Wild Bill 23-May-18
Will 23-May-18
notme 23-May-18
soapdish 23-May-18
GF 23-May-18
notme 24-May-18
soapdish 24-May-18
22-May-18
Danbury Newtown Brookfield storm damage like I have never seen in my life. Trees down everywhere- landscape changed forever - Trees that are centuries old destroyed- I'll upload pics later.

My new ladder stand survived great

22-May-18
Ya man it was gnarly..for some God foresaken reason i went to walmart in new milford after work..it hit just as i was walking out the door..HOLY SH@T !!!! Super 7 was blocked off and mass confusion...133 and 25 looked like war zones..it reminded me of that scene in band of brothers when the 88s opened up on the arden forest..it took me over 3hrs to get back to Danbury

22-May-18
Our road looked like the Ho Chi Minh trail. My wife had to park about a 3/4 mile away. I told her to stay put by the trail head and I would go through the nature preserve to get her- about .2 mile short cut.

I got half way in the woods and the trail was gone - and area unrecognizable. Hundreds of tall white pines toppled everywhere. I had to go back - neighborhood kids helped us navigate other sections of the area otherwise it would have been much worse

22-May-18
Was this yesterday or the storm last week??

22-May-18
last week

22-May-18

Richm444's embedded Photo

22-May-18
It was a crazy storm. Took me five hours to drive home from work, every road between my job and my home was closed.

22-May-18
It took my sister 5 1/2 hrs to go less than 10miles..exit 11 rt34 to shelton....i took a ride to Brookfield yesterday, its still bad but navigable

22-May-18

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Definitely a crazy storm. This is Southbury looking across the Housatonic towards Sandy Hook.

22-May-18
that is where I hunt- whole new landscape now

I went to pick up my camera yesterday and I did not see it anywhere- I wondered if it was stolen even though that would be very unlikely. Then I realized that the tree that I had it attached to had fallen over

22-May-18
I was in Brookfield center on Thursday the day after the storm. Route 25 was almost impassable. I must have seen 2 dozen plus telephone poles snapped.

22-May-18
Its gonna make for some hunting in a year or two..who ever hunts in those hit areas should go walk around a bit they changed a lot

23-May-18
My Big Sis is in New Ffld and I think she’s still without power.... not good when you’re on a well and the freezer is hanging on with just the insulation factor...

Holed their roof, too, when a big tree came down.

Hope everyone is doing OK...

Anyone heard from Wild Bill?

23-May-18
I just went back and looked and he hasn't posted in a while. I'm sure he's fine. He also might be really busy with the cleanup. If anybody has his cell maybe give him a call just to check up on him.

23-May-18

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Our storm damage was slight, but the sight was fearful to me, as I have never witnessed so strong a wind. I monitored the approach of the storm and thought I understood it's intensity. My plan was to take in a flag which is mounted at the front of my porch. It faces west and has been torn down from winds before. I was slightly slow to get there and the strong rain soaked me as I brought it in. I then joined my wife at the back door of the house and we were there when the strongest of gusts hit our house. The sound of the wind was a tremendous roar, and I thought to myself that the house was going to blow away. We saw several blue flashes of light and believed those were from power transformers failing or shorting, something we have seen before in a microburst that hit our street years ago. The worst lasted only a minute,or two, and maybe ten minutes later the rain was softly falling. We spotted a piece of the house trim hanging from the house and went outside to see better. Thank God, it was only a strip of aluminum trim, a couple of house roof shingles near the edge were torn away, the chimney cap was missing and my garage roof edge was torn up. As our eyes took in the scene we were surprised to find that a large forked trunk maple tree behind our house was torn and twisted apart. It always bothered us that the tree leaned towards our house and often wondered if it would reach and damage the house, should it fall. During the worst our power blinked a couple of times, but returned and never failed again. The following Monday the insurance inspector was here and will provide us an estimate of their obligation to pay for repairs. He wrote off the garage roof and will pay for a new replacement roof. He clearly recognized the volume of work and encouraged me that all will be fixed. Despite the anxiousness I feel, God is doing for me what I cannot do for myself.

The next day I found our chimney cap. It was a steel mesh with a broad flat top that was wedged into the chimney opening and secured by four adjustable bolts. The wind had lifted it up and out, then it traveled through the air for about eighty yards. It crashed into a wood fence, breaking a half-inch wood slat, then dropped where I found it. Putting it back in place should be one of the easier repairs, once somebody gets up there. My house has three floors above the foundation.

The insurance inspector was a hunter, and last season took a tremendous buck, which he is having mounted. He showed me the pictures and it truly is a trophy. A good story too.

23-May-18
Wow - I heard it was rough down there, but had no idea. Tornado or something? Glad you all are ok, and hope the clean up goes smoothly!

23-May-18
Will, I think the weather service confirmed 2 tornados from southbury to oxford, 1 in barkhemsted and 1 over the barkhemsted res..new milford and brookfield got hit with a macroburst...pretty wild stuff

23-May-18
I had a tornado hit my house back in 2013. If your house was hit, go through it with a fine tooth comb. You'd be surprised how things get messed up that may not be noticable to the naked eye. Like windows and doors not closing right because they got bowed out.

23-May-18
My sister’s up near Danbury; many big trees down, multiple holes in roof & ceiling, water damage, and a huge tree trunk in the back yard. She knows 3 people who’ve lost their whole houses...

This is turning into some serious stuff!

24-May-18
An act of God is what the insurance companies will say.. unless it falls on a structure...

a lady came into work telling us her story yesterday..said she has $28,000.00 in out of pocket damage.

24-May-18
Sounds like she needs a third party adjuster

• Sitka Gear