TT-Pi 18-May-18
Will 18-May-18
TT-Pi 18-May-18
TT-Pi 18-May-18
TT-Pi 18-May-18
Will 19-May-18
TT-Pi 19-May-18
12-May-18
Scientists have detected a sudden spike in temperature and catastrophic decline in Air quality over Hawaii. They are sure it is Man-made Global warming.

12-May-18
Haha oh boy

12-May-18
You know the same thing was happening this past fall in the area over my home. Come to find out I was actually to blame... my 4 boys were home and we had all consumed a ridiculous amount of venison chili. Hahaha

12-May-18
I suspect 97% of climatologists would agree that the air over Hawaii may be warmer than normal right now... ;)

12-May-18
And this time they may have it right but will likely botch its meaning once again. Somewhere in the remaining 3 %, mingling with the crazies is the one with the right disposition. But unfortunately, the judge and jury are common folk and have no business trying to understand that which is beyond them.

13-May-18
1 out of 10 dentists doesn't recommend brushing... :)

13-May-18
Brushing makes me think of sugar, which makes me think of ice cream, which is delicious. Wish I had some ice cream.

13-May-18
I guess we can trust some of the Scientists with some things, sometimes. But if one will mangle and massages the data enough, one can get almost any answer they seek. Like the 97% consensus implication. It is only a consensus on " the planet is currently warming" ( it is ) and not a consensus on why it is warming. ( that number is considerably smaller). Or if we should or need to do anything at all or more about it. ( that number is again smaller by half). So the 97% number is a fabrication and a distortion/deception because it has implications that are not accurate or qualified. This is where the contortion of the facts is found , manipulated to mislead the masses. And 100% of Scientists agree with that. But of course, you know that already ...

Tell me if you can, Where did the water on our planet come from? Scientists had a consensus that it was delivered by meteors ... whaaaa haha haa haaa haaa That is a good one!

PS, And the same dentists said to brush up and down before they changed there mind and then back again ... must have been friends with the Dr's that brought us Thalidomide.

13-May-18

Will's Link
Unrelated, but I think you would like it Pi... There was a fantastic show on Nova (pbs show) last week, bet you could find it on the PBS site. Any way, they were discussing earth's development and things like the earliest signs of life which geologists have been able to find, wild stuff like the changes in rock and mineral's which result from respiration of micro-organisms. Even cooler was the realization that many minerals likely formed AFTER life first would have started due to Oxygen increases from early life causing changes in how their structures would develop. Pretty awesome stuff.

I think this is it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/life-rocky-start.html

13-May-18
Thanks Will, Ill look at it.

Similar subject: the interesting global event that created the worlds "fossil fuel" reserve. And the chemical process that continues to produce further reserves, way down yonder.

Anyone willing to put up a theory of earth's water origin?

Another but easy question for the " new to earth studies" people. Who knows how the oceans got the salt? Don't blurt out the answer, please.

13-May-18

Will's Link
Unrelated, but since this was not just about global warming, thought some of you may enjoy it as well... the final line sums up best: be good for goodness sake.

14-May-18
Agreed it was just in jest,

In response to your last post/link... and then there is: Eminent Domain and Government-owned land, Restricted use of spaces, State and Federal conflicting laws and so on... Tell the government to be good for goodness sake but then we circle back around to that itchy question " From what conditions/perspective /terms/values do we evaluate what is good? The politics of Perspective

14-May-18
Can I play with the salty ocean one. I know that one...

As for HOH... I know what I've read about that... (original equipment, not all deposited here via meteor)... which goes with the whole early life was here wayyyyy prior than originally thought realization as well.

14-May-18
Scrapes and rubs...

14-May-18
I thought i had come to Bowsite to read about all those turkey’s you guys are getting, but i must have gotten turned around on the information superhighway...

14-May-18
Welcome to climatesite.com folks. No fake news here, believe me!

14-May-18
Ha!!!!

14-May-18
It's all good.

Early on in our planet's development, racing through space as a molten ball of iron we cooled enough to form a crust. The center was still very hot. This planet collected a layer of space ice which grew ever thicker as we entered the orbit of the sun and began to slow down.

Like a giant snowball (ice ball ) we slowed down into the orbit we currently have and from the internal heat, we began to experience the first of our global warming events. The ice melted and the waters were upon the face of the earth.

Remember that You heard it here first.

