CaptMike 30-May-18
raspy old hen 31-May-18
albino 31-May-18
24-May-18

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Looks like perfect weather...for fishing

24-May-18
I was out bright and early yesterday morning (330am). I heard one gobbler and saw one hen. That was it for the day.

24-May-18
I can not hunt today.... was out yesterday,,,, saw 5 gobblers all on display, with about 6 hens at 8am. I was on my way of working in on them, when the local farm dog, came out, and they were off and running.........

Hunted a roost area last night. Had a hen come in, and saw a nice tom and hen, in the field, as I came in to set up..... the farmer was cutting hay, they did not like that, they were vocal and nervous, and they hit the trees early about 720pm, but again about 60 yards from me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Will try tomorrow am,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, man its hot, that is for sure, I have no idea why we are hunting this late, who ever set this up, sure does not hunt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

24-May-18
"I have no idea why we are hunting this late, who ever set this up, sure does not hunt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

It was yet another hair brained idea from our all knowing DNR. You were right, most of the pencil pushing bureaucrats don't know what hunting is.

24-May-18
Damn right Buckjabber - more important than any other hunt!

As it turned out that hunt saw ass high deep snow for the kids...maybe we should have moved that up a week - Really?

24-May-18
Buckjabber, aka Joe Dirt from Saskatchewan states, “God forbid we disrupt the youth hunt. “ -Good stuff, man. There’s more than enough opportunity to shoot a turkey available to anyone in Wisconsin.

25-May-18
Just goes to show what selfishness really is. God forbid we disrupt adults for the youth to get involved.

25-May-18
I have no issue with the youth hunts, never did,,,,,, they had the seasons right, I was surprised they changed them,,,, anyway, good thing I do not hunt out of a blind, going to be in the 90's this weekend,,,,,,,

I always thought the heat bothered them, that they would stay by the darker woods, but was surprised to see birds yesterday, in the fields, during the hottest part of the day could not hunt yesterday or today, but will be out early tomorrow.......

I know where a spring is at, might go there, they have to water somewhere.....

25-May-18
So you want the mentors to give up their hunt to help with the youth hunt? You must not be a mentor.

25-May-18
I still take kids in the regular season as well. 4th period I gave up my only day left to hunt to take a 12 year old who wasn't seeing anything with his Grandfather.

Bad news - I screwed up the hunt. 4:30 PM and 2 Gobblers came to decoys and they caught me move! BUSTED!

Blew the opportunity. He cemented a spot for next year!

Nothing better than our youth in the woods!

Remember boys in the blind - "Back to black"

25-May-18
Sunday I am taking a guys son, who is 14 using a shotgun,,,,, no sitting around for us, we are going after them, using my umbrella technique,,,,, works well for a gun, not so much for a stick bow,,,, (have to figure that out) plus he will have a lot of fun..... told him too bring some gator aide, and fresh legs,,,,,

25-May-18
Who ever said anyone had to give up their hunt? There is plenty time for all to get a bird. And yes I am a mentor for two of my grandkds. GH, I know you dont have a problem with the youth hunts,,good luck to you.

25-May-18
Oh the irony. I love it.

25-May-18
I have no problem with the youth hunt. That said I don't think any of the youth hunts are really necessary for recruiting and retaining young hunters.

25-May-18
I also don't think it is necessary for recruiting or retaining, but I think it is neat that there is a time frame for them. They can talk to their piers at school about it before and after that time frame and compare stories. I think they enjoy that. I am about the last person on earth to "coddle" a kid over hunting or anything else for that matter. I am also one that tries to put others success before mine no matter what age, my success is measured by the fun others have. I have plenty of time to enjoy my hunts when others are not around.

26-May-18
Man its hot..... turkeys do not seem to mind though, they were out,,,, we had them, till the farm trucks hit the field,,,,, young guy tomorrow wants to go to the beach, with his friends, I told him I do not blame him, it is hot......

I said to him, does the snow and cold bother you, he said heck no, rather hunt in that,,,,,,, He said, why don't they open the season down here earlier, usually you could hunt in late March down here,,,,, I said I have no idea,,,,,, I always thought the north and south would have had different dates, but they never did go that way,,,,,,

if they want to hunt this late, why not just add a 7th season,,,,,, I am going to try tonight

26-May-18
How was the gobbling for those that went out? I might go out in the next 2 days, probably just for the 1st 2 hours or so

26-May-18
So hot. Didn't hear or see anything. I would much prefer ice and snow to this.

26-May-18
It was warm on the Wednesday season F opener, but birds were gobbling all day, and of course, they come by when the hens leave them to lay. Shot my 3rd Tom at 2 pm. Season E was at 11 am. These birds are far more predictable than early season birds, but you have to change tactics. Hunting mornings is something you have to do, but the birds don't show up until after 10. Been that way forever for me.

26-May-18
Buckjabber, I like your idea of letting youth hunters hunt any season. School and bad weather is not such a limiting factor.

26-May-18
Backjabber sez:

"Obviously at the lack of hunter recruitment, it is proof that the youth hunts do not work, period."

Really?

And all this time, I thought it was because of technology and the fact we live in a different time and different world.

I thought perhaps the "instant gratification" mind set brought on by our video age and social media, was contributing to the decline -

Then I thought, maybe it's the availability to accessible quality hunting lands...

Imagine my surprise -

But DAMN - it was the YOUTH HUNTS!

Really?

The youth hunt has absolutely nothing to do with "coddling" and everything to do with making outdoor family memories, focusing on youth and hunting!!

Secondly, the "Youth Hunt" was NEVER designed to simply recruit new hunters to the turkey woods. We would "hope" it helps, but it is far from the sole reason for the hunt! If it brings a few newbies aboard, hey...GREAT!!

