Nyati 23-Nov-21
Babysaph 23-Nov-21
Babysaph 24-Nov-21
JayD 25-Nov-21
Nyati 25-Nov-21
02-Nov-21

JayD's Link

02-Nov-21
We aren’t going to tuck our tails ans just go away.

We will continue the fight, ans that being said, we continue to grow with more and more wanting this. More or more people reaching out to their state reps…..

02-Nov-21

Big-Otis-Jeff's embedded Photo
Here’s some totals

02-Nov-21
You and others did a good job of getting people to respond to that commenting time period. If I remember correctly after the time period was extended you all got 800 to 900 people to send in comments - believe you all kept like a running total of it on your Facebook page didn’t ya?

It was said by the director early in this process he only hears from the people wanting change and those that are satisfied normally don’t speak out. Been watching a lot on some Facebook pages a lot more of those of us who are satisfied are speaking up - so we won’t be running away as well.

Remember what I said about 514 - time will tell - LOL it just told.

02-Nov-21

Southwick Survey…..done by a 3rd party….very well known and credible one….

02-Nov-21
Back before 514 was passed - I made over 300 calls or sent messages out to people - I would say almost 80 percent said they had no clue lowering the limit even being thought of and they didn’t like it. Again I think most people or being awoken by this - guess we will see.

Didn’t you all get like 800 to 900 people to send messages in after the time period was extended? Again you all did a great job of rounding up the troops.

02-Nov-21

When u add up 1 buck only with the 2 bucks…well….there’s overwhelming evidence…

If no one kills 3, why not make it. 4 buck limit? Because we both know those 3 bucks killed numbers would jump way up….because people know they have 1 more tag…

02-Nov-21
No actually I don’t think it would go if you raised the limit - people who shoot 2 bucks has not went up with a 3 buck limit. I’m saying that I don’t think the limit needs to be raised either - leave it as is and things will continue to improve. Until we have some years of low mast and then following years won’t be so good.

I will ask again - didn’t you all have like 800 or so people respond to comments period after it was extended?

02-Nov-21
It’s improving because people want change …once change is implemented, people will be like , why didn’t we do this before, like Sunday hunting.

890-900….absolutely not….were some sent in after, yes, but most of those were from your side saying no….so the time frame was extended …..

02-Nov-21
LOL it’s improving without change!

No only about 200 comments were made during the initial comment period - then it was extended and the majority of your all’s came during the extended period if I recall correctly. You all did a running count during that time and you got people to respond - again good job.

02-Nov-21
JayD stop with your nonsense. The comment period was extended BECAUSE we had so many people respond and it was lopsided. It was extended in fairness to you and your side. Let's not forget that PRIOR to it being extended there was also a challenge made with the state to have the comments in favor thrown out. You guys would rather disenfranchise your fellow hunters and have their voices silenced than to simply accept that you're in the minority on this. To say that the Commission bill and the buck limit bill are related is only true in the fact that this issue shined a light on how corrupted the system was. To have a select few in the minority who felt as though they held such dominion over the rest of the hunters in WV that they would go to the lengths that they have gone in order to silence them is utterly egregious.

It is true that we are getting better. To that I say you are welcome. We all owe thanks to the Better Bucks and QDMA movements for that. However, I don't see the fact that hunters in WV are embracing lower limits and letting young bucks walk as "evidence" against lowering limits or letting young bucks walk? Quite to the contrary. Let's align the bag limit with where the majority of WV hunters are at and show that we are all in together on a Quality focused management plan. Let's be the best WV we can be.

02-Nov-21
Rofl say - your welcome OMG that is hilarious! You all have had very little to do with it!

What nonsense - please explain? Just stating the truth! There was a running count of the comments. There were about 200 plus comments during the initial period. The period was extended and you all rallied the troops and got 800 plus more comments - good gracious how is saying that upsetting you so much?

02-Nov-21
I’m going to provide a little history. Initially the Director had planned a vote for the May meeting and asked for all comments, for, against, and indifferent to be sent to him.

E-mails kept coming in. McDaniels asked his bosses what to do. He was told that since e-mails kept coming in to take the vote off the agenda for May meeting and move it to August meeting. They wanted everyone to have the ability to let their voices be heard. They felt by giving an additional 3 months for public comments that everyone that wanted to could let their voice be heard . I think the total comment period was open about 5 months. That is as fair as it can be done

02-Nov-21
That's probably a more accurate statement on how and why the period was extended. Regardless, didn't matter if the comment period was 5 days, 5 weeks or 5 months it was still coming back 14 to 1 in favor.

02-Nov-21
Hey Greg thanks for the info and totally agree with it was fair to keep it open - all I have said is that from the running totals on the comment from the Facebook pages - it pretty much showed that there were about 200 plus comments during the initial comment period and then once it was extended there were an additional 800 to 900 comments. Go back look at my post here - I didn’t say it was bad or anything else - matter of fact I said good job to those who rallied the troops! Why get upset over that? LOL

02-Nov-21
JayD, Trying to recall exactly where the numbers were at that time but I guess I really don't know an exact answer. I THINK there were over a hundred or maybe somewhere around a hundred that were sent in directly in the initial period that didn't go through the counter. There were several duplicates that show up on the counter both for and against...including you I believe. They of course only allowed one response per person, and rightfully so. No one tried harder to rally people than you did. I think you guys tried to start your own petition on the alliance group but it didn't get much traction? Is the comment breakdown more useful than the scientific survey that shows 56% in favor of lowering to 40% against? I don't think it is other than to reflect which of the 2 sides are more passionate about their opinion.

02-Nov-21
To be honest with ya - I talked to some people and made a few post but I didn't really try to rally anyone. Again you all did a great job of that. I really don't know how scientific that survey was to be truthful with you I remember being ticked off that it was even done when it was brought out about the two buck proposal being mentioned that QDMA was backing - where it was said that it was DNR proposal but seems like most of the DNR guys knew nothing about it. Then if I recall the Director came out and said it was his proposal if I remember correctly - just thought it was a waste of money to do since a proposal was already brought up. I may be wrong but I think there will be a pretty strong rally from here on out now that more people are waking up on this matter. As to the 14 to 1 ratio with the comment period - it didn't surprise me at all that was the outcome for that - there were reasons for it to be that way.

02-Nov-21
The waste of money was doing the survey more than once , getting the same results, then certain commissioners ans outside forces going against what the survey represented..

Which brings us to now…..u can say there was no corruption in the commission, side deals and such…..but it was brought out in the one…..look no further than the catxh ans release issue….straight up corruption.

Funny, everyone on your side JayD say they practice what we preach….sounds like you all just like to stir the pot…..to keep your sites open….because without BBm, your sites would sink…..all u all do is BBM this, BBM that….80% of all content is us….and by looking, tide is turning there as well…..until u all delete and ban those members…

Makes more sense for u all to jump in, embrace this , help set the stage to making deer hunting better in the Mtn state..