15-May-18

Woodsman1987's embedded Photo
Woodsman1987's embedded Photo
Can't sit and let this be an echo chamber. Even if you refuse to acknowledge all the other myriad ways in which climate change will impact your life, that fact that you are on this site means that you should be concerned about the implications of climate change for the natural resources we enjoy as sportsmen.

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/public-policy/climate-change-and-waterfowl https://www.nwf.org/~/media/PDFs/Global-Warming/Reports/NowheretoRun-BigGameWildlife-LowResFinal_110613.ashx http://www.conservationhawks.org/what-we-do-1/

15-May-18
Lets definitely keep this civil, but if anyone wants to have a civil discussion about climate change, I think it could be really productive.

15-May-18
I'm all for the climate changing, provided the changes are more positive than negative. I believe the additional CO2 is not destined to destroy our comfortable existence and in fact, will benefit our world population and earth's health. If our habitation here is not destined to self-destruct, the changes and byproducts that occur is something to work with not fear.

Instead of doing the long version here I would suggest that people begin by reading some of Freeman Dyson. You will find some simple statements in the simple search but there is a great depth of information and scientific explanation to back up his position ... You need to dig deeper. Good luck.

Tom Nelson: Freeman Dyson: It would be crazy to try to reduce CO2 tomnelson.blogspot.com/2015/04/freeman-dyson-it-would-be-crazy-to-try.html

Apr 6, 2015 - 15:15 "CO2 is so beneficial in other ways, it would be crazy to try to reduce it" 16:40: "Average temperature of the Earth..is a very poorly defined ...

15-May-18
And to address the chart above. So what?

From a Wry Heat reprinted with permission of Jonathan DuHamel

A new post on The Hockey Schtick reviews a new paper “that finds only about 3.75% [15 ppm] of the CO2 in the lower atmosphere is man-made from the burning of fossil fuels, and thus, the vast remainder of the 400 ppm atmospheric CO2 is from land-use changes and natural sources such as ocean outgassing and plant respiration.”

This new work supports an old table from the Energy Information Administration which shows the same thing: only about 3% of atmospheric carbon dioxide is attributable to human sources. The numbers are from IPCC data. Look at the table and do the arithmetic: 23,100/793,100 = 0.029. URL for the table: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/archive/gg04rpt/pdf/tbl3.pdf

Add to that a recent discovery which I presume to be true. about 17% of the reported CO2 level is in error. Which is to say that the reported level was significantly higher than it truly is during the "hysteria phase" of the last 15 years or so.

15-May-18
Woodsman, I'm looking forward to seeing your discussion. Pi and I have a "agree to disagree" on the Anthropogenic Global Warming discussion, I'm curious to see and hear your thoughts.

Overall, this sort of "on going" conversation RE various scientific points has been astonishingly civil here in the MA page. I think all players want to keep it that way due to a built up level of mutual respect and appreciation from great camaraderie here. We have a UNIQUE and most awesome internet forum page here. Love that you were focused on that as well!

15-May-18
image Sorry it didn't copy. but it shows the wave-like relationship. In short, it correlates the natural cycles with Co2 fluctuations.

Figure 4. Residuals from the quadratic and exponential fits.

Both fits show similar cyclic behavior, with the CO2 levels higher than predicted from about 1958-62 and also 1978-92. More rapid oscillations with smaller amplitudes occur after 2002. There are sharp peaks in 1973 and 1998 (the latter coinciding with the super El Niño.) Whether the oil crisis of 1973 has anything to do with this I can’t say. For persons who know more than I about decadal oscillations, these results may be of interest.

The data were taken from the NOAA site at ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ccg/co2/trends

15-May-18
Snickers,..

Remember ,.. Pi's earlier post on another thread about climate change,..

"who cares" so Woodsman,... you will not change someone's views who honestly just does not give a damn,.. He only sees what reinforces his current view and is blind to all else.

Woodsman,.. I thought Will and I were the only outspoken sorts on this forum,.. Congrates,.. !!!!

A tip of the hat to you,.. from out in Western Mass,.. where you located?

Jeez guys I step away for a few weeks and nearly fell over when I saw a Global Warming Thread,.. with 23 posts,.... I was like WTF? ,.. then I saw Pi started it and realized he was just Trolling,.. again,... again,...

