DeanMan 29-May-18
Moons22 29-May-18
Tekoa 29-May-18
fisherick 29-May-18
Tekoa 29-May-18
27-May-18

Tekoa's embedded Photo
Tekoa's embedded Photo
First attempt at making a primitive style arrow. Viburnum shoot, wild turkey fletching, self-nock reinforced with deer sinew. Not 100% primitive since I did fletch using using glue and my fletching jig. Being my first attempt at turning a branch into an arrow I wanted to eliminate the fetching variables and at least know if the shaft would fly well. Using a stone scraper I was able to work it down to where it spined the same as my cedars and it did fly well. 15 yard shot. Tekoa

27-May-18
Nice!

27-May-18
Great looking arrow you made, will be extra special when you harvest with it. A buddy of mine made for me 6 cedar arrows with self nocks and turkey feathers he made from a turkey he killed. They fly just as good as my carbons. I am planning to make some arrows the same way.

28-May-18
Very nice Tekoa. I did the opposite and bought some. A guy on Leatherwall was putting shooting on hold and I got a killer deal. 30 arrows for $75! You still beat me with the cost though. Hope you bag one with it!

29-May-18
That's awesome!

29-May-18
Tekoa!!! Awesome work and inspiring.

29-May-18
Looks like it sunk into the target pretty deep too! Nice!

29-May-18
Very cool

29-May-18
Tekoa did you make that great looking long bow also? What are the specs?

29-May-18
Tekoa, you are freaking Awesome! Well done sir well done.

29-May-18
Tekoa, you are freaking Awesome! Well done sir well done.

29-May-18
Impressive !

29-May-18
Fisherick,

I wish I could say that I made the bow. I bought it on eBay a few years ago. $35 I kid you not. 50lb @ 28". I did stain, seal and apply the handle wrap. The person selling had a bunch for sale and I think that similar ones are still for sale and still very reasonable. I assume it started as a hickory board rather than a rough stave. Thanks for the comments Tekoa

29-May-18
Tekoa, I made a hickory board bow last spring that was a very fulfilling experience. I hunted with it and cedar arrows for the first 3 weeks of the season. I did not harvest anything with it and switched back to my Bob Lee recurve bow for the rest of the season. I am thinking of building a bamboo backed hickory bow for this up coming season. This self bow building is addictive.

I don't know how this ebay guy makes any money doing that, must be a labor of love.

29-May-18
Don't know if it is the same guy but I just checked and there is an unfinished hickory self bow. 45 lb for $38. Looks like what I bought. Seems crazy but I guess if you make enough and use the power tools as much as possible it almost becomes a routine Tekoa

• Sitka Gear