02-Nov-21
JayD, I’m not upset with anything. Saw the post and wanted to give a historical accurate explanation of timeline of event and how and why the comment period was extended

02-Nov-21
Come on now JayD...Do we really need to grab some screenshots of you begging and pleading with people to comment, call the governor, etc? You’re doing it again right now. If you’re really naive enough to believe that no one in the DNR knew about the Director’s proposal that was pitched during the public meeting in front of and directly to those same DNR members? The 2 buck limit was proposed by them when Fala was the Director. They wrote a white paper on it. What really happened was an attempt to get the QDMA support letter killed by playing dumb. Just another dirty trick. Didn’t work of course. Being against lowering the limit is just nuts at this point. What exactly is your reasoning?

02-Nov-21
JayD, please explain why you aren’t sure how scientific the survey was? Southwick specializes in outdoor related surveys for most game and fish agencies throughout the nation. It is the most respected outdoors and game and fish survey group in the nation. WV has used it multiple times in past years for their surveys. In fact, the WV wildlife division recommended using Southwick to the director for the survey.

It appears to be well accepted for their scientific approach , data collection, and data analysis by most state Game agencies including WV DNR.

Do you have insider information on why you’re not so sure how scientific it was ? Please share your information for your informed opinion . Im sure multiple state fish and game agencies would be interested to hear your analysis and opinion if it is correct . If you are correct then maybe every state has been using the wrong company?

02-Nov-21
JayD, please explain why you aren’t sure how scientific the survey was? Southwick specializes in outdoor related surveys for most game and fish agencies throughout the nation. It is the most respected outdoors and game and fish survey group in the nation. WV has used it multiple times in past years for their surveys. In fact, the WV wildlife division recommended using Southwick to the director for the survey.

It appears to be well accepted for their scientific approach , data collection, and data analysis by most state Game agencies including WV DNR.

Do you have insider information on why you’re not so sure how scientific it was ? Please share your information for your informed opinion . Im sure multiple state fish and game agencies would be interested to hear your analysis and opinion if it is correct . If you are correct then maybe every state has been using the wrong company?

02-Nov-21
LOL gosh you guys are so funny.

First off Greg didn’t mean the upset part for you - just the 2 other guys seemed a tad irritated about me asking about the extended period. Again it was fine to extend but was it really because they were overwhelmed? Again keeping track of post on Facebook and seeing the running count that was being posted and then watching the totals on the automated response - it looked like about 800 to 900 of the post were done during that time period of the extension. Which meant there were about 200 or so comments before it was extended - so that was overwhelming? Again it’s great you all rallied the troops to respond during the extended period. I see it as though you got about 5 percent of the group to respond? A group that is so passionate about change and you get 5 percent to respond. Like the director has said several times before - he will normally only hear from the people who want change and not those who are satisfied. I think you are going to see that change - I just hope that if more people start saying they are against lowering the limit - the commission will listen.

Jeremy get all the screenshots you can - it doesn’t bother me at all because like I said I made some post but I really didn’t make a huge effort to rally people I had too much on my plate with wife’s recovery and work to try to rally many. . I will tell you though that has changed and you will see me and quite a few others start rallying more people on this matter. Been talking to more legislators as well. Again I may be wrong on this but looks more like to me more people are speaking out against you all then are joining ya.

BOJ you keep speaking all this stuff about banning people and everything by my side LOL I have not banned one person. Every time I have had the chance to approve someone requesting to join a site I have accepted all. If your side wouldn’t ban and block everyone who does not agree with your one dimensional thinking and some of your outright untruths that you throw out there - well some wouldn’t be so much against you.

Again I have told Jeremy this several times - I think you all have good intentions- but I feel your way is doing more harm to our sport than good.

And I will agree with ya I think there has been some questionable stuff done as well with the surveys and comment period - and that’s all I will say about it.

02-Nov-21
Greg I will tell you exactly why I don’t think it is very exact - i would assume they have some scientific procedure to pick out who the survey should be sent to - so did they get all of them returned?

So let me ask you a question who would you suspect to be the majority of the people who did not return survey? My guess would be those who are satisfied with the way things are. Think I am wrong on that?

So maybe I am wrong here but I thought I heard or read where about 1600 or so sent the survey back in - how many were sent out?

And I just don’t put too much faith in surveys anymore to be honest with ya.

To be quite honest with ya I think it was a waste of money to do. So since you asked me this commissioner- are you telling me I cannot have opinion on the subject since you are trying to be sarcastic with your questions of me?

02-Nov-21
Of course you can have your opinion, just like everyone else can. Survey companies know that everyone will not reply to a survey, that’s why they send out many more than they require to do statistical analysis. If they don’t get enough in they send out more batches until they do. And it’s a 100% random survey. It included license buying residents, non license buying residents, and license buying nonresidents.

They do email, snail mail, and phone to make sure they get a representative cross section of the population.

Your making an assumption that people satisfied will not reply. You have the right to make that assumption but that does not mean your assumption is correct.

Statistical analysis is a science.

2500 people can be surveyed that will represent 250,000 people with a confidence interval of 95% with a margin of error of +/- 2% , which is the industry standard

02-Nov-21
Damn. There they are. Guys came out Of the woodwork. I knew they were lurking lol

02-Nov-21
Glad to be back arguing Babysaph….for the cause….lol

02-Nov-21
I will just disagree with ya on the surveys - they haven’t been very reliable here lately.

Can you say my assumption isn’t correct?

I think you may just be surprised here over the next few months and maybe I will be the one surprised. Like I said about 514 - time will tell just like it did with 514!

02-Nov-21
You can disagree , that is your right. I’m just saying they are used throughout the nation by game and fish agencies including WV and they keep getting repeat business year after year. They must be satisfied with their work or they wouldn’t keep using them. If they are satisfied with their work that’s all that matters anyway .

02-Nov-21
Exactly the goal is to make the customer happy.

So if my assumption is right and the commission starts getting quite a few responses on not lowering the limit - will ya listen to them?

02-Nov-21
I listen to all responses, opinions, suggestions

02-Nov-21
So the survey was inaccurate? Smh….jeez….let me guess, it was manipulated to help us?

03-Nov-21
SMH

03-Nov-21
BOJ do you ever read anything? I said I think the survey was off because more than likely the majority of people who did not send their’s back in would have leaned towards people who are satisfied with the way things are! How many surveys did this independent group send out? How many were returned? I am sorry I just don’t think you can count on any algorithm to adjust that properly. I think over the past few years with the results of polls and surveys - are you going to tell me you truly trust the results?

As to the manipulation, rigging, stacking and conspiracy stuff - will just leave that stuff to you all - that’s normally your go to stuff. You all never want to have a honest truthful conversation/debate anymore.

For years we have had to listen to your myths and lies about what truly is going on. LOL I did get a great chuckle though on the one post saying that now all of us need to say thank you to your groups for all the nice bucks being taken this year and the improvements being seen. That was just too rich - yep our DNR, great mast for a couple years in a row and all of those working on better land management had nothing to do with it! It was just you guys and your groups that you kick everyone out of for not agreeing to your one dimensional thinking that has resulted in this! LOL whats even funnier - you all admit improvements are happening and guess what we still have a 3 buck limit and it’s happening!

