Nocturnal 16-May-18
Tweed 17-May-18
Nocturnal 17-May-18
Live2hunt 17-May-18
DoorKnob 20-May-18
MF 20-May-18
11-May-18
Verified Wolf Threat in Rusk County

On 05/11/18, USDA-Wildlife Services verified a threat to human health and safety on privately-owned property located in the Town of Murry, Rusk County, WI. A single wolf was exhibiting little fear of humans by coming in close proximity to an individual after attempts were made to frighten the wolf away. The DNR and USDA-Wildlife Services will continue to closely monitor the situation. Conflicts with wolves should be reported to USDA-Wildlife Services at 1-800-433-0663 in Southern WI and 1-800-228-1368 in Northern WI. The DNR partners with USDA-Wildlife Services to verify and manage wolf conflicts.

11-May-18
Why closely monitor the 'situation'? Shoot it and do some testing, starting with a DNA test.

11-May-18
Because it is illegal to shoot a wolf unless it is actually attacking a person thank to judge Crabb.

11-May-18
I meant that the DNR or USDA-Wildlife Services should shoot it. At least trap it and quarantine it while running some tests. If the DNA test indicates it is not 100% wolf then they should be able to kill it.

11-May-18
They can't either. Only relocate them.

11-May-18
If you feel that your life is threatened, you have every right to kill it.

11-May-18
Please relocate them to Madison. I was there on the square for a meeting today. In fact, bring a lot of them. When you see them licking their but you will know they are trying to get the bad taste out of their mouth.

11-May-18
Unfortunately not. The liberal agenda has put lives of animals above that of humans.

11-May-18
Talk about timing . I had an incident with a Wolf today .

I was on a scout mission for Turkeys & Deer in a remote area . Way in I came across a creek & started following it to look for Deer sign & Trout .

This was thick nasty stuff & after 500 yards I gave up & started following the Creek back to the logging road .

All of a sudden there Was Wolf tracks in the sand & muck that were NOT there when I 1st started . The tracks followed me for about 300 yards . I was taking a break & saw the Wolf about 50 yards to my left .

I had a tactical AR , turned on the laser & the Wolf ran off before I could squeeze off a shot . Very unnerving . Gave me the willys .

12-May-18
I’d imagine that there’s a wolf den in very close proximity there with some pups. I had witnessed this behavior while planting food plots on two occasions about 6-8 years ago. A mature wolf shadowed me on a ranger for a couple minutes like a Shepard as I sprayed a food plot. It was quite unnerving, especially with my old lab sitting next to me with her back hair standing straight up as I held her collar. Eventuallly did find the den, which was about 200 yards from where this occurred. I’ve seen a lot of wolves on this property... There were four instances where I felt somewhat threatened with two occurring this time of the year, as mentioned, one in early September and the other on an opening weekend of the rifle season. -Since the introduction of the wolf season I haven’t had any occurrences, but I’d venture to guess that the dehumanization/threat to them will bring more and more prevalent encounters as such again soon. They are smart animals that are at the top of the food chain. They quickly realize when they are no longer running the show.

12-May-18
I can assure you that if I had kids, and there was a threat, there would be no hesitation,,,,,,

12-May-18
Yup, get a pack established in Dane county and a whole lot of people will be changing their opinions. I usually carry a handgun when out scouting or shed hunting, kind of sad when you have to do that. Should only need to carry one when in the Chicago area. ;-(

12-May-18
" All of a sudden there Was Wolf tracks in the sand & muck that were NOT there when I 1st started . The tracks followed me for about 300 yards . I was taking a break & saw the Wolf about 50 yards to my left .

I had a tactical AR , turned on the laser & the Wolf ran off before I could squeeze off a shot . Very unnerving . Gave me the willys ."

Good story. But, I don't think it's legal to squeeze off a shot at a wolf in wisconsin, although I'm not sure as I don't live/own in areas where there are wolves (that would be dumb since we enjoy wildlife such as deer and we own dogs/etc) but you might want to check with someone before you think about squeezing off a shot at a wolf in wisconsin.

12-May-18
I'm of the opinion that legalities vary as to the situation.

12-May-18
if it's a life threating situation you would be justified in shooting a wolf........but 50 yards????...........it would have to be closer than 50 FEET before i would

12-May-18
"exhibiting little fear, coming in close proximity". Whats close? 40 acres? LOL! If it wanted to eat the guy, it would have. Im for proper management, but these B.S. drama stories get old....

12-May-18
"All of a sudden there Was Wolf tracks in the sand & muck that were NOT there when I 1st started . The tracks followed me for about 300 yards . I was taking a break & saw the Wolf about 50 yards to my left ."

Good thing he did not get you Glenn he would have shit Gray Wolf Woolens for a week!!!

Jeff from MN just use the X-gun and spine the beast like you do your deer:^)

12-May-18
Maybe it has cwd. Better kill it and do some testing....

12-May-18
Good hearing from yea Fletch . Your close, I was wearing one of Jeffs Wolfskin Jackets .

