mikea20 11-May-18
HiMtnHnter 12-May-18
mikea20 15-May-18
LONEBULL 15-May-18
mikea20 25-May-18
HiMtnHnter 25-May-18
mikea20 25-May-18
11-May-18
Hi, I have access to hunt a private ranch near Torrington for deer in the Fall but have yet to get to the ranch for scouting purposes. (It does not have river on the property) has this been a decent area in the recent past hunting years? And are mule or whitetail deer generally more prevalent? Thanks in advance.

12-May-18
It's hard to say without knowing where it is and how big it is. If it's got irrigated pasture/cropland there are likely whitetail there. If it's more in the hills then there may be more mule deer. The g&f has gone to offering lots of opportunities for whitetail to keep their numbers down, and have protected mule deer populations. You could find good numbers of mule deer depending on the ranch.

15-May-18
Thank you for the reply and the information. The property is only a half section, so it's definitely on the small side. To the best of my knowledge it's non irrigated as well. I think it's used for pasture rather than ag. From what you're. Saying, sounds like chances are higher for muleys. Thanks!

15-May-18
I lived in Torrington for over 5 years (worst years of my life but that's another story) and it certainly is no hot bed for deer hunting. Mostly for whitetail along the river. The mule deer are pretty scarce. I can't remember the exact # but I think it was something like only at 30-35% of carry capacity and that's the way it will stay (right out of the WGFD biologist's mouth) because of the farmers not allowing any kind of deer #'s (all private land around Torrington). If you go north from there and get toward Lusk, then you see some mule deer and some stud bucks as well but they are always on private land and the people around there don't allow much hunting un-less they know you. There are some good walk-in areas around Lusk. Now if you want to hunt geese then it doesn't get much better than Torrington. Good luck.

25-May-18
Thank you for your information. I know almost nothing about the property other than that it's a half section...rather small but may be able to hunt adjoining parcels. I also know next to nothing about the location of it. Family friend has had the place for ages but I've never hunted it until, if I draw, this season. Glad I opted for the doe/fawn tag instead of the much more spendy non-res buck tag based on your summation of the area. Thanks again for the input! Mike

25-May-18
Now you will surely see a nice buck.

25-May-18
;) exactly! Murphy's Law!

• Sitka Gear