LOL let me jump on the bandwagon and do this as well ————— SMH

03-Nov-21
JayD, you asked me if I’d listen and I said I would. I need a favor. There’s apparently a FB site called WV Whitetail Hunting (WVWH) that I appear blocked from. I think you’re a member. Can you get them to unblock me then ask me to join? Then I can see what responses and concerns they have. If I’m blocked I can’t hear all sides . Thanks

03-Nov-21
I am blocked as well…lol

03-Nov-21
I will most certainly ask - I think it’s totally stupid to block people for giving opinions - now if you put someone down that is a different story. I actually already asked on that page after one of you message me just the other day about being blocked by that page but have not gotten a response back. I will tell you - I am a member but I don’t know who the administration is on there.

Just remember fellas your group was the first to start banning people who didn’t exactly agree with you. Now you get all whiny because others have done the same to you. I could care less what group it is - I personally don’t like it!

So gobbler I have a favor to ask - will you ask wv BBM group for me to be unblocked? What about you BOJ will you ask? I loved the reason the one administrator gave me for being block - it wasn’t because of anything I had done but what I might do! ROFL

Can’t wait to hear your responses. LOL

03-Nov-21
Seen no survey here, but here are 6 hard no’ s about buck limit reduction!!

03-Nov-21
Seen no survey here, but here are 6 hard no’ s about buck limit reduction!!

03-Nov-21
I know you and them have a feud. That’s between you and them. I’m asking as a commissioner that wants to see what’s going on and what people are talking about. I am on dozens of all the outdoor WV sites. Just seems odd that I appear to be blocked , especially with u asking me to look at all sides.

03-Nov-21
Nyati, I got blocked from that group in mid conversation with JayD. As soon as I posted about the data coming from TN showing success of the limit reduction there. It's one thing to get blocked from a group that advertises a mission and purpose that you run contrary to but I think it's more concerning to have these groups that masquerade as an alliance of whitetail hunters or just a general consumption whitetail hunting group for everyone but in the background they are blocking and hiding from view of certain individuals. Seems to be more about shifting opinion or creating the perception of a shifting opinion in a carefully controlled manner. Seems quite obvious that the administrator of the group you're requesting access to is a fake account. No real pictures and no real friends that have ever met or seen an actual person. Makes you wonder who this is and what is really going on here.

03-Nov-21
You know I just sent Jeremy a screenshot of me sending an administrator of that group and asking why he was blocked pretty sure I did it immediately after Jeremy told me.

Gobbler if you recall - you got upset with me of all things - when people were asking about your bear kill - I said from what I saw you said you stalked and had no reason not to believe it and that I congratulate you. Then you made a big deal out of it saying I should have let them report. Somehow you tied me into that.

You both come on here whining about this stuff - I have been one of the only ones to stand up for either of you - even though we disagree on the limit issues.

Nice to see you won’t stick your neck out for me gobbler - shouldn’t have expected any less.

Tell you what I will continue to push for each of you to not be blocked - let’s see what you all do????

03-Nov-21
Yet you reported me .

03-Nov-21
I don’t know what u are talking about with the bear. I know Mountaineer questioned it but then he apologized and I accepted it.

I’m not whining. You asked if I would look at all opinions , I said I would, but I have to be able to see the opinions . It’s hard to evaluate opinions if I’m blocked from seeing them

03-Nov-21
JayD …I told the group to let u in….see what happens

03-Nov-21
BOJ - I am sending more messages to the group you and the others are blocked from as well. I think the blocking stuff stinks. Ask Jeremy he saw where I sent something questioning on why he was blocked.

Shouldn’t be any reason why ya can’t debate and ask each other legitimate questions.

04-Nov-21
JayD, it's a lost cause. More pro buck limit members getting blocked from that group. Clearly an anti-management agenda masquerading as a general hunting group.

04-Nov-21
JayD, I’m still waiting. You asked me to listen to all opinions, and I agreed , yet, I appear to be blocked from the FB site where I’m hearing those opinions are being expressed.

Logically, that looks suspicious and odd to me .

Tell me where I’m wrong ?

04-Nov-21
JayD, It appears you want to make the commission bill all about the buck issue.

It’s simply not. Let me give you some history. Back when the DNR commission was formed WV had 6 Congressional districts. At that time it was felt there should be a commissioner from each congressional district plus 1 at large for a tie breaker if needed. Thru the decades WV lost population thus lost congressional districts. Even at 3 there was a large swarth of WV from OH border to VA border that had no Commissioner close. All of DNR district 6 and 3 had no Commissioners living there.

Then with the 2020 census results it was known we would lose another congress seat. That set up what was likely to be a northern and southern congressional district . Using previous law there could be a situation where there could be 6 commissioners in a northern district and 1 in a southern district or visa versa. That would not be a viable situation and would not be equal representation.

The powers that be felt all regions of WV should have representation.

Since DNR already had 6 districts it was decided the best and most appropriate remedy was to have 1 commissioner from each district plus 1 at large. That would be the closest plan to what the initial plan was when the commission was first formed. They wanted state wide representation. Congressional districts worked when there were 6, it wouldn’t work with 2.

Commissioners from a DNR district could more easily travel to spring sectional meetings throughout the state, plus that is required now. Again, more involvement with the public in all areas of the state.

The director has the ability to recommend people to the Governor . McDaniels could have just hand picked people but he didn’t do that. He felt it would be more appropriate and transparent if he let his staff vote. He let 2 people from Wildlife services, 2 from DNR LE, 2 from state parks, and 2 from administration vote on the candidates. Those are the 4 main divisions of DNR. He recused himself from the administrative vote.

Then they voted on candidates for each district and the at large position. The winners of the votes were then sent to governor . These were only suggestions, as the Governor has the final say in appointments.

That’s why the commission bill was done and how it was carried out.

You have every right to continue to believe in conspiracy theories but these are the facts as to why the commission was revamped and how candidates got sent to the Governor to either approve or appoint anyone else he wanted . Commissioners serve at will and pleasure of the Governor . WV state code gives the Governor the ability to appoint anyone and get rid of anyone at anytime of his choosing with no explanation required .

04-Nov-21
Heck I thought this site was dead. It’s alive and well lol

04-Nov-21
Heck I thought this site was dead. It’s alive and well lol

04-Nov-21
Sorry Gobbler - is gobbler ok or do I need to go to the new username? What’s up with that? And I am not saying it’s a problem - your choice to do so - was just curious….

Let me give you a little history:

1- Before 514 - stated by quite a few of you it had nothing to do with buck limit vote.

2- then a few even stated don’t know if or when the limit issue would ever come up again.

3- 514 passes - 2 no votes to lowering the limit do not get reappointed

4- 2 new commissioners are both on the BBM page.

