DanaC 17-Jun-18
Jebediah 17-Jun-18
TT-Pi 17-Jun-18
Moons22 18-Jun-18
BruceP 19-Jun-18
10-Jun-18

brooktrout59's embedded Photo
brooktrout59's embedded Photo
Anybody else have this problem- birds love my Reinhardt!

10-Jun-18
I’ve had two birds make nests in the legs of mine

10-Jun-18
Woodpecker !!!! Had it happen to me and a friend of mine. They burrowed a hole all the way to the pull out insert and made a nest

10-Jun-18
CWD...

11-Jun-18
They live in the neck on mine. The birds steals all of my white goats hair, kind of funny I have a furry necked target.

11-Jun-18
Truth : A small mouse set up home in the heart-lung area. I didn't think to check it. The first shot of the season ended his small existence. I wish I could say I was aiming for him but that would be stretching the truth. I just hit the well-worn hole and he was there.

11-Jun-18
Jeb for the win!....truly transmissible SPONGiform encephalopathy...lol

14-Jun-18
They made a nest in the neck of mine also

14-Jun-18
Funny woodpecker story. I was jigging the fish pier at the canal and overheard some guy talking. He was pissed saying how he has had to kill like 3 woodpeckers that were "eating his house". I go hey idiot, instead of killing the woodpeckers why don't you thank them? He looks at me all confused. They aren't eating your house you idiot!! You got a bug problem!

14-Jun-18
Yep,.. ignorance is rampant,..

I saw that on my own place and it was carpenter ant nest way up near the roof eve. And that told me there was water infiltration and rot. All taken care of now!

15-Jun-18
Woodpeckers usually hammer on houses for one of four reasons:

1; Because it makes a satisfyingly loud noise that proclaims the bird’s territory and attracts a mate. If the birds are drumming for these reasons, they will most likely stop once breeding has begun in the spring (they don’t drum when looking for food).

2; Because the bird wants to excavate a nest or roost hole. If the woodpeckers are creating a nest cavity, the hole will be round and large. Nesting holes are usually built in the beginning of the breeding season between late April and May. If you need to evict woodpeckers from your home, aim to do so either before or after the nesting season.

3; Because it is feeding on insects living in the siding. If the birds are looking for insects, the holes will be small and irregular. You may have to call an exterminator to get rid of the underlying insect problem. Woodpeckers are particularly fond of the larvae of carpenter bees, leafcutter bees, and grass bagworms. .

4; Because they are storing food. If you are located in the West, Acorn Woodpeckers peck dozens or hundreds of acorn-sized holes into large trees or houses, and stash a single fresh acorn into each one.

15-Jun-18

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/6vbf2h-etiI

17-Jun-18
We've had bears totally destroy a target. Squirrels, especially reds, will chew on all kinds of things. Porkies too.

17-Jun-18
Pi we make maple syrup, and on occasion in the past I’ve found that a squirrel (I’ve assumed) has stashed a small acorn (or some other small nut) in an empty tap hole from the previous spring. Fascinating. It looks like it would be straightforward to shove the acorn in the hole, but much more difficult to get it out.

17-Jun-18
Jeb . I recently read that some kind of "Western" Woodpecker will stuff a nut in a hole as such. Not likely that they are the kind we have.

I'm guessing that the critter will be thinking the same thing ... How to get this out? or maybe its one of those anti -syrup squirrels just messing with your setup. Squirrelly bastards. Fascinating world. Seriously though, I followed the syrup thread with envy. Great stuff.

PS. It has taken great restraint to not make a joke about nuts and holes and such. In fact, I erased my first draft. I'm trying to behave.

18-Jun-18
Very good self control pi!

19-Jun-18
Good for you Pi on trying to behave. We'll see how long it lasts ;-)

• Sitka Gear