It is designed to provide a "unique" opportunity to not only the youths, but Dad's, Mom's and even Grandparents and all mentors! (A). Gives youth the "first shot" at uneducated - undisturbed turkeys, and (B). Too set aside a time period that focuses solely on the youth, families, friends and turkeys!

But there will always be those selfish people that believe no one, even children should have a "special opportunity" that they don't get. The love to cry "foul"...

Your "jab" at Dad giving up his "time" to hunt is garbage. Any parent or mentor worth their salt focuses on getting that child their first turkey or a turkey period.

Many here on BOWSITE, hunt with our youth, ask them if they use the "Youth Season" so they don't have to take a daughter or son during the regular season - Such foolishness.

We in Wisconsin are very fortunate to enjoy a very lengthy turkey season.

Some folks would complain if they were hung with a new rope....

27-May-18
In the woods right now with my 16 year old daughter. Hot, buggy, and no gobbles so far at 5:55 am.

27-May-18
BJ, or anyone else that was effected by the youth hunt, could maybe enlighten me to how it so drastically effected your season. I a m not a turkey hunter so maybe I am missing something. I did mentor my 15 yr old grandson but I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to calling. I told him if he hunted he would have to do the calling,with, you tube he learned a little bit. We seen birds but had no luck. I guess I am trying to understand how your season was effected. The weather this week was hot, but living in wisconsin it could have been 40 degrees, could of had 40 mile an hour winds, could have had rain all week. I dont turkey hunt nor does his dad, so it wasnt because dad lost time from his season. I would only like to hear the reasons it effected your seasons.

27-May-18
I didnt ask for your political beliefs, or what it accomplishes. I simply asked to be enlightened on how it effects peoples hunt. I see it doesnt effect yours. Thanks for the reply.

27-May-18
Backjabber - It gives the kids the first "kick at the cat" hunting un-educated and un-hunted birds, no pressure birds. - THATS the main reason we have it then!!

Why do you think so many hunters apply for 1st period (A) - they want first kick!

That (this), mind set is changing slightly however as many folks are now realizing how miserable 1st period can be. 2nd and 3rd period(s) (B-C), are often more comfortable.

"Coddle" the turkey youth hunters? More often than not, during the youth hunts, we are dressed in deer hunting garb - heavy clothing and a portable heater! Yeah - were coddling them all right!

Kids hunting the youth hunt can be some tough troopers! Most times, they have to be!

28-May-18
BT I agree, but they should have left the seasons alone,,,,,, as for my season it is over with,,,, there short of manpower for the holiday weekend, so I am helping out,,,,,,, the wardens are all in the state parks, ,,........... Tuesday I have Special Olympics........

it was a good season, tough for me with the bow, but no shortage of birds,,,, I learned something, when hunting the heat, them birds will roost earlier, at least they did in my spots, and as long as the farmers are spreading the fields, the are out and feeding,,, but they were very very spooky, again, that is pressure......

could have shot a few with the gun, but those days are long over for me,,,, I have never killed one with my long bow, but there is always the fall, and plenty of tags,,,,,

congrats on all that scored, it was a fun season, as always,,,,, what is not fun, about chasing turkeys

28-May-18
Portable Heater? Why wouldn't you use one.... I am sure they are used by thousands of adults,,,, come on, that is a reach,,,,,,, Have you ever bowhunted Canada, they are a life saver

28-May-18
You’d certainly think a guy from Saskatchewan would have a clue! Oh wait, it’s just another guy hiding behind a false name/location. Let me guess, you’d have gotten a turkey if it weren’t for those darn meddling kids?!

Don’t be so quick to toss the coddling banter out. I know a bunch of kids who’ve got more grit than a lot of the so called master (adult) hunters.

I don’t see an ounce of negative impact on the youth or mentored hunts v the regular season. My thoughts are that if either hunt has any positive impact keep them going. I’ve seen plenty of good and will keep endorsing.

29-May-18
Period F turned out to into fantastic Saturday for me. All year long I had been on a quest to get my first bird with traditional equipment. It has been a lesson in patience. I have had numerous opportunities for modern compound or shotgun. Birds just holding on the fringe of my comfortable range. We did have, first season, a nice Tom at under 10 yards. It was my sons first archery kill. So anyhow, Saturday with birds active all morning and into the afternoon, I was fortunate enough to harvest, not only my first Tom with my recurve, I was able to arrow two. It was a great afternoon.

29-May-18

sharpspur@home's embedded Photo

29-May-18
Nicely done! What make recurve?

29-May-18
64" Stalker Stickbow. Had it made for my long draw, 50 at 31"

29-May-18

29-May-18
nice,,,,,,, where?

29-May-18
Very nice... congrats.

30-May-18
BT, backstabber had no sense when he was neverbait. Don't expect that to change simply because he changed his name and became a Canadian. LOL!

31-May-18
Poults finally showing up in the hayfields. Maybe 4 or 5 with mother hen. I use to see 8 or 10 or 12 poults in a group. These were probably from 2nd or 3rd nesting events as the heavy rains and snows killed off their first nesting tries. This is in Calumet County. Anyone else seeing turkey poults around?

31-May-18
Congrats on the Trad birds. I had a very slow last 2 seasons. I did get 3 in earlier seasons so I can't complain. Still no kills in Jefferson County since I moved here. I have not seen any poults. I hope some renesting got done here. Most nesting areas were flooded along with farm fields. There was a pretty small window to get the crops in & the hay has already been cut. I'm pretty sure the Coyotes got through.

• Sitka Gear