5- 3 months after new commission selected - someone brings the lower limit back into it(we all no who). LOL must admit I was the big loser on the bet - I said it would happen at the very first meeting with the new commission - but I was only a bit off….. LOL

Sorry I haven’t come up with any answers from the group but again I am just someone who requested on to the page - don’t know who the administrator or moderators are. It’s not like I can twist their arm. If I knew though I would tell you and not give you the run around like has happened from others on this forum.

If you want you can ask Jeremy if I have been trying - I think he would back me on that I have been.

04-Nov-21
You can call me whatever you want . LOL I had to do a factory reset on my phone and register again. I used gobbler forever just wanted a change.

I just found out at this last meeting that at least one maybe both joined several FB sites after being appointed to see what sportsmen are talking about. 1 had a background in fishing and 1 in trapping and they wanted to expand upon that. I think they are taking their position seriously and want to see what all the outdoor groups are talking about. I think that is a good thing . Both told me personally they want to look at both sides on the buck issue. That’s what should be done. Decisions should be based on biology, public opinions , and finances, not what someone tells you to do. It would be nice if I could see the other side too, but , whatever

04-Nov-21
LOL well I didn’t want to offend ya - understand the wanting for change - I will try to remember the new name but it’s hard to accept the change when it feels like you have been doing something forever!!! So here we go

Nayarit, I know you don’t believe it but I for one hate the blocking crap - I like communicating - it’s the only way we will ever agree or at least to agree to disagree. I have been trying to communicate with the page and plan to do one more thing this evening. That’s all I can I do.

And I may be wrong but I think one has been a member of the One Facebook page for several years. I could be wrong.

04-Nov-21
Doesn’t Nyati mean Buffalo in Swahili?

04-Nov-21
Yes , still one of my favorite hunts

04-Nov-21
JayD, don’t really know. I’m not in a habit of asking everyone what FB sites they belong to. He was president of WVWF so I figure he follows several sites

04-Nov-21
That’s ok JayD…u guys will really crap your pants when I take a Comissioner job….lol….

04-Nov-21

Independent site…lol…..

482 for reduction 104 against

Mirrors that of southwick survey , the call in survey and most BBM is banned / blocked from that site, and it run by a fake person who deletes anything pro reduction….not sure how this made it.

Change is coming…..

04-Nov-21

Independent site…lol…..

482 for reduction 104 against

Mirrors that of southwick survey , the call in survey and most BBM is banned / blocked from that site, and it run by a fake person who deletes anything pro reduction….not sure how this made it.

Change is coming…..

04-Nov-21

DOOD's embedded Photo
DOOD's embedded Photo

04-Nov-21
this has everyone out and about. Bout like the buck limits and commission meeting threads. Seems politics brings em out. Not bowhunting. LOL

04-Nov-21
Damn Big Otis . I thought you had to be appointed. And you already know you are taking a commission position? lol

04-Nov-21
LOL JR- he didn’t say what he would be commissioner of!

Again how many people in WV don’t have the internet. How many who do are on these pages? I think the more passionate ones will be and these numbers don’t surprise me at all. Troops are rallying though - I don’t think the fight is over just yet.

Again tell me why it should be lowered? Let’s see you first told me that too many hunters were killing 3 bucks and they were all spikes. Buzzzzzz wrong!

Then you say well all these people will hold off and not kill a small buck and hold on to their tags. Good old NDA report shows even one buck states the majority of hunters still kill 1.5 and 2.5 year olds. Pretty much the same stats as here in good ole WV. If all these hunters are going to hold on to their tags why do young bucks make up the majority of the harvest in KY, OH and TN? LOL more fake news

I believe there will be a photo album of all these nice bucks being harvested and they will be sent to our politicians and commissioners - just so they can see what’s out there instead of the ole fake news report that like to be touted by some.

Good gracious everything you guys put out there as fact always comes back as not being true…..

04-Nov-21
Awesome idea about the photo album JayD. 2 thumbs up !!!

04-Nov-21
I am amazed almost everyday I look on these pages and see the deer. It’s a little aggravating because work is taking up too much of my time right now!

I have been meaning to ask you - the project you started several years ago - I believe it was for a yellow warbler - how is it going? Are you see anymore of that bird at your place? I don’t know if you heard and maybe it was across the state but I think it was mainly here in the eastern panhandle - we were having quite a few bird dying . I do love some of the projects you have started! Land and timber management is where it’s at!

05-Nov-21
JayD i dont disagree with the great deer that are being shot this year. What has been different the last 2 years compared the years prior? The buck harvest was quite a bit lower in both 2019 and 2020. In 2017 aprox 44,599 bucks were harvested, 2018 aprox 44,572 bucks were harvested during the 2 week rifle season, 2019 aprox 36,796 and in 2020 aprox 38,776 bucks were harvest during the 2 week rifle season. So with that many less deer being harvested proves that less bucks being shot allows that many more to become older and more mature.

05-Nov-21
DOOD - and what has been in place all this time still and we are seeing these nice ones harvested? it’s happened without lowering the limit. We have had good mast crops - the herd is healthy- quite a few good things happening.. even if the buck kill happens to rise this year - I bet next year we will see some nice bucks killed.

Now we have a few years of a not so good mast crop - bet we won’t see as many nice ones harvested.

Also over an 18 year span the buck harvest has dropped by 60,000! Happened without dropping the limit to 1 or 2. During that time period we have added more trophy areas for those who like to hunt more mature bucks - even though mature bucks are being harvested all across the state.

I think you all have good intentions I really do. I think if you all would open your eyes a little wider and see what is actually going on - you would see the things you wish to happen are happening.

05-Nov-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
Third year of cut. Doing another 20 acres this winter

05-Nov-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

05-Nov-21
Looks good! Have you been seeing any more birds? I don’t know if they ever determined what was causing the deaths down here but they were asking people not to use bird feeders

05-Nov-21
I can’t tell the different warblers. The biologist said she heard some. Deer and Turkey are in there all the time.

The bird issue was limited to the eastern panhandle. Crum told me they sent the dead birds off to be tested. They tested for every disease known to man but still couldn’t find anything. 90% + were juvenile birds. Rest of state didn’t have the problem

05-Nov-21
JayD, there is no doubt that some real quality bucks are hitting the ground this year. A few really good ones.

The question is why. The last couple of seasons the buck kill came in 10-15 thousand bucks lower than predicted by DNR each year. That’s 20-30 thousand bucks that survived.

Those deer lived and continued to grow and get older. Instead of getting killed at 2.5 or 3.5 they turned into 4.5 and 5.5. They actually got a chance to mature and with that maturity came larger antlers. That’s what happens . We are killing good quality mature bucks throughout the state. That proves we have the habitat and genes to produce good quality bucks if only they can make it to maturity.

This year should put to rest the thoughts we don’t have the genetics or habitat that’s required to produce good quality bucks IF they can live long enough.

There’s a lot of excitement among hunters because of what they are seeing, getting on cameras, seeing on FB etc.

That is a good thing. It would be nice if that happened every year and it could with a different management plan.

Unfortunately, we’ve seen this happen several times in the past .

