ground hunter 13-May-18
RUGER1022 16-May-18
Konk1 16-May-18
Hh76 17-May-18
orionsbrother 17-May-18
sharpspur@home 17-May-18
ground hunter 17-May-18
12-May-18
This past few weeks, my legs have been saved, since I had a pair of lace up snake boots from Cabelas, to climb all them hills in Vernon County. That got me to thinking. What am I going to use, out there, in November during the rifle season. My boots for the swamps on the UP, are not going to cut it, climbing around in that area.....

Does anyone here, hunt that country on foot, in the cold season, what boots do you like. I was thinking of Schnees, but heard, they are not much for sitting in the cold, but are good for climbing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, curious what others use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know a lot of guys use ATV and condo stands out there, but the land I have permission to hunt, and our own, only hunting on foot is allowed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Best place to find boots in Wisconsin?

12-May-18
I hunt the same area and walking those hills is pretty brutal. I just use noninsulated Lacrosse rubber boots so I don't sweat a lot while walking in and have the Arctic Shield boot covers for when I get to my spot. Can throw a hand warmer in with the covers and you're good to go. I hunted until the middle of December like that all day and was fine. Toes will not be toasty after 5 or 6 hours but I was never uncomfortable enough to have to want to get out of the stand. Those covers really made a difference for me and being able to stay on stand longer.

12-May-18
Schnee's has taller pack boots designed for western hunting.

12-May-18
I am leaning towards those Schnees,,,,,,, torn about the sole, since the airbob would be great for Vernon County, however I do not know if it would serve any purpose up here,,,,,,,, my feet never get cold anyways,,,,, if they get that cold, I take my boots off and build a fire,,, ha ha ha

12-May-18

Fletch's embedded Photo
Fletch's embedded Photo
By far the most comfortable boot in the woods. The high heels keep you out of the muck and mud and your feet dry. Highly recommend.

12-May-18
I bought a pair of Cabelas boots last summer, but can't remember the name/style. They are a tall boot with 1,500 grams of thinsulate. They seem to be holding up well and are comfortable and warm. The sole is good. Usually I buy Danners, but thought I'd try these. I buy almost all my boots at the ShoeBox in Black Earth,wi.

12-May-18
If you are getting along in years, or are diabetic, keeping your feet comfortable can be a challenge,...I know, I am both!

However, I also have had good luck buying at the Shoe Box in Black Earth. Maybe this is not the best time to be buying cold weather boots and looking for a wide selection to choose from, but in the fall I don't know if there is a better on-site selection available anywhere. If you visit, ask for Steve (the owner) he sometimes offers generous discounts to ex-military, long time customers, etc. Good luck. Semper Fi.

12-May-18
GH - Schnee's with the air-bob sole work great in or out of the snow. Mine are 15 years old and I need to order a couple of new pairs of liners. I love them for out west and in the snow here, no snow I use my Lacrosse Burley's with the air-bob sole. You can't go wrong. They are also rebuildable.

13-May-18
Thanks mike, I thought the schnees would hold up well in them "hills",,,,,,,, They do not have half sizes, I usually take a 10W, I wonder if I should order a 11? Will have to call them

16-May-18
Any boot question is tricky to answer . Years ago I had a closet full of all the hi end boots You name the brand I had'em . And thats where they sit , in the closet .

For those Nov cold hunts in hilly country I wear lite thin layered boots But I heat them up to 100 overnite . Works great .

Even the mountain hunts have changed . The Rockys , Red wings , Brownings & so forth sit in the closet . My last 2 Elk hunts are a good example . CO . I wore hi top Tennis shoes . ID I wore Mocs. My legs were fresh every day .

Yea those hi top 3 to 7 layer boots just sit in the closet .

16-May-18
Mike never heard of the air-bob soles, can you please post a link?

17-May-18
I used to concentrate on finding warm boots to keep my feet from freezing, but then I would have to compromise on comfort/weight. Now I just aim for comfort, and use boot blankets when I decide to sit.

When it's really cold, I put a handwarmer on top of my boot toe inside the overboot.

17-May-18
^^^^^^ What Hh76 said

17-May-18
I hunt the ridges and valleys of Wilton to Lafarge and west along the Miss. River. During the winter months of Nov. and December, I wear 600 gram Irish setter Elk hunters. Great boot and less expensive than the Danner Rainforests I use to wear. Good support, good traction and the sole doesn't get rock hard and slippery in freezing temps.

17-May-18
lots of good advice,,,, I had a pair of those Irish setters, at 600, wore the crap out of them, good boot,,,,,,,,,, will have to look into that.....

Glenn I hunted elk in tennis shoes also, who said they were made for basketball, was not a hunter,,,, ha ha,,,,,, however, not going to hold up in the SW, in November,,, hah a

• Sitka Gear