DR 08-Jun-18
grizzly 09-Jun-18
grizzly 24-Jun-18
DR 24-Jun-18
grizzly 12-Jul-18
DR 13-Jul-18
grizzly 13-Jul-18
08-Jun-18
There is currently a proposal in front of the commission to allow elk hunters to shoot mechanical broadheads out of 40 pound bows for elk. Anyone else think this is a terrible idea? Did GFP consult with SDBI on these topics before the proposal was brought forward? Other rule changes would allow arrows less than 275 grains, allow the new range finding sights, etc.

08-Jun-18
bad idea.

08-Jun-18
Edited my first post to align with the actual proposal, it was a little unclear listening in compared to the actual written version.

08-Jun-18
Not quite as bad but... 'Results' could negatively impact bowhunting.

08-Jun-18
Brotsky, they have been consulting with us (President) the last month. We will be going over the proposed items on Sunday at our board meeting. Yes, VERY bad ideas IMO.

08-Jun-18
Thanks DR, hopefully you guys can talk some sense into them. I think their heart is in the right place simplifying things but it appears there is a lack of knowledge on what the results would be.

08-Jun-18
is it possible that we could see the names of whom is proposing all of these wonderful changes. I would like to start giving credit where it is due. Are these commission members who are proposing items, departmental staff ? Is it all grass roots movement ? Every stinking time I hear of a future proposal, its seems to turn into reality. I cant help but wonder if someone has an agenda.

08-Jun-18
Grizzly, it's a combination of all. If there is a citizens actual proposal it's supposed to have their name and information attached (like the recent Elk Landowner proposal and the Public Land snaring ban proposal). I do know the department does take a lot of input from public comments and e-mail and the staff and commission often propose things of course. I have some of the information regarding the staff's e-mail request on the equipment proposals but I don't have it memorized and don't want to speculate without re-reading it.

09-Jun-18
Are any of the commissioners bow hunters?

I don't think they understand the dynamics of arrows and broadheads.

Allowing mechanical heads on low poundage bows is not a wise idea.

Using too light of an arrow is not a wise idea.

Allowing the archers their own personal preference for their equipment sounds like a prelude to crossbows.

Do they allow firearm hunters to choose their own personal preference for calibers, energy at muzzle ? No

I understand the difficulty in determining let off on compounds. Arrow length and bow weight are not that difficult to determine.

Do they want people to wound more animals by letting them use long distance range finders and light arrows ?

DId they have the discussion yet on eliminating Bowhunter education requirements? Would they do the same for Basic Hunter Safety as that information is easily available on line?

24-Jun-18
DR, did the SDBI come up with a position on these ? I have submitted my thoughts on these changes to the commission and I hope other do as well. I recommended a 50 lb. minimum for mechanicals regardless of the species. I take issue with the electronic gear as well. Most of the other items I can handle. I thought there was a regulation prohibiting electronic scopes on rifles but I could not find it in the 2017 hunting guide.

24-Jun-18
Grizzly, from memory... - Electronic mounted device on bows (sights with range finder). opposed. - Let off restrictions removed (currently 80%). opposed. - 28” axle to axle, now being measured cam tip to cam bottom. The board decided to go along with the GFP; we don’t like it but feel it’s a losing battle with all bow manufacturers going to shorter and shorter models. - Telescopic sights. opposed. - Arrows 26” and less – Discussion and research on P&Y stance. P&Y standard is 20” or more. advocate GFP uses the 20” minimum standard. Motion passed. - Arrow weight less than 275 grains when hunting “Big Game” – opposed. - Allow the use of bows 40# and less for elk with any broadhead – opposed.

12-Jul-18
Looks like all the changes were passed today. Now I can get mechanicals that fly well out of my 30 pound recurve with 20" lightweight arrows and go hunt deer. Yeah, that should work.

13-Jul-18
Grizzly, we successfully lobbied to amend and remove the "telescoping sights" and "bow mounted electronic sights/range finders". Really tried to convince them about the 40# low KE arrow weights and mechanicals for elk but lost that argument.

13-Jul-18
Some of the information they put out is a little misleading. Or my comprehension skills need a little work. After listening to an hour of audio, it is clearer. Does this mean I have to take my Garmin sight back ? JK, don't have one. Thanks for taking the time to attend and help sway them. I'm a bit of a blurter and would probably end up getting removed from the meeting!

• Sitka Gear