Pi you are not located in the USSR or anything are ya? :)

15-May-18
I couldn't help but poke some fun at you guys last night;) I've kept out of this topic thus far, mostly because I'm not very well read on the subject. I'm sure I've mentioned before, I'm a diehard skier. I spent a few summers after highschool ski bumming on a glacier in the southern Canada area of the Pacific NorthWest. Not once did we worry about having enough snow to ski throughout the entire summer. That glacier now has less snow than it has ever had in all of recorded history. It's on the verge of being unskiable throughout the summer months. It's unrecognizable in the pictures I've seen from the past few seasons. I realize this is far from scientific data, but it's something concrete I can look at with my own two eyes and realize something ain't quite right here. I want to ski until the day I die and I want my kids kids to experience that rush, so forgive me for disagreeing with your enthusiasm for the climate changing, Pi.

15-May-18
Thanks BB. Is it snowing where you are?

Your cherry picking and taking information out of context again. I have repeatedly said that I care. If what you say above was true then you would be the first to surmise my disposition in that way. And I have a long and successful resume in academic circles in institutions that range from reality-based to progressive.

And honestly BB , I started this obvious JEST in light of the recent volcanic eruption. It was not serious and was civil until you joined in. Get it in check and spit out those sour grapes...

15-May-18
huntskifishcook.... no problem. But I would caution you from drawing conclusions based on your experience. The earth cycles and processes are very complicated and interwoven. Most of your skiing will depend on precipitation patterns and not limited by one degree, one way or another.

If you were born 20 thousand years ago you would be under a half mile of ice. Or on top with a toboggan.

And to add, Forgive me for this opinion: If the greater good of our world population benefits from a slightly warmer climate with enhanced co2 then your kid's skiing on your favorite mountain should be the least of your concerns and rather near-sighted of you. Get some rollerblades! All in good humor friend.

15-May-18
Hey Guys, I have a ton of respect for the guys on this forum and, in meeting some of you in person, have made some good friends. Belchertown Bowman, I live just north of Boston and just finished up my doctorate in marine ecology. I will actually be returning to my home state of NC in the next few months.

As for the fluctuations in CO2 taken from ice cores, there is no doubt that there are fluctuations over geological time. However, what we have seen since the industrial revolution is unprecedented. I drive a truck and don't have solar panels, so I am not trying to be on a high horse here, but the facts have really become undeniable. We are altering the atmosphere in dramatic ways.

Sorry that the image didn't show up for some, but if you have a minute and a half to watch this video, it shows co2 concentration over nearly the past million years (starts recent and then expands backwards). These are co2 readings taken from bubbles trapped in ice, not inferred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatUDnFmNTY

15-May-18
Thanks, Woodsman . There is no dispute that there is more CO2 right now than in recent history ( many thousands of years ) But it is not unprecedented and its correlation to global conditions are not isolated nor are they a significant /direct "cause and effect related" relationship. Not to any great degree at least. And the addition of further CO2 has a limit to its effect. Furthermore, The Atmosphere has mechanisms that counteract ( feedbacks) and is not without the far greater influences that are beyond the internal system. Sun-solar conditions, Orbit, oscillation, pitch ,wobble etc.

The Ordovician -Silurian period had roughly 4000 ppm and the Jurassic Cretaceous period was 2000 ppm. We are currently at 400 ppm or so. ( plants and subsequently other life thrive at much higher amounts )

If CO2 were a driver of climate (particularly a direct cause for warming in its proportion) then we should have burned up by those events. Instead, we have had ice ages and mini warming periods on the way down and up with no causative correlation to CO2.

Is it a driver of climate or major events of our planet ? is the proportion enough to bring about catastrophic events? Is it a problem (if a problem at all) worth severely altering our lives over? Are the benefits greater than the assumed downside? Again: read Freeman Dyson for some reasoning on this. His qualifications are unmatched. Congrats on your doctorate degree!

15-May-18
What do the Ice Core Bubbles Really Tell Us? Guest Blogger / January 20, 2018

There is real problems with core ice samples that are explained in the above article. When you research the process of how those "bubbles" occur and the dynamic process they go through while being "Deposited" and thereafter affected. ( it is not a simple process) . The great depth of the samples taken ( by necessity ), the location of those source processes, the flux of heating and cooling, water runoff and so on and massive physics involved may tell us something but clearly not what we need to know. (What some claim to know and what it means)

15-May-18
Pi, as I've noted elsewhere, my formal education is about human physiology and education vs about environmental science and related fields. So I dont know much about every possible testing method, it's positives, it's negatives, etc... That said, we just had a guy who's literally a PhD ecologist (Congrats Woodsman!) lay down some very interesting and compelling info.

Yes, it supports my beliefs, so it's easy for me to accept...

