huntskifishcook 27-May-18
Come november 27-May-18
Come november 27-May-18
Moons22 28-May-18
Come november 28-May-18
24-May-18

huntskifishcook's Link

25-May-18
Very cool, I love seeing actual movement mapped out. So much we rely on as hunters is speculation but this puts more concrete data to it. Crazy how well defined the home ranges are for bucks. They almost never stray from them 95% of the year.

25-May-18
So now think about how intimately they know them and how something out of place occurs and how little they tolerate.................

25-May-18
Don't like how nocturnal he was,.. dang!

25-May-18
Ok, so a buck that will not move during shooting light needs to be bumped out of bed. Right? Of course, that blows the whole sneaky thing we like to do but it seems that they just mostly move around and return when the threat is past. Maybe group bow - stalking/pushing is the best way to kill that buck. (Everyone in orange ) I tried it with a friend and had good results/opportunities more times than not. A few more people could get those stubborn bucks moving and enhance the chance. Yu think ?

25-May-18
Love those studies - very cool...

I know some guys who do archery drives successfully in CT every year. I've never tried, but, for the most part I'm just not a drive guy. Just not my favorite thing, personally.

It may work... The other challenge there, is how diverse that deer's movement was. He was in that general area, but it doesnt look like there was a real clean "path" so to speak...

26-May-18
When I hunted with a group of friends before. We would do drives during bow season. There were 3-4 areas that we had preset stands for years in and would place shooters in them. The chosen few would sit while the others would slowly and I mean slowly walk through the woods in a preset pattern and this would bump the deer through the funnel areas to the shooters. It almost wasn’t a drive but a push of the area.

We would often times find the deer would double back after a bit and get to the sides of the walkers and then eventually behind them. It is not a very high opportunity hunt but something different and a good way to get deer out of the thick nasty stuff

27-May-18
MA collared and tracked deer here in Western MA years ago, never heard a word about the results. Saw 1 of the collared bucks a guys shot in Chesterfield during shotgun season. Best part was the EPOs knew nothing about it when we called them from the check station.

27-May-18
Xi. Umass did a study in my area, and they were thrilled that I was interested. One phone call, and they sent me a copy of the report. I ended up taking 2 collared bucks, and one doe. When I called the doe in, they thought I was playing a prank or something. They told me the study was long over, no more reward money?? What I found out was that doe was 13 years old! They were shocked when I told them she had teeth, a full belly, and a buck tending her. Cool to see travel patterns in your home turf though. Give them a shout. If it was a state study, you will probably have to pay for the copy. Good luck

27-May-18
thats kinda amazing

27-May-18
You have to study the data very carefully, but in each of these deer movement studies (Pennsylvania, Illinois, you name it), all of the deer are constantly moving just slightly closer to Moons.

27-May-18
I posted a link of the study on here last year. The deer survived pretty well during the hunting seasons. As I recall their were a few areas in western MA and Miles Standish in eastern MA. Come November how does a 13 year old doe taste?

27-May-18
Jeb. Moons went to school for computer hacking and has the tracking codes. Wouldn't that help a bit...

27-May-18
Haha, that hilarious Jeb.

Comenovember, a 13 year old doe is incredible. Can't imagine she was the most delicious deer you ever ate.

27-May-18

Come november's embedded Photo
Come november's embedded Photo
Yes, that was a good eating deer. I found a picture.

27-May-18
Another interesting part of that study was the level of poaching. The guy was telling me if the deer doesn’t move in 48 hours, they check it out. One collar was buried next to a gut pile, close to the road.

28-May-18
Hahaha funny jeb. CN that's awesome! Did you return the collars or did you keep them?

28-May-18
Nah moons, they take the collars when you tag the deer.

• Sitka Gear