For whatever reason, mast crop, bad weather , etc., we’ll have a couple of years of decreased harvest then get a year of mast failure, good weather , and since deer are out in fields and moving more to find food we get a big harvest then we’re back to ground zero. And the cycle starts again.

I think it would be better for hunters, license sales , etc. if it weren’t a cyclical occurrence but a yearly occurrence.

05-Nov-21
Us darn panhandlers! LOL

I haven’t seen any dead birds but just going by what I see around here - it seems like we are not seeing as many birds.

Sleepy Creek WMA over the past 30 years has seen a lot of habitat improvement projects - has helped all animals not just the specific animal they targeted for the project.

Again that is what I would like to see more of.

I like seeing the habitat projects you have done on your place.

05-Nov-21
That looks like perfect habitat.

What is the long term plan for these areas? Re cut every so many years?

How did you go about determining where to do them?

05-Nov-21
I think the yellow Warblers are yellow ????

05-Nov-21
I think the yellow Warblers are yellow ??

05-Nov-21
Again all that you said about what we are seeing - it happened with a 3 buck limit.

I think you are going to get your wish and the limit will be reduce but when we get those couple of years in a row where mast isn’t so good - because of it some areas will get over browsed and we don’t see the numbers of the kind of bucks being posted the past few years - i bet again we will see oh we have to lower the limit again instead of open your eyes to what is really happening.

As to the cycle stuff - it’s not limited to just WV it happens in others states as well - just not to the degree it happens in WV because we are almost 80 percent forest.

You don’t think I give age credit - I don’t think you give the habitat, soil and nutrition enough credit as to what is happening. I don’t think either one of us will change. Again just a difference of opinion but I think the numbers support me more! LOL

05-Nov-21
Maybe the number of bucks these guessed were living was off.

05-Nov-21
wv bowhunter, it was planned with a forester , NRCS and WV DNR biologist .

There’s a program thru NRCS for these projects. DNR works with and gets paid by NRCS to provide a biologist for the programs.

They have criteria for site selection, minimum size, trees to save, trees to cut, etc.

2 things I’ve learned, you need a forester that is trained in wildlife management. It’s not all about volume of timber but the main goal of wildlife management with a secondary goal of timber.

2. You need to find a logger that is willing to work with you and within parameters of program. One of the programs for cerulean Warbler you save the best and biggest red oak and white oak. Which is what most loggers want .

05-Nov-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

05-Nov-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo

05-Nov-21
That’s the cerulean Warbler cut. Best biggest trees saved . Opens canopy 40-50%

Those last 2 pictures were from last year. This year the forest floor has exploded with green browse

05-Nov-21
Thanks, How much input do you have with a program like that from your hunting perspective?

Thinking in terms of the terrain and where you have good access to stand locations for certain winds and such?

05-Nov-21
Even though they have their parameters the landowner has final say

05-Nov-21
That is neat!

05-Nov-21
Wv bowhunter, the long term plan will probably be up to whoever owns the farm next. This will provide excellent game, bird, and other wildlife habitat for next 15+ years. I’ll probably be dead by then (lol).

I’m spreading these out across the farm to provide prime habitat and sanctuary areas for the future

With the next cut planned to start first of Dec. I’ll have about 50 acres in early successional habitat. That’s a little less than 10% of farm. For now I think that will be a good mix. I have about 12 acres in food plots . Diversity of habitat is the key and early successional habitat is probably the most important. Early successional habitat beats food plots hands down for browse production on a yearly basis. Foodplots definitely have their place at certain points in a year.

05-Nov-21
Appreciate the information.

I agree with diversity being key. Sounds like a great setup. Hope to do some of that type of work around here someday.

05-Nov-21
Jayd, You missed the part that it's happening after 2 of the lowest rifle season harvests in the last 40 years. Genetics hasn't changed. Food hasn't changed. Habitat hasn't changed. Age had changed.

And I'm not sure that cherry picking the best deer from each county for a photo album is a great way to prove your point.

What we said would work, a lower buck kill, has worked miraculously this year.

06-Nov-21
Unbelievable how you all can try to salvage and turn around any story…

There is only one thing that hasn’t changed and one thing only and that is the limit has been 3 all during this!

We have had low harvest before! Like I have stated before - our gun harvest has dropped by 60,000 per year over an 18 year period.

We have had good mast crop for about 4 years in a row. I have never witnessed a period of 4 years of good mast in a row! And when we get those few years of low mast - following years won’t be so good.

It is amazing how ill-informed your group is and how some have mislead people. Again you shouted from the mountain top for years that every bubba and every non-resident killed 3 spikes. Numbers came out and has shown about 1/3rd of 1 percent of hunters kill 3 bucks. Heck a lot of the people on your page still believe we have huge numbers of people killing 3 bucks! Of course some of you have instead turn to the answer of - well since hardly anyone uses the tag let’s just eliminate it. It’s Just too much how you flip answers when the facts do not back up your stories!

Then it was - oh well young bucks make up the majority of our harvest. Numbers from NDA show that even in 1 buck limit states - young bucks make up the majority of the harvest! So much for that - oh we lower the limit and hunters will hold on to their tags for a big one and let those young ones walk!

Just once it would be nice for you to come up with at least one thing that is factual!

06-Nov-21
Yes, the limit has stayed at three. Yes, the last two rifle seasons have each been about 10,000 bucks short of predicted harvest. Yes, we have had low seasons. They are followed by banner years. We haven't had back to back low seasons like this. Yes, our harvest went up by 6% in 2020 but yes it was also two of the three lowest harvest in forty years. When you have back to back, two of the three lowest harvest rifle seasons in forty years do you expect some deer to get older?

You are trying to correlate three buck limit with the better year we are having and lower harvest, then why hadn't it happened before? Why is the bow harvest the same? And don't tell me the oak mast because oak mast lowers bow harvest typically.

I do feel many hunters kill any buck they see then hunt for something else. I'm pretty sure the three spike argument is yours, not mine. I'm pretty sure the one buck argument with me is yours, not mine. Straw man's to fit your rationale.

06-Nov-21

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Why is the bow harvest the same - ummm we have sort of discussed this before - not for sure about last season number on this because I haven’t looked into it but I bet this will be a pretty good assumption with recent numbers leading up to last year. Even though the crossbow is a separate season and just runs concurrent with bow season - they add the crossbow harvest into archery season. I don’t know the numbers from last season but I do know that the seasons before the crossbow harvest has been the only season to increase over the past few years - neither verticals bow or gun season had.

Seriously you think the only decline in buck harvest has been the last few seasons? Again since 2003 or 2002 - the buck gun harvest has dropped by 60,000! It’s done so and a 3 buck limit has been in place. Now am I correlating into it’s been the reason why - NO!!! Again NO!!!! What I am saying that it has happened with a 3 buck limit though!

And once again for about the past 4 years we have seen a pretty good mast crop - when one type of mast has been lower there has been several others that have done well. I have not ever seen that for 4 or 5 years in a row. Normally I have seen spaced in there at some point years where there was just low mast across the board. So yes it has made a difference the past few years.

