow deflected off the turkey at 15yards. Damn birds wear bullet proof vests. Another issue is they only weigh 20-25# and the turkey is pushed as the arrow strikes.

10-May-18
I thought something seemed wrong also, Moons, but I've since read a bunch of articles and watched videos of the wing acting like a shield as Jimbo mentioned. Tough birds, that arrow thwacked so loudly and he walked away like nothing happened.

10-May-18
You nailed in fisherick. He was slightly quartering away.

10-May-18
dang.. that sucks... I have never shot one w the bow, but I have killed dozens of deer with that exact broadhead and never have had a penetration issue. Turkeys are tough animals! Sorry to hear.

10-May-18
Alright, my only shot at a bird opening week last year 25 yds @ 65# using rage hypodermic. Shot broadside knocked him over, he got up and walked off. The rage blades were bent up, zero penetration. I wouldn't do that again. Tough birds

10-May-18
They are really tough for sure. I can see how that would happen with any head when hitting all those feathers and bone and all. Bummer!

• Sitka Gear