bentstick54 16-Oct-23
Shortdraw 17-Oct-23
non typ 22-Oct-23
non typ 22-Oct-23
ksq232 22-Oct-23
Shortdraw 10-Nov-23
ksq232 12-Nov-23
30-Sep-21
After several years of applying I got lucky this year and drew a special hunt permit for the third segment archery hunt on the Grand Osage WA. I would welcome any input from any past hunters as his will be my first time on the property. I will be hunting with trad equipment, so close shots will be required. Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.

30-Sep-21
I drew 2nd segment (11/9-11/16). Stay in touch and I’ll let you know how the week of hunting before your week goes and what all you can expect. Good Luck!

30-Sep-21
Will do Jason. Thanks. Would love to hear from some others that have hunted the last few years to get their ideas for starting places, to match up with my looking at satellite images.

30-Sep-21
I drew same hunt in 2016 and shot a buck the week before the hunt. So, I turned my permit in so they could give it to someone on the waiting list. I heard/understand that you draw your hunting area. Therefore, hope you get or draw the area you have your eye on.

01-Oct-21
The Email notification I got sounds like hunters draw numbers for the order that they get to pick stand sites. So might be worth a little pre- thought just in case you draw an early selection?

01-Oct-21
I hunted it in ‘13 and ‘17. It used to be a really amazing hunt, back when you hunted 2 weeks and had to earn-a-buck. In order to keep the special hunt, Rob had to compromise and make it a 3 session season with 1 week sessions. The result was no more earn-a-buck and a much lower quality of hunt for two reasons. First, less does are being shot each year and they are WAY overpopulated, and second, one week makes it tough for people who have never hunted it before. It’s still a fun hunt and I’ll apply for it occasionally, didn’t this year. It’s just not what it used to be. I shot an ancient buck in ‘13 and saw multiple shooters. In ‘17 I saw no shooters, though I hunted 6 of the sevens days. There are a couple good bucks shot every year though, and also a bunch of young 120” deer, I’m just not going to shoot a buck like that. In one sit in ‘17 I saw 67 does traveling north to south by my stand, that’s not including fawns.

You will have a mandatory safety meeting to begin the hunt, you will draw a number corresponding to the number of hunters. You will be given 2 stickers and will place them on a big map in ascending and then descending order. Each sticker represents the area you can set a stand. Before moving stickers to another spot, you must pull your stand. They will try to keep hunters from hunting right on top of each other in the “hot spots”. My advice would be to think outside the box and look for overlooked places. If you can get in good with Rob, he will point you in some right directions. Absolutely do NOT try to still hunt or spot and stalk, they are serious when they say that will get you kicked out immediately; a low level tv hunting personality got kicked out of a hunt years ago when a buddy of mine was still working for Rob there. Don’t ask who, I don’t know. Good luck! It’s a fun hunt.

01-Oct-21
Thanks for the response James. I appreciate the insight. Any information from past hunters is always helpful when hunting a new area for the1st time.

03-Oct-21
See below from KDWP’s congratulatory e-mail…. We are happy to advise on stand locations at the time of the safety meeting and throughout the hunt. But, do not call prior to the hunt asking for good hunting locations.

Good Luck to anyone else out there that was successful in drawing this special hunt permit. Should be fun!

03-Oct-21

non typ's embedded Photo
non typ's embedded Photo
I’ve hunted it 3 times. Back in the 90s if you drew it You got it for the whole year. The first time I hunted there I got called out for work and only got to set 3 sets and passed a 140. 2nd time I passed a few small bucks but seen a giant 175 or so driving into hunt in the field next to my stand. This one I killed a couple years ago on my last hunt. Look for the funnels there are tons of does and I never had much luck rattling. I think you need to catch cruising bucks between does. I did kill this one over a doe decoy in one of the hedge pastures, gross 164

03-Oct-21

non typ's embedded Photo
non typ's embedded Photo

03-Oct-21
Great buck. I would love a shot at one like that. Thanks for posting.

05-Oct-21
Neat buck, non typ, and sounds like a great hunt.

05-Oct-21
Wow what a deer!

20-Oct-21
I understand at the safety meeting we will be treated to a slide show of some of the giant resident bucks caught on trail camera this year.

Anyone else on here draw the 2nd week archery 11/9-11/16? If so, PM me. Thx.

16-Oct-23
I drew the 9-15 this year looking forward to it. The no walking around is kind of a bummer though. I need to scout some.

16-Oct-23
Send me a PM. I drew 2nd week in 2021. I’ll be glad to share with you on what to expect related to things like scouting and other questions you might have.

16-Oct-23
Be aggressive, you don’t have much time. It is a fun hunt, but the extreme number of does makes the lockdown tough. The last time I hunted the plant, I sat one morning and had 67 does pass me from north to south and only saw 3 young bucks. I was in a travel corridor and wasn’t seeing the same deer multiple times. There are some really good bucks there though, there are lucky hunters every year. The deer travel a lot and I would see a lot of midday movement. Sit dark to dark, if you can. Lots of good bucks are killed midday according to Rob. You will see a TON of deer and if you shoot a doe, the staff will appreciate it. Have fun! I had several buddies who applied this year and didn’t get drawn. If it wasn’t for my Nebraska trip, I would have applied this year as well.

16-Oct-23
Send me a PM also. I hunted the 3rd week in2021. Be glad to share also.

17-Oct-23
I was lucky enough to draw the 3rd week myself. Will be doing it the trad way looking forward to it but any advice or input is greatly appreciated..

22-Oct-23
Just got a notification I was drawn as a cancellation on the first hunt. I’m pretty pumped, is anyone else in for that week?

22-Oct-23
I got a notification that I was drawn as a cancellation on the first hunt. I’m pretty pumped, is anyone else in for that week?

22-Oct-23
You drew very well! I’ve gotten to the point of just applying for the first hunt, simply because lockdown is so intense for reasons mentioned above. Good luck!

10-Nov-23
Has anyone heard or know how things have gone this year?

12-Nov-23
Have a buddy who shot a nice one there Wednesday.

• Sitka Gear