I was going to make a comment in return on your straw man’s comment but I will let it pass.. Just once would like to see a debate without the smart butt comments.

So going to post some numbers from a screenshot of a message sent to me - I have not had the chance to verify yet - but if true that lowering the limit to two will help with more mature bucks for all - ummm why has TN seen a drop in trophy entrees since they lowered their limit? Umm from what I have seen on social media - it looks to me like WV has seen more trophy killed - ummm during a time that we still have a 3 buck limit. Going to see if I can find the number of trophy entrees for WV here the past few years. Over the next few days.

The numbers in the pic are what was sent to me on TN’s entrees.

06-Nov-21
JayD, the TN expo was cancelled in 2019 so hardly any entries in the TN registry. You left out 2020 which has 49 so far. I can only assume that’s on purpose. The important thing is official B&C and P&Y entries are up consistently. TN registry starts at 115 and hunters seem less inclined to shoot or enter those bucks now for whatever reason. If you want to talk about misleading you are it my friend. Official bio data is up 8-10% on 3-1/2 +.

06-Nov-21
Jeremy - I clearly said this was sent to me and I haven’t verified it yet but I thought I saw in that message where they added 2020 so don’t tell me I am misleading . This guy shows up until the time I guess he looked - that 2020 only added about 30ish. But if you add 2020 to it then there would be more years in the most recent segment than the other 2 segments.

I will admit you have looked at the TN numbers much more than me so does this guys numbers look correct for the previous years?

After I get thru this busy period of work and November hunting I am going to dive into these numbers.

06-Nov-21
JayD, I’ve got a letter from the Chief Commissioner on the TN Game and Fish Commission that disputes what you are saying. I gave a copy to each of our Commissioners with his permission. I’m not going to post it here because I don’t have his permission. But, it’s a 180 from what you are posting .

With all due respect I’m going to put more validity from the Chief Game and Fish Commissioner from TN Game and Fish on this matter

06-Nov-21
Nyati - great I would love to see that. I want to see the numbers and not just peoples opinions. what would be exactly in dispute? The numbers that the guy sent me? Again I said from the get go I hadn’t verified them yet - so since you all think they are wrong - please post what the real numbers are.

06-Nov-21
JayD, as I said . I was given permission to give copies to other commission members which I did. I was not given permission to release it to general public. I’m not going to break the trust given to me.

I will however reach out and see if I can get permission to do so .

06-Nov-21
I understand that you need to ask him first - completely understand that.

But I would think you could say what would be disputed without showing what he sent.

06-Nov-21
I’m going to try to get permission for the whole letter. That way it would be more transparent and in context. I don’t want to be accused by anyone of picking and choosing one part over another

06-Nov-21
JayD, in the woods today but I’ve already told you the reason for the drop before. To keep repeating it and leaving out COVID is misleading. I looked at TN’s registry a few weeks ago and it it was 49 just for 2020 at that point and it may have gone up since.

06-Nov-21
JayD, in the woods today but I’ve already told you the reason for the drop before. To keep repeating it and leaving out COVID is misleading. I looked at TN’s registry a few weeks ago and it it was 49 just for 2020 at that point and it may have gone up since.

06-Nov-21
Ok if I get this straight you are saying that the numbers I have may not be wrong but they may not take in the account or were effected by this pandemic. I didn’t try to mislead anything so stop with the accusation’s - just say I believe your numbers don’t take this into account!

Jeremy let’s start with me and you and try to get the conversations more civil. I know you want that as much as me.

06-Nov-21
JayD, fair enough. I’m in the woods and am just going to focus on the deer the rest of the day. This debate is molesting my hunt, lol.

06-Nov-21
JayD, fair enough. I’m in the woods and am just going to focus on the deer the rest of the day. This debate is molesting my hunt, lol.

06-Nov-21

06-Nov-21
Good luck!!! I am at the WVU game - if I were in the woods I would do the same!!!

08-Nov-21

Weird …this is matching every other survey or poll conducted…even with most of the BBM guys banned….lol….even matches southwick…

746 for 164 against

09-Nov-21
JayD, someone told me this survey is from the FB site I’m blocked from . Do u know if that’s true ?

09-Nov-21
Weird Nyati…blocked as well….lol

09-Nov-21
I think it is but BOJ is the one post it on here why not ask him?

I actually got a reply back from the one moderator earlier today and he said that the Jason fella is a real person and not made up. I will tell you exactly what he said - he said it is lies from BBM that the guys account is a fake one. That was him and not me. Said that the others were jealous because their page is growing so fast.

Take that for what it is worth. Again the guy reply to my query those are not my words. Again I am just a member - so have no clue if it’s the truth or not.

Again the poll doesn’t surprise me at all - I am actually going to do a little h polling on there want to see just how much these fellas know.

09-Nov-21
Do u know why I can’t join ?

09-Nov-21
Do u know why I can’t join ?

10-Nov-21
When I sent the message to them I ask if the Jason guy was a fake account and I asked why some were banned or block - what I said in the previous post is the reply I got back. No answer to the blocking. I am gonna try one more time but it is probably about as futile as me not being blocked by a group. Silliness as far as I am concerned.

11-Nov-21
I’ll say this. I don’t care about this anymore. People aren’ t interested in biology. Only what they want. And, that’s a one sided deal for the most part.

However, I’ve heard Greg make declarations that there will be a buck limit change. All of us here has heard it. There maybe a copy or two of it stored away or floating around. Even after he deleted the comments. Are we supposed to believe he cares about anything but that?

We watched the politics with previous crossbow votes to get this cornered. And, then read here where the commissioner we supposedly cares about what other hunters want? I don’t believe that no matter how many millions of times he states it. He’s declared that. So, I’m forced to believe him. I’m not being hateful or mean. I’m simply regurgitating his own words.

With all that said, I truly don’ t care about lowering it. I think it’s economically stupid to suggest it. I think it takes a know it all attitude to over rule the data that suggests it’s economic madness to reduce it. I think it’s beyond common sense to see the harvest data and still insist we try it. Blatantly, it’s just selfish.

But, I’m not going to argue about it anymore. Nor am I trying instigate and argument. But, I do believe in living by your words. And, not what you want people to feel.

If people have changed their outlook since then I’m willing to concede it’s possible. But, I’m a two weapon hunter and I intend to ensure I get that ability in the future. As well as all the up coming hunters.

11-Nov-21
Mountaineer, I’m not wanting to argue either. The majority of hunters want it, with all the surveys, questionnaires it’s hard to argue they don’t . The numbers are in black and white.

Financially , the Commission got the fiscal report along with all the income sources, grants, PR money, gas lease money, revenue from wildlife endowment fund, etc., etc., budget, total income and total expenditures. Not sure where your getting information from about economic impact but reasonable minds can disagree on what is economic madness. I think you may be surprised as to what the actual percentage is in relation to total budget with the loss of 3rd buck tag sales .

