Will 16-May-18
notme 16-May-18
spike78 16-May-18
Will 16-May-18
notme 17-May-18
Will 17-May-18
bowandspear 19-May-18
15-May-18
I've had a weird observation lately, and I'm curious if you all have had similar experiences... This may actually be an informal poll.

I dont get ticks on me to often, despite being out where they live. My wife on the other hand, they LOVE. If I'm wandering through the woods, i almost always have knee high rubber boots on, she almost never does.

Then I got to thinking about some other friends who are in the woods for work or play. Those who wear knee high rubber boots seems to also report fewer ticks being on them, regardless of "spray" used.

So, how about you all... do you tend to wear rubber boots, or sneakers/hikers/"standard boots" when out on the woods and waters? have you noticed anything like I've noticed with ticks?

15-May-18
Funny you bring this up. I almost never wear rubber knee high boots. They are loud and uncomfortable. I wore them this morning because I knew I would be in some wet areas. No ticks on me. Every other time I've had at least one. Coincidence? Maybe... I'm not sure.

15-May-18
Ticks respond to body heat, rubber is an insulator?

15-May-18
Ticks do respond to our exhales ( yup CO2) and also gravitate towards urine, so it says but they are not fast movers. Mostly they hang out and wait for passing hosts. They are most often in the lowest areas near the ground ( grass and such) ground level and up to 18 - 24 inches. Rubber is tough to grab onto .

At my last home, a walk in the farm ( road / path ) with low grass would often yield 20 ticks or more on my sneakers and socks. In shorts it is clear that they are starting very low and working their way up. Tall slick Rubber boots would likely be a tough start to their journey.

15-May-18
I think TT speaks wisdom. I wear rubber bots and rarely have ticks on me.

16-May-18
Will, me thinks this is a question for them yogi guys up on the mountian..i tend to do things without thinking and on the fly,so i hunt and scout all over tick central fairfield and litchfield county in shorts ,t shirt and work boots..hardly ever a tick on me,but if my ex's kid is with me hes loaded with them..lucky maybe but i chalk it up to massive amounts of coffee, nicotine and heineken..

Interesting about the urine..i must keep that in mind the next time i crash an out of hand fairfield u sorority party the night before i hunt..lol

16-May-18
Rubber boots all the way, love ‘em. Keeps the ticks off and keeps my delicate feet nice and dry.

16-May-18
Rubber boots and summer don't go together. Google "permethrin coated gaiters". Some options to achieve the same goal. Tekoa

16-May-18
Tekoa, I want a "field guide to the outdoors" from you man. I have a ton of Gaiters, some which I dont use for not good reason - just saved em after buying "the latest greatest". I could easily douse those old ones in permethrin and give that a go for a cooler option. That's an awesome idea.

Interesting that a few of you have noticed a similar deal with the rubber boots. My non insulated Lacrosse AB's have been my early deer/turkey boots for years, and my "out for a scout/fishing" boots if I'm not wearing hip boots or actual waders.

Notme - hope all is well man! I should post this on the CT forum to lure Doc back and cause poor BBB to lose his marbles :) ha ha ha (Kidding Bob if you stalk MA and see this). You know, I would get more of those "deer louse" flies on me down there than ticks. Admittedly, I tended to wear, rubber boots and be permethrined down due to fear of the ticks... I always attributed that to lack of ground cover in so many places from browsing (I only hunted Centennial Watershed in SW CT, no private spots, and most of that is pretty open outside a few swampy areas). Interesting to hear about your son... Sort of lends me towards my belief that some folks just are more attractive to bugs. I dont even get bit by black flies and mosquitoes to much, when I do, it's just a tiny lump for a few hours and gone. My wife and kids? They get bit and it looks like they were shot with a load of #6's! Crazy!

16-May-18
Life is good bud..man im not sure the ct forum can go through another 500count thread on ticks, not this early anyways..it would be funny though...lol

I was never really a bug magnet. Even fishing estuaries my buds would get nailed by those kamakazi gnats and id get barely a bite...maybe its the italian blood or the chili dogs in my surf bag..lol

16-May-18
I think it is just harder for a tick to grab onto a rubber boot then a pair of pants. Thats my theory.

16-May-18
I'm starting to think that Spike.

Notme - that's hilarious. I'm in the same boat. Others are getting drilled, and I'm not... and if I get bit, comparatively, I have almost no reaction. Lucky... Or, perhaps the greek blood in me is similar to your Mediterranean blood ha ha ha!

17-May-18
Olive oil and stinky feet cheese..its in our dna..lol

17-May-18
Ha! No kidding right. Maybe the slip off the skin due to the olive oil... Or figure anything that smells that bad cant taste good... They are oh, sooo wrong :)

19-May-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
Well I have neen rubber rubber boots in because I have to cross almost knee deep swamp to get to my turkey spot. No ticks. But I will add... I have been using Repel Tick Defense this spring turkey hunting or while just in woods with sneakers. "No ticks". Active ingredient is "picaridin". Never heard of it.

• Sitka Gear