Moultrie Mobile
5/22
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
huntskifishcook 22-May-18
Will 22-May-18
MA_Bowhunter 22-May-18
22-May-18
Today was probably my last hunt of the season and it was certainly an exciting hunt to close it out. I slipped into a place where birds have been roosting all spring. I estimated I was about 80 yards from where they had been roosting when a gobble blew up from almost directly above me around 4:30. I slowly slipped back out until I was probably 30-40 yards from the roosted bird, it was now slightly after 5am. I figured that bird had me pinned and might just stay up on the roost for a while, when I head him gobble just 20-30 yards from me. I started scratching in the leaves when I knew I was that close to him and he must have flown down and come right to the scratching. With no time to pull the decoy from my bag I quickly plopped down into a big patch of Japanese knotweed that had a great shooting lane. I gave him one short calling sequence and he sprinted at me. He was in full strut gobbling his brains out at 10 yards, but just behind some thick brush. I needed him to take 3 or 4 more steps and he'd have an arrow in him, but he knew right where that hen call came from and when he didn't see her he lost interest and continued on his way looking for love. I circled around him to cut him off, but I think he knew something was up at this point. No bird, but a super fun way to end the season.

22-May-18
Sounds like a great hunt! Glad you wrapped it up with a fun one HFSC!

22-May-18
Great hunt!

• Sitka Gear