paul@thefort 13-Dec-20
AZ8 13-Dec-20
AZBUGLER 13-Dec-20
paul@thefort 13-Dec-20
AZBUGLER 15-Dec-20
Boomthebowman 28-Dec-20
Coyote 65 01-Jan-21
08-Dec-20
I would expect because of the lack of moisture, especially south of US 10, causing many dug-outs to be dry, there will be a LOT of hunter competition for any water source during the January archery deer season, Coues or Mule Deer. Your thoughts and will the drought change your normal deer hunting habits?

I will be heading down for the whole month of January and usually hunt Coues but will change to mule deer this time. Thanks, My best, Paul

08-Dec-20
Mule deer for me. Yeah, it’s pretty bad throughout the state. Haven’t had any appreciable rain/snow at all. Just a few “drive-by” storms only enough to dampen the dust on the desert floor and lay a light blanket of snow up north. Which melted fast. Will it change by January?? Anyone’s guess! Not sure what my game plan will be! Lol

08-Dec-20
The rifle hunt was very hard on bucks in the west central deserts. I saw more deer killed this year than any year I can remember in my 50+ years of hunting desert muleys. And most of it was off of water. It was kind of sad. The archery hunts will be just as bad.

09-Dec-20
Looking like rain!

09-Dec-20

10-Dec-20
Rained in Yuma. Its been a while!

10-Dec-20
We got a half inch in the armpit of the world. Certainly needed it.

12-Dec-20
I was told yesterday from the Tucson office, that the AZfw during drought, uses water tanker trucks to place water in dugouts and guzzlers. Have you guys see evidence of that?

Thanks, Paul

12-Dec-20
Lots of rain pretty much statewide from a storm we got the other day. It won’t fix the drought but I’m sure it filled up a bunch of dirt tanks. It was sure nice to see!

12-Dec-20
Not one dirt tank received any water after this storm. It was so dry, that clay sucked it right up.

13-Dec-20
I saw on the AZFG site that they spend nearly 1 million per year, water filling some of the catchments across AZ in prime areas..

13-Dec-20
@paul: happens a lot during very dry periods. I’ve assisted on some water hauling projects in the past. It’s a long, tedious process especially on rough roads. Driving with a load of water is a sloooooooow process! Lol

Unfortunately, it’s been so dry, this last storm didn’t do much to the dirt tanks. As mentioned by BOHNTR.....those dry tanks are like a sponge right now. We need several of these storms in row....like every 7 days or so to really make a dent. One storm every 30 days won’t do much, other than some short-term relief. Better than nothing I guess. :(

13-Dec-20
That’s crazy! But believable.

13-Dec-20
Thanks for the feed back guys. I guess the bad side of a lot of rain now is that the back roads turn muddy and very greasy. Hopefully in the 30 days I have to hunt in AZ, I can find a mule deer that will hold still at 30 yards, waiting for my arrow. I acknowledge the challenge but looking forward to it. my best, Paul

15-Dec-20
I have faith in you Paul! You’ll find a nice buck to kill with that much of a time commitment.

28-Dec-20
Droughts been tough and temp is also an issue. Just came back from my archery hunt in southern az and didnt see many mature bucks after does. Saw tons of does and quite a few smaller bucks. Hopefully this cold front coming in will jump start the mature bucks.

01-Jan-21
Seeing some bucks, one 4x4 one 3x4 which is now a 3x0. and a couple of forkies.

I keep water behind my house for the deer and other critters. Kept track of the amount in Dec. 800 gallons.

Terry

• Sitka Gear