DNR is not a stock that has to pay dividends to the owners. The dividends are the sportsmen and sportswomen receiving what they want.

Again, I’m not wanting to argue or be smart but we got the actual numbers .

12-Nov-21
Unless the numbers have changed from the last discussion about them, I’m not going to be surprised about the third buck at all versus tag sells

I think the numbers of who wants what is likely where the poll says it is. It’s impossible to get it wrong unless it was cooked from the beginning. Which I don’t believe it was.

Like I said before, there are reasons the bucks limit is likely to change. And, it has little to do with what any survey says. You politicized it from your appointment due to your own priority. There is no denying it. It isn’t a gotcha point. It’s what you said. And, it’s reality. Regardless of the validation you are using now.

That isn’t a smart guy response. Nor an arguing point. It’s the truth in black and white print.

Good hunting gentlemen.

12-Nov-21
My personal position has not changed for 12 + years. I said I think WV needed a 2 buck limit back then. My personal opinion was no secret to anyone when I was appointed the first time , and it was no secret when I was appointed a 2nd time. During my first appointment my opinion was reinforced by the DNR and Southwick survey. I have not changed or flip-flopped . Much more important than what I may want or think would be best, the majority of hunters do also. I hope your hunting season is going well

20-Nov-21
WVMountaineer,

You routinely state how few people kill a third buck. So few it just won't work. You state you are a two weapon hunter. For every two weapon hunter, after they shoot their first archery buck they have to make the decision if the second buck with archery is worth missing out on gun season for bucks. Every hunter who kills two bucks in archery is done. That number greatly surpasses your number if third bucks killed being the only deer we are saving. We simply don't see in harvest data what is actually protected. We can't see with kill numbers what someone else decided to pass.

21-Nov-21
One Archery, one Firearm, my opinion only,anything more is about money for state.My cousin has 2017 2500 Chevy with 6 “ lift, he pays $12.50 for inspection, I have 1984 GMC 3500 with 6” lift I pay $24.50 for modified inspection,West Virginia says they are poor an low come but look at what we pay for,money talks .Again my opinion only, West Virginia born n raised and will die here, absolutely love this state just not the people who make the decisions, I hunt Brooke County one of the smallest counties we have.Look at everything we have to pay for an compare to other states, money talks bullshit walks.I’ve had a great bow season, haven’t put a deer on the ground but it’s not about killing a deer it’s about hunting the deer I want.Be safe and good luck, West Virginia forever.

21-Nov-21
Well here’s my opinion. 1 im not in favor of lower the buck limit. 2 the survey on a Facebook page you keep throwing up has less than 1000 votes. 3 the other survey that keeps getting mentioned I never heard of it as well as several other people I know. That f Didn’t get it. My point is that I REALLY BELIEVE that WVA has a lot more hunters than what “ these survey are saying “ the majority wants “ im 55 years old I’ve been buying my licenses scene I was a teenager. No matter what someone does you will never get 100%. But I want to see something close to 90% of ALL hunters get a vote.

21-Nov-21
Bkbowhunter, if you can provide the literature and science behind why you need 90% of all hunters to reply to a survey for it to be accurate then I will listen and consider it.

I just don’t understand why Southwick is regarded as the gold standard by every other state including WV DNR on every other survey and statistical analysis they do on public opinion , EXCEPT, what people want for a buck limit. When it’s the buck limit , it’s not accurate, doesn’t include enough people, is biased, etc., etc., etc., .

It just seems odd that everything else they do is great and awesome except the buck limit survey .

Maybe it’s more about the survey not turning out how some people wanted it to turn out rather than it being a bad survey . Just a thought .

21-Nov-21
Im just saying I didn’t get it as well as many other people that didn’t get too. So going on the amount of people that did it. most most of them did want it. Pretty simple really. Divide how many people hunt in wva compared to how many people did the survey ?????

21-Nov-21
I didn’t get it nor anyone I know got it either. But that doesn’t mean it was a scientifically and statistically bad survey. State game agencies make multimillion dollar decisions based on Southwicks surveys and analysis . I don’t think they would do that if they didn’t think their work was above reproach.

You can look it up, a truly RANDOM survey of 2500 people can give you the same results of surveying 250,000 people down to +/- 2 with a confidence interval of 95%. That’s the standard any survey company goes by

21-Nov-21

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
To get a valid statistically accepted result of 250,000 people that is +/- 2% with a CI of 95%( the generally accepted standard) you need a little over 2300 people. They surpassed that. They reached people by e-mail, regular mail, and by phone. All generally accepted means of contact were used. DNR ELS was used which included resident license buyers, resident that don’t need a license, residents with free licenses, and NR license buyers

21-Nov-21
Wel I know personally the amount of people I’ve asked “ tho a small group.” MOST don’t want a chance a few do a few said it doesn’t matter. Im not saying I have the answers. Im just saying that I personally along with others im sure. Would like to see where 90% or more could personally vote yes or no. And get A TRUE # not just well 2500=25000 on average. And for your above statement why we need 90% of hunters to reply to a survey. Does not every hunter hav a voice ????!

21-Nov-21
Yes, and that is why the e-mail comment period was extended by director and Governor an additional 3 months after the survey came out. There was a 5 month comment period that was published in the news at least twice if I remember correctly. It came out 1022 for reducing the limit and 72 against reducing the limit . Everyone had a chance to comment for 5 months . If people didn’t send in comments that’s on them. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make them drink.

21-Nov-21
PSE bowhunter. If both are modified 6 inch lifts why is one more expensive than the other?

21-Nov-21
We have been talking about this for years and it will not happen because of money. Something will have to increased. If not many people are killing 3 deer whats the point?

21-Nov-21
Babysaph, because the majority of the hunters want it. It’s better for DNR and commission to do it rather than have legislature do it. Legislature took dog training and made it into law Legislature took crossbow and made it into law I hope they don’t do the same with buck limit but they are already talking about it if it’s not acted upon . That’s not good for anyone . Plus they know what the fiscal report really is .

21-Nov-21
I agree, I don’t think we want the legislature handling this stuff. Just around my small area, I am not sure there was a large number of people killing multiple bucks until the crossbows became legal. Out of 10 bucks that were killed within a couple mile radius of me or people I personally know who killed bucks, all but 2 were killed with crossbows.

I am not saying that is good or bad. I am glad people are out enjoying the outdoors. It is just something that I have noticed. Who knows, all of them may have been killed anyway if all of the hunters were using compounds. I can’t speak to their intentions for being selective or not on any additional bucks either.

However, I can say that all 10 bucks were at least 3.5 but most were most likely 4.5 +. So they were not killing the first 1.5 year old bucks they saw.

21-Nov-21
Nyati - during the comment period that was extended with the results being 1022 to 72 - how many comments were sent in during the initial commenting time period? How many were received during the extended session?

As to the Southwick survey - how many surveys were sent out? How many were return? Oh do you know if a person can contact the dnr and ask for a copy of the survey questions and get the results as well?

