ground hunter 16-Jun-18
MF 17-Jun-18
HunterR 17-Jun-18
Per48R 17-Jun-18
ground hunter 17-Jun-18
retro 17-Jun-18
rallison 17-Jun-18
11-Jun-18
Let’s get a change of pace going! What are some you your tricks of your trade? What do you focus on when preparing to shoot? Things you visualize while practicing or in a hunt? Simple things that help a newbie, or an experienced hunter. One thing I know that people don’t focus on enough is shot angle, especially a new hunter. Bow hunters should practice a lot at quartering away and quartering to shots, and take special note where the arrow will exit, despite where it enters. A shot may look dead on from the front, but miss the boiler room completely.

What do you guys work on? I would like some advice on breathing while shooting if anyone has any.

What say you?!

11-Jun-18
Most practice shooting on ground level but its very important to practice in a tree stand as if you were hunting, also practice shooting in a sitting position if you don't already.

11-Jun-18
I focus on shot angle on every shot. I do not shoot quartering to or straight on. I don't need a critter that bad. I look at the critter as a cardboard target rather than a monster buck that I want bad. I also try to figure where the arrow will exit & where it will be if it passes through. If I have time I take one deep cleansing breath. I pick a spot & lock on to it. Timing is everything. Don't rush it. Aim small, miss small. Shoot then piss yourself. Not before.

12-Jun-18
Lately I have been trying to shoot with an elevated heart rate. Doing sets of air squats or push ups, then shooting a group of three. I have not noticed anything when shooting at a target, but I hope it pays off this fall.

12-Jun-18
I always try and envision the path of the arrow as it goes through the animal. Even rather small angles, horizontal or vertically, can be the difference between the arrow going through or missing vitals. Once I have determined it is an animal I want to kill, all my focus is on my aiming point.

12-Jun-18
I have found that the time of the draw is a key consideration. When I shot recurve I had maybe needed a second less time to release but not always as I get my pin on the deer at point way faster than when target shooting. I can quickly visualize the path through the deer so I am more concerned as to when the deer is going to be in a shooting position and then when is the best time to draw. I want to visualize where the target is going to go and how fast so I am ready at the first good opportunity. I do not want the target deer seeing me draw (has happened) nor do I want peripheral deer spotting me. Position and timing probably not an issue over bait.

12-Jun-18
One thing that has helped me prepare for an adrenaline shot is sprinting 20-30 yards away and then back while holding my breath. Raises my heart rate and fatiguing my strength overall.

2nd for me has been shooting a hinge release. Helps me focus on aiming.

During the hunting season. I think most people stop practicing and focus more on hunting. I've been guilty of this a whole bunch of times. It's more important to stay sharp during the season.

12-Jun-18
I agree Glunker. Correct drawing back with my recurve is what I try to get precise with. There have been some on here who say they have never been busted drawing. That is difficult for me to believe. Not saying it isn't true but even when I shot a compound finding the right time to draw back is key.

12-Jun-18
Foot placement on the treestand to anticipate the coming shot. Feet in the wrong position and you risk a slight noise when moving and the game is over. Something to be aware of.

12-Jun-18
I have shot the majority of my deer from a sitting position. I find it to be less moving around in the stand and shooting while seated is quite easy. If you must stand to shoot or are standing already. Remember to bend at the waist, so many people forget this.

12-Jun-18
Tip # 7 . When praticing draw the bow , shoot at your target , a Deer chest area instead of a dot, lay the bow down . Walk away for a minute , pick up the bow & shoot again .

12-Jun-18
I’d add this as a point in shooting... Make the first shot count! We all love shooting, myself included, but shooting several arrows and getting the grouping that is perfect a half dozen arrows into it is nice, but truth be told, we don’t get a half dozen warmups in November. Get yourself into the mindset to make that first practice shot “the shot”. Put yourself into that mindset every first shot.

13-Jun-18
Shooting instinctive recurve now, I like to be warmed up on my shot. Before I go out for the morning hunt I set a target up in the driveway light and shoot a few quick rounds so mentally and physically I'm ready for the shot on an animal. Evening hunts are better as I stump shoot my way in.

13-Jun-18
I think another very important point when practicing, wear the same outfit that you plan on hunting in. During colder weather when you bulk up things can happen!

13-Jun-18
When taking a hunting shot, form above the waist is important. I do all adjusting at or below the waist. If you keep your feet close together, you can twist further then when your feet are apart. So my form check is pretty much only are my arms and shoulders in line, am I anchored, release. So I practice shooting with my feet pointed in wrong directions. I get a lot of weird looks from others who are using Olympic archery form. I even practice sitting on the ground.

13-Jun-18
Another one I see burn a lot of people. Not taking the first good shot they have. Say you have a target animal broadside and calm in a shooting lane at 30 yards. But you are sure he will stroll into 15 yards, that doesn't always happen. Take that first good shot. Just because the 4 does and 3 young bucks you let walk followed a certain trail. That doesn't mean that mature buck will.

13-Jun-18
2 things that really helped me personally. 1.) A kisser button. Something about having that as another anchor at high stress times while hunting helps me greatly to pretty much always make a good clean kill. I know not everyone likes a kisser but in my mind at the critical moment on a big buck, it's priceless.

2.) Convincing my own mind that failure is not even possible. When I see a deer I want to shoot, I just start thinking that you better stay away deer or you are going home in my truck. I never let the thought of failure enter my mind. Power of positive thinking sure works on my weak little brain.

14-Jun-18
Great tips guys

16-Jun-18
Psycho Cybernetics .

I started praticing cybernetics in the 70's & 80's before ASA & USSSA softball tournaments .

I started doing the same for Bowhunting & archery competition . Every nite at bed time you visualize aiming & firing the perfect arrow syep by step . Over & over . IT WORKS !!!

16-Jun-18
Shooting a bow is not very hard, within 20 yards,,,, Killing is in your head,,,,, Put the arrow in the mark, do not have to over think it

17-Jun-18
Psycho Cybernetics..... I do that for basketball.... visualize the ball going in the hoop before you shoot. Pro-ball players also have done this.

17-Jun-18
One thing I do which might seem a bit odd but really helps is that I have the wife (or one of the kids) stand about 10 feet to the side while I'm shooting and spray me in the face with the garden hose just so I'm prepared in case a thunderstorm rolls in while I'm out bowhunting and I need to drop the string on a shooter. Preparation is the name of the game.

17-Jun-18
Many years ago. I started to develop a problem of dropping the bow arm at release. I couldn't work past it. Took my brother out to the range one day. Wore shorts. Gave him a stick. Told him to slap my leg with it if I dropped my bow arm. Two slaps later, the problem was fixed.

17-Jun-18
good lord,,,,,, you guys have to be kidding me,,,, come on,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it is funny though

17-Jun-18
Psycho Cybernetics..... LOL! If your day needs a good laugh, this site never disappoints....

17-Jun-18
I shoot and hunt with a longbow...have for decades. I've pretty much hunted (in Wisconsin) the same properties through those decades, so there's really few surprises.

But something I've always done, especially when treestand hunting, is to thoroughly survey my surroundings, possible shot locations, etc. long before any critter is sighted. I pick my max yardage and preferred yardage locales well in advance to minimize decisions in crunch time. May sound foolish, but it serves two purposes: 1) to be a good little boy scout & be prepared, and 2) to eliminate boredom on an all day sit ;^)

But, it's paid dividends for years, especially with my aiming system as a gap shooter. Kind like I told my baseball players...don't wait til the ball is hit to figure out what to do. You've plenty of time before the pitch is made to weigh your options and situations.

• Sitka Gear