Question. Can you bullet, no extrapolation needed, just bullets, so I can do some of my own research, the best tests (from your reading) to try to answer the question of whether there is AGW.

I want to better understand why those tests may be more valid than the tests which show different data.

I do want to be considering multiple angles. It always helps. Whether I agree or disagree with what I am learning, it helps.

I know you have researched the heck out of it, I know you have a belief that's different from mine, so I'd like to better understand some of the key points that lead you there. May not change my mind, I dont know... but it will be educational regardless.

15-May-18
Will , thanks for the interest and I will try to dig up some of the research. It's been almost 10 years and two computers so most of my stuff is lost in the techno forest. I can mostly recall with good accuracy what I have researched. Gift and burden of a vivid memory bank...

By the way, my beliefs are not firmly against or for any particular end but I try to test the validity of assumptions and seek proof for the theory/beliefs. After I began to question the data/methods on my own I began to find similar minds such as F. Dyson ( a lifelong liberal Democrat ) Go figure!

15-May-18
So glad we got a discussion started! Thanks for the congrats, Will.

TT-Pi. I am definitely interested in hearing more as well. It is definitely a good point about the fact that there were high CO2 levels hundreds of millions of years ago due to volcanism. Here are a couple interesting articles discussing that: https://www.livescience.com/44330-jurassic-dinosaur-carbon-dioxide.html. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earths-co2-could-spike-to-a-level-not-seen-since-the-dinosaurs/

It isn't necessarily that the earth has never seen these levels of CO2 before, but the rate of change is absolutely unprecedented and the fact that humans are driving the trend is clear. As for whether it is worth dramatically changing out lives over, while nothing in science is 100 percent certain, I think the evidence for severe impacts on the only planet we have is enough that it merits investment in alternative energy. Ultimately, even beyond the climate change aspect, this will be good for the economy and increase our energy independence.

16-May-18
Cool looking article Woodsman, i'm excited to check it out. Hey, I'm fuzzy, but now that I think about it, did you post a few times when you first got up here curious about places to hunt of fish close to Boston?

Regardless, good point on the rate of change in CO2 levels. Does that relate to C12 or 13 (hope I got that right) in particular? IE, there is a stout increase in CO2 levels, which is more biased to the C12 sub type v 13, suggesting fossil fuels/energy production using said fuels may be playing a larger role?

16-May-18
Awesome, buddy. They are really interesting articles. I definitely don't want to preach to anyone, but I hope that some of the information in there will be food for thought for everyone.

Inherent in everything in science is some degree uncertainty, so definitely be cautious about anyone who says they are 100% certain about anything. Having read the thoughtful posts from many across this sight, the vast majority of people are definitely critical thinkers and I just want to share some articles that show that the preponderance of evidence shows dramatic changes in CO2 associated with human activities. Again, no high horse here.

Will, that is a really good point about C12 vs C13 (two isotopes of Carbon). The ratio of c12 to c13 was fairly constant until about 150 years ago, when humans began harnessing fossil fuels. Since then the ratio of c12 to c13. Since then the proportion of c12, characteristics of Co2 derived from burning fossil fuels, has increased dramatically. You definitely know your stuff.

Definitely keep any questions or counterpoints coming.

Until then.....shoot straight.

16-May-18
Woodsman , The sharp increase in our use of fossil fuel is not the only massive change in human behavior over the last 150 years. I am sure it is a contribution and maybe a large part of the equation, especially before the bright idea of mufflers, scrubbers and such but land use, deforestation, perhaps Nuclear testing, Volcanic activity and farming practices have also changed dramatically and subsequent co2 release as well as the sudden absence of forest/ tropical rain forest, which mitigates the amount uptaken. Do you think it significant! Do you believe that a Trillion trees would uptake the excess airborne carbon?

You mention "severe impact" and I would like to hear more about that. Granted we need to separate the issues of "other " contributions both natural and of man's contributions such as obvious pollutants IE; runoff of chemicals and waste materials ( in particular the damage to marine life).

I would venture to say that the "severe impacts" that you have in mind are a combination of events but I would like to have you list a few that are primarily a problem caused by added CO2 alone to our planet. Or greatly dependent on it. We can take them on one at a time.

17-May-18
"Ultimately, even beyond the climate change aspect, this will be good for the economy and increase our energy independence."

First be sure there is a negative "climate change". More negative than positive. If there is /was no negative effect on the planet there would be no need to have "alternatives."

