Contributors to this thread:
Dusktildawn 13-Jun-18
Drop Tine 13-Jun-18
Rutnrod1995 13-Jun-18
Per48R 13-Jun-18
Jeff in MN 14-Jun-18
Dusktildawn 15-Jun-18
13-Jun-18
Looking for any feedback on handheld GPS that anybody has been using with great results. Looking to upgrade to a better unit and am really not into electronic gadgets, however some spots I hunt can be tricky to locate under nightfall and help while tracking deer. Also have they been reliable in bad weather conditions.aka. dense cloud cover and thick forest. Thanks in advance

13-Jun-18
I have the Gamin Astro 320 that I use for tracking hounds. It’s the same unit as the Garmin 64S or 64ST that don’t track.

I like the buttons over the touch screen as you can use it without taking your gloves off. I have ran the Astro in all kinds of conditions and under heavy canopy in July -Sept. and satellite connectivity has not been an issue. Battery life is decent. There is a learning curve to using it. But the baisics are quite easy to master.

If you want a touch screen I can’t help you with those. Had one for a day. Used it around the house for a day to try it out and sent it back.

13-Jun-18
I use the Garmin 64st. It works very well.

13-Jun-18
I also use the Garmin 64. Runs through batteries faster then my Garmin 20. I also like buttons, since I ware gloves when hunting. Batteries last a LOT longer if you keep the device off most of the time. If you out trekking, keep the screen on a menu that doesn't change. LCD screens use power when changing (like updating position on a map) but much less when on a static image.

14-Jun-18
Get the biggest screen you can afford.

Mine is a Gamin Montana 680. It has a camera in it but the camera sucks, slow shutter so it is hard to get a good picture. The camera is not worth the extra cost unless they have improved it in the last 2 years. However, I love my 680 in spite of the poor camera. The way bigger screen than my old garmin had is awsome and I love the touch screen, the little buttons on my older garmin sucked, hard to manipulate and forget using the buttons on my old one with gloves on it too. Another feature to look for that the 680 has is that you can use the rechargeable battery or if that dies in the field you can pop in AA's.

I have not used my new one when below around 10 degrees so I can't speak to that aspect of it.

15-Jun-18
Thanks for the feedback

• Sitka Gear