If I did shoot a Wolf I sure wouldn't post it . It was kind of a hi to get the red dot on its shoulder . Its only a matter of time until a human is killed by a Wolf . Theres a reason our forfathers spent 150 years trying to kill'em all .

At the last gunshow a guy was trying to sell

his Browning bow . I mentioned that 1 of his 5 arrows was slightly different . He said ," yea thats my Wolf arrow . Doesn't match & no prints . Interesting .

The state needs to gain control of the Wolves before hunters start taking control .

13-May-18
Hybrids are not protected, Ruger could kill them all day, 50 feet, 50 yards or 500 yards!

13-May-18
checking public records, those who have taken action on wolves, only monetary consequences, after stories are confirmed on what actually happened, and those are on collared wolves they could track

13-May-18
"If I did shoot a Wolf I sure wouldn't post it . It was kind of a hi to get the red dot on its shoulder. "

For the youngsters that might be reading this public forum one of the basic rules of safe gun handling is not aiming at something you don't plan on shooting, and I highly recommend following that rule. Also be sure of your target and beyond. I'd also not recommend putting the red dot on a bald eagle or the neighbor for the fun of it either. omg

13-May-18
Sorry HunterR or who ever you are . I live in a real world , not a pretend one . Can anyone out there say that they NEVER put their crosshairs , Iron sites or archery sites on something & not shoot it . Truely ? Can anyone make that claim ? .

It does feel good to have a talk without the word Cro____w in it . :-)

13-May-18
Ruger is the last guy I would ever question, on how to handle a gun, and when to get on target,,,,,, HunterR the guy has more gun experience in the real world, than you would ever know

13-May-18
I now carry a handgun when I venture in the woods. That's after having a standoff with 2 wolves one morning while walking out of the woods after bowhunting. Long story short, one wolf trotted off to my left and caught my eye and if it was for a twig snap I would of never heard the other 2 who were off to my right circling at about 20 yards. As I faced them they stopped and even after yelling they stood their ground and only after a few minutes did they slowly walk away. I tell you that was the longest walk out to the truck with a lot of looking over my shoulder.

13-May-18
We've had many in our tracks hours apart in snow during gun season bur what is ballsy is that you saw them. That give me the willysss too

13-May-18
Two years ago my wife and I were surrounded by 6 wolves in the dark.. They came In downwind and circled us fast with the one in front whimpering loudly in excitement. It was a eerie sound.. To this day I don't know what would have happened if I were alone.. Fortunately or unfortunately.. No shots were fired.. I yelled them off us.. but they followed us to my truck. Which was for a good 600 yards. Never forget that night.. I was carrying and it was a reminder to always carry... If you are in wolf country.. You'd be foolish not to..

14-May-18
After reading about these close encounters maybe I'll start packing too.

14-May-18
Would be interesting to shoot one and challenge the DNR to prove that it is a 100% pure wolf.

14-May-18
Tweed, from what I have seen, once a wolf has been shot, for whatever reason, and there is an investigation, into the cause and reason etc, from what I was told, no dna test were administered, at least not to the public knowledge.......

The Wolf Patrol, and the Center of Biodiversity, does go thru all open record reports that do exist. LE reports are open to be reviewed. It has been said, but I can not prove it, that they do a lot of phone harassment etc, if they get your info, after the cause and effect

14-May-18
"...they do a lot of phone harassment..." GH - can you explain this further? Who is "they"? And what sort of "phone harassment"? Not that I'm doubting your comment, just curious & would like further explanation.

Also, if I'm out in the field and am getting harassed by a large canine (wolf or not) I'm going to shoot the darn thing! I'll worry about the DNA test later, my personal safety or that of my loved ones comes first!

16-May-18
Afraid of wolves? A human attack by wolves is very, very, very rare. You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning, hit and killed by a drunk Wisconsin driver, falling off a ladder and breaking your leg, being shot by your wife/husband, choking on a cigar, etc., etc., etc.

Cougars now are different, so far in Wisconsin 187 people have been killed this year. No one is talking about this!

Don't get me talking about the Werewolf issue we have in Wisconsin. Luckily, we only have to deal with them once a month unless there is a Blue Moon.

Okay, I'm having a little fun...hopefully you get my point. BC

16-May-18
Exactly. How long have wolves been in Wisconsin now? How many people are out in the great outdoors in Wisconsin? Still nobody missing any body parts due to wolves as of today..... Seems strange considering all the reports of "almost being attacked". :>)

16-May-18
187 people have been killed in Wisconsin by what? Cougars?

17-May-18
Yeah... Noc.."cougars". Theyve been known to put their claws in and devour many of a young man. I'm honestly surprised its ONLY been 187 so far this year.

17-May-18
LoL^^^ You ain't kiddin.? I'll bet that number has jumped up a couple since your post.?

17-May-18
I always warn my son of these devils.

20-May-18
cougar just mauled 2 killing one in washington ....

20-May-18

MF's Link
Here the link to the Cougar killing

• Sitka Gear