smokey 26-Jun-18
bowandspear 23-Aug-18
spike78 23-Aug-18
Will 24-Aug-18
Tekoa 24-Aug-18
Sosso 24-Aug-18
bowandspear 24-Aug-18
20-Jun-18
I got a new camo coat last season but it is bulky and loud. It was a good deal at the time, but this year I'd like something a bit better. I'm looking for recommendations for a "thin/non-bulky", warm, and quiet coat/jacket.

I looked at the Sitkas, but I thought it was a bit loud, even over the Cabelas din and country music over the stereo system.

20-Jun-18
For Bow hunting or gun? I hunt about 90% of the bow and gun seasons in fleece 1/4 zip pullovers from cabela's and layer underneath them. I believe is the legacy series of their stuff.

20-Jun-18
I have a Gamehide Gridlock jacket that is extremely soft and quiet that is very easy to layer with. I believe mine is the old Mathews edition. I have the bibs as well. Unbelievely quiet.

20-Jun-18
I use cabelas wooltimate pullover with a wooltimate vest. Very warm. Have the pants also for late season.

20-Jun-18
Early season, late season or just sub 45 degrees or something similar?

There are a bunch that can work well... But curious the conditions you are after comfort in? Also, if you are a good sized dude, Cabelas has a bunch of good options. I've found that the "boutique" brands, Sitka, Day One, Kuiu, Predator all have great gear but tend to fit "athletically"... so erring up a bit in size is good if you are thinking of the coat for cold weather.

20-Jun-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
I think they stopped making this jacket but if you can find one, buy it! The best

20-Jun-18
If you want to save money get a thin outer cover for early season but much too big, Any jacket or multilayers will fit under it. Only the outside needs to be camo ... the deer don't see through to the tag.

20-Jun-18
Oh I don’t know, Pi. In recent years I’ve had quite a number of deer turn up their noses at me. I think it’s because I’m wearing the same camouflage I wore high school. Not kidding. Still fits. Which means I was already pretty fat 30 years ago.

20-Jun-18
True enough Jebediah ... Deer have changed in our lifetime. Those snobby entitled brats expect everything new and expensive ... God forbid if we kill em in some old-fashioned way.

Dress to kill.

20-Jun-18
Moons x2. Great jacket

20-Jun-18
Pi my Cabelas jacket is probably 8 years old at this point. It cracks me up watching a hunting show and all the clothes are brand new. Guess you don’t wreck it being carted to the blind.

20-Jun-18
don't you guys know new camo is bad luck?

20-Jun-18
Fred Bear hunted in a red and black flannel shirt and solid wool pants. Killed plenty, from the ground too. Camo is to hide me from the dog walkers and leaf peepers. It's tough hunting the suburbs.

20-Jun-18
Although I fully support the Audubon Society, I will confess that I joined primarily so I could put the sticker on my truck. Suburban camo.

20-Jun-18
So True BC.

Spike , I will not likely ever get new hunting clothes again. It seems unnecessary but concealment is worth the effort. It is funny to see people in blinds with camo on.

Good camo/scheme Jeb. Blend in.

Hunting this part of Mass is an added challenge for sure. Parking, anti's, setbacks, other hunter issues, public walkers, Kids and their forts, private land ...

20-Jun-18
BC that's so true. I cover the fetching on my arrows in the quiver with camo cloth for that reason. Sure, I like to think I'm sneaking up on deer... but being able to avoid the eyes of humans is worth more!

21-Jun-18

bowandspear's Link
BC true that! I'm done with camo. Checkout asbellwool.com . I have a Pathfinder coming soon a few friends love theirs. And if fit is good ordering another item. Or two

21-Jun-18
I been thinking go full primitive,.. loincloth only! or birthday suit!

Image someone seeing that up a tree! Whoot!!!

Maybe do the Predator mud camo! :)

21-Jun-18
I was going to say show us your vintage camo and wool.......but if B.B. is going O natural I change my mind.

21-Jun-18
That Evening Stand green looks sweet! I may have to get me one. When you get yours let me know how you like it.

21-Jun-18
Spike the evening stand green pathfinder is what i ordered. I will let you kinow

21-Jun-18
I have the Asbbel Evening Stand Brown hooded pull over, it blends in perfect in our hunting areas. Also doesn't have that hunting/military impact look when driving to a location or stopping for coffee. Low key Subaru look.

22-Jun-18

Buckshot89's Link
Sosso, For early season I just go with a quality medium weight camo fleece quarter zip and a wicking base layer. I use a heated vest under a soft fleece quarter zip for cold days. These things are the best invention ever. This combo is not too thin or extra bulky and is most definitely quiet and warm. Seems to meet all your requirements.

22-Jun-18
Hmm those Asbbel pullovers look nice and I bet warm. Is it something that has to be dry cleaned or can it go in a washing machine?

22-Jun-18
Proline I don’t think my jacket has seen a wash in its 8 years. No wonder it still looks new ha!

22-Jun-18
New Massachusetts bowsite uniforms... Asbell evening stand green

22-Jun-18
Now I know why you don't see any deer spike! :-)

25-Jun-18
Wow! Thanks for the input all! Sorry I didn’t get back to this thread. I was stung by a bunch of wasps while mowing my lawn and went into full blown anaphylaxis. Kinda been out of sorts since. It’s weird because I’ve been stung by all sorts of stuff, Wasps included; this time my body had had enough. Now I’m that guy who has to carry an epipen with him....ugh. I’m 6’2”, 275 and I used to throw Marines out of bars by the handful. Now there’s a little insect out there with my name on it. I always thought a motorcycle crash or cancer would do me in, looks like yard work is at the top of the list. -Boo!!!

Anyhow, I really appreciate the feedback and will be going shopping upon your recommendations. The season is 4 months away and...I don’t have the itch yet...but...ooh...I may be coming down with a fever!!!

26-Jun-18
I know you said that you tried the Sitka but thats what I recommend. I have used wool, (King of the Mountain, Sleeping Indian, Columbia) for years and found that is was too heavy, bulky and not that warm in the wind. I have been using Sitka Stratus jacket and pants for two season now. It has wind stopper and is light and warm. The Stratus I found is quiet. On extremely cold days I add insulation to the jacket (Sitka Kalven w/o hood) and have stayed comfortable. The clothing is pricey but in IMHO its worth it.

23-Aug-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
So sorry this took so long. I received my wool Pathfinder from Asbell Wool about 3 weeks ago. Fit is great and I could not be happier. This pattern is the Evening Stand - Green and I also ordered 2 neckerchiefs. One for face mask the other to make a warm cap with. I can shoot the longbow comfortably and quietly. I can't wait for the weather to use it. Ordering the mountain man pullover in grey for BP season this week for walkin with the Hawkin. Theresa was so nice to deal with. Feels great to give good people my business.

23-Aug-18
Nice I like it!

24-Aug-18
Looks great B&S! Enjoy it!

24-Aug-18

Tekoa's Link
I have the Asbell wool in "Timber Ghost". Bought it for winter tracking. I really like it but it isn't for sitting in very cold weather. Heck, I still use my 25 year old green wool johnson pants and green/black wool plaid almost all the time. I am not the guy to make recommendations regarding new gear. Tekoa

24-Aug-18
Bowandspear, it looks good! Is it soft, or is it that scratchy wool? Anytime I think wool I think of my old Navy dress blues, which were about as stiff and scratchy as it comes.

24-Aug-18
Sosso, it is soft, but it is wool too and has that feel but not bad. I would not wear it against bare arms but something underneath it seems just fine.

• Sitka Gear