Contributors to this thread:
bigsevig 19-Jun-18
mboudreau 19-Jun-18
Proline 19-Jun-18
spike78 19-Jun-18
Belchertown Bowman 19-Jun-18
TT-Pi 19-Jun-18
19-Jun-18
i have noticed a decline this season of the winter moths /caterpillars. is it due to the fly that was introduced? or the severe temps that killed off a lot of , plants and trees here. rose of sharon, butterfly bush, ornamental grasses, heather/heath. and a lot of evergreens,leyland cypress,arborvitae, mostly these were from the first storm out of the north,and desiccated many evergreens. in my area on cape, we went from zone 6 to 4. fickle temps enough to kill established plants. your not alone.

19-Jun-18
same down here in zone 11 it seems. winter moth caterpillars are nonexistant, gypsy moths definetely less than last year. I thought it was do to an extended ( winter weather pattern) with below normal temps into april. But whatever the reason, my maple and apple trees are happy for it! I heard about the killer fly but I dont think they are prolific enough yet to make a serious dent. The other thought was maybe just a cyclical downturn like other insects do....

19-Jun-18
Saw that on the news one night a month or so ago. They aren't sure if it is attributable to the fly or if other natural predator populations have risen but yes the moths have been beaten down.

19-Jun-18
I have seen a bunch of Gypsey caterpillars here but maybe less then last year.

19-Jun-18
x2 what Spike says

19-Jun-18
It was a disease that killed them overnight last year. My trees were loaded, an army of caterpillars was marching up and down one day ( alive and well) as I was trying to kill as many as I could with a broom ...and they were all dead the next day. Like a moth-pocalypse.

I walked the woods and found many trees with dead caterpillars all over. A bacterial virus of some kind. Natures way of population control or some such bad luck for the bugs.

This year ( zone 11 south coastal) I have found only 2 smalls and one medium gypsy moth caterpillars. A 99,999% decrease.

I don't remember seeing any or at least not many winter months this past year. Maybe the same disease killed both.

• Sitka Gear