Regarding "good for the economy " That is a long and speculative discussion about the economics of alternatives. Which is exactly why gross exaggeration and speculation is often used to scare us into believing the proposed end justifies the current action/ subsidies.

To be fair there is a point at which a blend of all available sources reach an equilibrium (it is not a fixed point because it slides according to changing variables) and that depends on the marginal costs of each. In upfront cost it is no competition . Fossil fuels win big. When proposed externalities are factored in there is more to consider and alternatives become more attractive. Even more so as the proposed externalities are exaggerated. So careful evaluation of real economic and real-world environmental impacts are critical to know.

I have read that most scientists believe that "the damage" of our worlds initial massive usage of FF's is already done. There is a good argument for reducing ( as we have) our increase. That is a tough sell to developing countries such as China and India. But we can keep ours in check and help them out with their technology.

A combination of reducing the marginal cost of renewables and increasing energy efficiency is what I believe is the best course of action and we are already doing that. But to manipulate the process is always a questionable practice ( based on projected "opinions of future damage" and artificially manipulated cost of each form of energy production ) and that is where the argument gets fuzzy.

Energy independence? I don't believe we can survive without oil . Unless of course, we re-invest in Nuclear power. Alternatives will not give us independence but will provide some relief to traditional fuels. More drilling, coal mining, and gas extraction will give us independence on a level that keeps us in the game. Lowered use ( more efficiency ) will stave off (our portion of )the further accumulation of the dreaded CO2 but getting the developing countries on board is the greatest challenge. IE China and India. These are countries that are moving the majority of their people to a better standard of living. Out of Poverty. And Coal is the fuel of choice ... I would think that the cleanest coal plant is the only option that will interest them. So, if we really care about this, it is imperative that we help them with the best technology and subsidies. Otherwise, all the effort and hardship we put upon ourselves will be almost pointless.

18-May-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
See,.. there is some agreement,.. some.

18-May-18
And then there is this issue.

The climate in Vinland - Great Unsolved Mysteries in Canadian History www.canadianmysteries.ca/sites/vinland/othermysteries/climate/4157en.html

18-May-18
BB 100 % democrats wanted HRC for our president. ( correction: 100% of Dems wanted Not Trump). They must be getting their news from Satan himself. ( other non -Hillary voters excluded) The overlap in the survey opinion ( if at all real and I doubt it is valid) goes to the point that Americans are not well informed in scientific issues (and most things beyond their little specialties ), A survey/poll about peoples opinion ( as it is not an informed one) is pointless and not relevant to the reality of the subject.

It is only good news for the people who wish to persuade others without any basis in reality. Satans Fake news helpers.

18-May-18
I have not read it yet... (Pi's last article or BB's that you guys are referring to)... so this is just a thought after reading Pi's last post.

1.) I'd say a sizable portion of Dem's voted Sanders in primary's and in the final voted Stein or abstained. I know a lot of folks who may have written in or voted green etc but were so worried President Trump would win, they voted for HRC.

2.) Wholly smokes... Americans are brutal under-informed on science related issues. A quick scan of FakeBook feeds and the god awful meme's related to scientific facts is flat astonishing. Admittedly, I'm into science so I may be biased. But when I see the stuff people throw out or comments made both via social media and even the media (MSM & NON MSM) it's flat out amazing. And I dont mean when the news intentionally interviews people with questions like "What's the rate limiting step in glycolysis"...

(NOTE: That all said, "Dihydrogen Monoxide Awareness" on social media is frigging hysterical! Making water sound poison as heck just cracks me up for some reason)

I listened to a cool interview with Joe Rogan (his podcast is actually pretty dang good) and Neil Tyson Degrasse the other day. Degrasse noted that every college student should have to take a semester course on confirmation bias and how we assimilate and read information. That's a big "Hell Yeah" from this guy. I'd suggest that a similar - though developmentally appropriate version - course should be done to start middle school and again in 9th or 10th grade to make dang sure people at least have fail safe's to help "Dunning Kruger Proof" themselves, so to speak.

18-May-18
Your right Will. I was being silly about the 100% democrat thing. But it isn't much better news for those on the D side to have wanted a loopy Socialist and then a candidate that had no chance at all. No worries, Trump will make their lives better even if they don't like it.

I can't find the statistics on who switched to whom. Maybe they got sensible at the last second and voted for Trump. Either way its Dihydrogen Monoxide under the bridge.

