Bigbuckbob 23-May-18
GF 23-May-18
notme 23-May-18
>>---CTCrow---> 24-May-18
notme 24-May-18
GF 24-May-18
GF 25-May-18
21-May-18
In a rare Cougar attack in Washington State, two bike riders were attacked. One was killed the second was seriously injured. The Cougar was later shot and killed. Rare attack, most attacks have been on children in the past. Hope to hear more about this incident.

21-May-18
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cyclist-mauled-death-mountain-lion-152917107.html

21-May-18
Ugh. Sort of reminds me of that one in San Diego (area) about 10 years ago that killed one cyclist.... Then tried to get another shortly later, but her riding partner grabbed her by the feet, cougar had her head - but thankfully via a mouth grip on the helmet... As others showed and threw rocks at the cat eventually it let go and they saved the lady.

While I don't believe there is a "resident" population here, clearly (as that cat hit by a car proves) they may wander through now and then... And with Mt Lion dna at a horse attack site in my home town up here in MA, where I mountain bike a lot... Have to admit, I find myself looking over my shoulder a lot more. Probably wouldnt help if a cougar wanted me... but it's about all you can do.

23-May-18
Pepper spray? Somebody said it works on “anything that has a face”...

And I read somewhere that your best bet is to grab hold of their tongue.... should it come to that....

23-May-18
"grab hold of their tongue"

C'mon, any 3 stooges fan knows you poke them in the eyes.

23-May-18
Cewtainly, nuck, nuck, nuck

23-May-18
LOL

I guess if I was close enough to try it, it’d be worth a try....

Makes sense that they wouldn’t like it.. and whenever we had a puppy that got too mouthy - grabbing at hands - pushing farther in always got them to let go. And no animal likes being grabbed, so there’s that.

One thing for sure - that’s a No Holds Barred confrontation there!

23-May-18
Dont forget the hair pull..puddin head..lol

24-May-18
Pepper spray? Somebody said it works on “anything that has a face”...

And I read somewhere that your best bet is to grab hold of their tongue.... should it come to that....

Not on latino cougars. They like it spicy.

24-May-18
mucho caliente

24-May-18
Well, sounds like the spray worked for that gal who got Griz-grabbed....

God bless her. Hope she heals up quick!

25-May-18
By the way.... I did a little further reading on this case, and it sounded as though they had done everything right, up to and including smacking him with a bike.

So this was a determined attack by the cat, and once it got through to one of the humans, the other bolted.... and got dead.

Really a shame... if they’d had a weapon, they surely would have had time to use it, and at hand-to-hand distance. Pepper pistol, Taser, 2/2B2ear Spray, handgun, knife.... SOMETHING!

• Sitka Gear