Per48R 07-Jun-18
Hoot 07-Jun-18
browne 09-Jun-18
upnorth 10-Jun-18
BCD 11-Jun-18
Two Feathers 12-Jun-18
Tweed 12-Jun-18
05-Jun-18
I'm driving along the HWY system this evening and I noticed the messege on those alert signs say, "DONT VEER FOR DEER"

I think that's a little too overly simplistic. Like you ahould just plow right into them?....its probably just a ploy by the WDNR to reduce the whitetail population.

05-Jun-18
Actually that is correct. Stay straight and break hard. More people are killed trying to avoid hitting the deer than doing the above.

I have always done the above and have yet to hit a deer. Close calls yes. Had a buck hit me and ran off but that’s it.

06-Jun-18
Yep. Never leave your lane.

06-Jun-18
I saw one of these messages for the first time yesterday on Hwy. 151 between Sun Prairie and Madison, the southbound lane there is four lanes wide. It was on an electronic message board and surprised me. I have never seen a deer anywhere close to that area. A buddy of mine is a trucker, he says, "Yep keep her straight between the ditches." He's never hit a deer.

06-Jun-18
I always told my daughter, drive right thru em, do not veer, you can always fix the car,,,,,

My wife has not hit one in a long time, but at one time she was on a roll, hitting 5 in a 3 year period..........

When I was a street officer, saw lots of bad accidents, people would try to avoid a squirrel, and bad things happened, that sign is good advice

06-Jun-18
Lol I meant this post more of a joke about the DNR or people not having sense enough to hit the brakes.

I've seen plenty of close calls from people trying to miss a squirrel or cat.

06-Jun-18
I've seen people without the sense to brake and slow down, more than just a few.

06-Jun-18
I worry less about the deer than I do the guy/gal who is driving 5' behind me in deer country (which is almost all of MN/WI).

06-Jun-18
I have followed the "drive straight" and managed to take out 2 bucks in the last 6 years within 1/2 mile of each other on the 53 Eau Claire bypass. Both between Nov 1-8, the only time I see deer cross. Beware area between "North Crossing" and "Melby" come Oct. Both were at night with little warning before they centered my headlights. My truck with a bar in front handled it pretty well but my car took a $7000 hit.

06-Jun-18
Blackwolf, I've seen bear trying to cross there also. One was hit one year.

06-Jun-18
On the way home from Trout fishing Tues nite a large Buck ran out of the woods right in front of me. I VEERED & braked to miss him .

Typical of the govt to treat us like idiots .

07-Jun-18
You probably know how to drive Ruger, able to make that snap judgement to veer with awareness to your surroundings, in which case veering worked out for you, but if you take the driving community as a whole (which let's be honest...most can't drive for sh!t) the better response is to drive straight and apply the brakes. Granny could veer right into oncoming traffic, teenagers could veer and roll the damn car, and anybody on their phone or fiddling around with the radio at the time could veer and cause a worse situation than schmucking the dang deer. To say Never Veer is the right thing to do ALL THE TIME is disingenuous, but in most cases it is the safer reaction.

07-Jun-18
I have hit a few deer in 40 years. I break hard then let off the brakes to let the truck nose up just before impacting (if I impact) the deer. I want bumper damage, not radiator, hood and windshield damage. Very few people will follow any instructions when in that emergency situation. So anything info they may remember needs to be extremely simple.

07-Jun-18
My nephew veered to hit a deer when he was 18 years old. He was killed when his truck wrecked. I've never hit a deer -- yet, but I've come close, but never veered.

09-Jun-18
Years ago I had state patrol motorcycle personnel say hit the deer straight on to avoid something worse on your bike. Got to be tough to do when you think you can avoid them. I have avoided collisions with deer by just braking.

10-Jun-18
We have hit four over the years two with a truck and two with the corvette . Most damage was on the vette when my wife tried to miss it and put the car 150 feet back in a marshy area .

11-Jun-18
the very first deer I ever hit, it jumped up out of a steep ditch, never saw it before it hit the road. I veered in the direction it was running and I smoked it dead center in the grill. Now I always veer toward them and haven't hit one for years. I have actually had more of them run into me than me run into them. just last week there was a doe running parallel to me on someones lawn. I never slowed down, just as I got ahead of her she turned for the road and I watched her nose miss the back quarter panel by inches as she ran across the road.

12-Jun-18
There were people (me included) veering all over a 4 lane to miss a mama duck and her clutch. My money says the ducks didn't make it across.

12-Jun-18
You old softy

• Sitka Gear