18-May-18
Glycolysis • The Glycolytic pathway describes the oxidation of glucose to pyruvate with the generation of ATP and NADH • It is also called as the Embden-Meyerhof Pathway • Glycolysis is a universal pathway; present in all organisms: from yeast to mammals. • In eukaryotes, glycolysis takes place in the cytosol • Glycolysis is anaerobic; it does not require oxygen • In the presence of O2 , pyruvate is further oxidized to CO2 . In the absence of O2 , pyruvate can be fermented to lactate or ethanol. • Net Reaction: Glucose + 2NAD++ 2 Pi + 2 ADP = 2 pyruvate + 2 ATP + 2 NADH + 22O

18-May-18
To avoid the Dunning Kruger effect one would need the same mental faculties that would render the need to avoid it obsolete.

It is likely that education (from homelife to University ) is doing a piss poor job at pointing out a deficiency in the new generation student. Perhaps "participation trophies" and "your alright / I'm alright " idea was flawed.

Yu know, " we are just as valid in our opposite opinions but you have your stinking facts that make you think your better than me" "Wouldn't you rather be liked than right?" And so on... It's sad that this kind of thinking disorder has developed.

19-May-18
I dont think so Pi... at least if I hear you correctly. Gaining not just knowledge but awareness of context is a big player in not falling trap to overly strong, self satisfying and tribal beliefs. People will believe false hoods even more strongly when presented with facts... if those falsehoods disagree with the tribally inspired world view they possess. That's a psychological reality, though I'm forgetting the psych "name" for that phenomenon. So you could have a genius, for example, who bought into a specific world view that would even more vehemently deny that world view after seeing factual rationale for it being untrue. They have the faculties but not the contextual awareness nor emotional courage to view things differently from their tribe.

DK, in the original paper, suggest that we ALL climb my stupid (peak of inflated expectations, in their words) as we learn. Those who work to develop it or who naturally seem better able to see context, and mitigate their own value in the process seem to fall off my stupid faster and seek mastery, understanding they will never really get there....

The danger is when folks climb my stupid and think: "I got this" and stop seeking, comparing ideas, challenging their understanding.... to me, that's a great example of internet geniuses. See topic, Google 20', assume you know everything about the topic and act like it.

Its actually something I like about formal v self driven educational processes. They challenge us to look beyond where our eyes would naturally wander, thus helping develop that contextual understanding to more completely look at subjects.

We may have just said the same thing... I'm waiting for an electrician to finish some work so it seemed a good time for a long winded answer ha ha ha.

This is from my phone, hopefully its readable!

19-May-18
I think we did just say the same thing. The process you described, describes the condition of our current population in general and perhaps is common to most group conditions. That "formal education "(potential benefit) is only as positive as the educational precepts it promotes. It can also be a trap if it is intending to force feed/ homogenized ideas or discourage examination of those ideas. I would say that form of politicizing education has become the norm, at least in lower education and mass media and is creeping upward into universities. It is alarming and I didn't see that back when.

Emotional courage is a great point. Who has it and why?

I agree that the remedy is as you describe. If you practice that self-check and exercise intellectual honesty ( which has an "emotional strength" element ) the advancement is expedited and the pitfalls overcome more quickly.

We seem to have gotten away from fair and civil debate/dialogue and have embraced a passionate but ridiculous form of mass communication. ( some outlets are far more extreme than others ) That is the very change that I believe has entered education on most levels from home to schools and social media. The common man has somehow become hardened to rational thought and a "whole language approach." While specializing in our focus we lose the broader disposition.

It may be economic/educational/ modern life, due to modern demands but it also seems to go hand in hand with a loss of positive spiritual life (humility and reverence for something greater ) and an embrace of self-glorification ( An ego thing). That is the thing I am referring to above. I agree it is not how "genius" one is per se but more smarts cant hurt ( they can fall into the trap just as the idiot would). Unless we broaden the term Genius to include the mental process that keeps the pitfall in check ( speed of recovery to the stupid factor in us all). But we tend to use that word to point to specific accomplishments and not to learning aptitude itself.

That is what I mean by: "To avoid the Dunning Kruger effect one would need the same mental faculties that would render the need to avoid it obsolete." We need the mental process/faculties that you mention above and that you practice personally to " avoid" it ( to not stay stuck in stupid for a long time). That isn't being taught in our culture. I would say it is often the opposite. That arrogant mindset is the promotion of that ignorant disposition, which is a byproduct of our current cultural values and practices.

So I think we agree, or so it seems to me there is a lot of common themes overlapping ... But, I could be wrong.

• Sitka Gear