Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
MNElkHunter 17-May-18
JohnMC 17-May-18
ColoBull 18-May-18
LINK 18-May-18
MNElkHunter 21-May-18
17-May-18
Hi all, I have been following the various forums on this site for a while now and have seen some very helpful advise from various members. I was hoping to get some advice on the best time to archery hunt elk in GMU 71. Unfortunately, I do not live in CO so my hunts are limited to between 7-10 days. Therefore I am hoping to get some advice on when the best time to plan my hunt would be. Any advice would be appreciated.

17-May-18
3rd rifle season

18-May-18
"...advice on the best time to archery hunt elk in GMU 71". We've not hunted 71, but have spent a fair bit of time in the units just to the east. We like to be there opening day/week ( or two), before and as the hunting pressure starts to move them around. We also like to be there for the last week - as the rut typically begins to kick in. Of the 30 days, only the 9 day Muzzy season MIGHT be a time to avoid, but usually isn't all that bad. Otherwise - it's all good. Best of luck!

18-May-18
I was there last week last year. Bulls would respond but quickly take their cows and leave . I only found one bull that wasn’t cowed up and I screwed that up. Bulls would never bugle unsolicited but would respond to calls. Maybe muzzy week and 4-5 days before and after. We hunted the last muzzy weekend and never saw a muzzle loader but we generally hunted where we didn’t bump into anyone. Lots of roads, get .5 mile + away from a road and you leave 90% of the traffic.

21-May-18
Colo and Link, thanks for the advice. I have been out there before and during muzzle loader season and are have been successful finding animals, but unfortunately have not sealed the deal yet. What are your thoughts on bugling? I was able to call a bull in by bugling a couple years ago (last ditch effort on last day of hunt), but never hear any vocal bulls while I am out there. Not sure if I should stay quite until I hear one, or to give a try right away.

• Sitka Gear