My big question is why can't our DNR send out simple email to people who buy licenses - saying something like X number of people deer hunt in WV and this is the number of deer we estimate to be in WV - this number of people kill 1 buck and this number kill 2 and this number kill 3. Then ask if they feel the limit should be lowered. They can send out an email just like they do the email letting people know about the gold rush. Give people accurate info instead letting all these people think every bubba and every non-resident kill 3 small bucks. Heck I had a conversation several weeks ago with a fan of one of the pages you like and are active with - the person said out-staters kill more bucks than West Virginians! LOL its not even close!

I just love how reducing the limit is going to have all these people holding on to their tags - my question is if this is true - then why do 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks make up the majority of bucks harvested in states like OH and KY? - I wish someone would come out with how many people hunt and how many bucks are killed. How many hunters buy an extra tag and compare it with how many hunters kill multiple bucks. Wouldn't those be some interesting facts?

21-Nov-21
That’s going to be an issue going forward. Biologically, only so many bucks can be taken before the rut. That’s biology 101.

21-Nov-21
It not many people are killing 3 deer why would they want it? How they going to recoup the money?

21-Nov-21
You would have to ask them. If you would see the fiscal note the actual percentage the 3rd buck tag accounts for in the budget would surprise you. The DNR is not a for profit company. It’s purpose is to preserve and manage natural resources for the public. That’s why the public should have input as to how resources are managed as long as there is no negative effect to the resource, and is fiscally responsible , which it is .

DNR has many sources of income

21-Nov-21

21-Nov-21
Didn’t know that. I thought they needed the money for the extra tags,

22-Nov-21
As much as I would like to see a lower limit if I thought it would have a significant negative impact on the budget I couldn’t and wouldn’t vote for it

22-Nov-21
So our biologist and even the director has stated that lowering the limit would have no effect - except for giving some of you the perception that something is being done.

Not only will lowering the limit hurt the sale of the extra tags - wouldn’t you say the people buying them are probably hardcore hunters - will probably go to other states and spend their money there on food, gas and whatever else - instead of putting into the WV economy? It’s not just the lost of tag revenue.

Of course I find it strange that now it’s not the money - I could have swore I remember that being one of the points in favor of lowering the limit - that the DNR was losing funds from hunters leaving to go to other states to hunt bigger bucks.

23-Nov-21
JayD, there’s a difference in loosing 20 dollars from a hunter that is already here versus loosing all license money and economic benefits from someone not hunting here or driving thru WV to get to another state.

People forget about the sociology aspect of the initial white paper the DNR wrote about lowering the limit. People will likely change their mindset on what they will kill with a lower limit. They can still kill what they want if they chose but are more likely to be more selective. That is where the difference will be, not the 700 or whatever 3rd bucks killed. There’s some studies that suggest that by being more selective ( either self imposed or regulations imposed ) that hunters actually stay in the woods longer and hunt more.

JayD, have u ever hunted out of state ? I may be wrong but I thought I had remembered something about that from years ago ?

Let me tell u a story about Missouri last year. They have a 2 buck limit, 1 archery, 1 gun. The county I was hunting had antler restrictions. I was talking to a lady hunter in her 50s one night after hunting. We were talking about their antler restrictions. She asked how many bucks we could kill in WV and I told her 3. Then she asked how big they had to be and I told her 3 inches. She burst out laughing and said that’s funny, really, how big do they have to be ? She actually thought I was joking. When she finally figured out I wasn’t she said that’s crazy, no wonder you drove out here to hunt . That’s embarrassing, and it’s not the first time I’ve got that response. I’ve gotten it several times hunting out of state without saying anything when they find I’m from WV. Deer hunters know about the bow counties and the deer coming from there but think the 3 buck limit with no ARs in the rest of the state is crazy and I’ve had several tell me that is why they would never come here to deer hunt. It’s embarrassing to me and it’s embarrassing for our state that deer hunters think that.

Our hunters want it, why deny or fight against what the majority of our OWN WV hunters want ?

23-Nov-21
So just how many former WV hunters (who are still residents) are not buying a license here anymore but are going to other states? Why wouldn’t they just go to the 4 bow only counties are the older managed WMA through out the state?

Some studies huh - ok - any studies been done yet asking the hunters who buy the extra tags if they will go to other states and spend money there instead of spending it here in WV?

23-Nov-21
Oh question for you Nyati - someone told me the buck limit wouldn’t be lowered in the cwd areas - have you heard anything on that?

23-Nov-21
So again if not many 3rd bucks are killed are we not just wasting time and effort? As it stands now all thT you said can still be done. Heck you don’t even have to kill a buck.

23-Nov-21
So again if not many 3rd bucks are killed are we not just wasting time and effort? As it stands now all thT you said can still be done. Heck you don’t even have to kill a buck.

23-Nov-21
I am no biologist but if you want to get bigger deer just go to a one and done with AR’s. Or if two deer put AR’s on the bucks. Let the kiddies shoot what they want. How about choose your weapon? I bet these restrictions would not be popular. I’m all for just one buck period. Anyone else ?

23-Nov-21
I am no biologist but if you want to get bigger deer just go to a one and done with AR’s. Or if two deer put AR’s on the bucks. Let the kiddies shoot what they want. How about choose your weapon? I bet these restrictions would not be popular. I’m all for just one buck period. Anyone else ?

23-Nov-21
JayD, good question about CWD areas. There’s research going on now about what is best in CWD areas. Michigan is doing a lot of it.

It sounds good to say kill more bucks to keep risk low.

But it’s more complex than that. Bucks are twice as likely to have or express signs of CWD the older they get. Last study I saw was like a 16% incidence rate in 4.5 yr old bucks. I think that was in a Michigan study. In same study a doe at 4.5 had 8% incident rate.

So if you had 100 4.5 year old bucks then 16 would have CWD

If you had 100 4.5 year old does you would have 8 does with CWD

Even with a fairly good 4 doe to 1 buck ratio that would give you 16 bucks and 32 doe out of 500 deer ( 100 4.5 bucks and 100 4.5 does).

So even with bucks having higher individual incidence of CWD because of more does than bucks there’s probably more does overall with it.

Older bucks tend to get selected and removed because each year they get larger antlers up to 6 or 7.

That doesn’t really happen with does 99% of hunters can’t tell the difference between a 2.5 yr old doe and a 5.5 year old doe.

The Michigan study suggested that older matriarch does in a family group may be infecting younger deer because of the constant grooming and licking they do. They theorized that yearling bucks may be getting infected then when they disperse from the family group to set up their own home area may be responsible for spreading the disease.

So, maybe focusing more on does rather than bucks may do more to slow the spread ?

Whatever happens , if the entire focus is only on bucks then you’re only focusing on half the problem .

I think to really have an effect on limiting spread there needs to be more emphasis on does because bucks tend to get all the focus because as they get older and bigger they get taken out already by hunters .

I don’t think there is a 100% perfect answer because we don’t know enough about CWD yet

23-Nov-21
Babysaph, Im not sure 1 and done is a viable option. I would like it but have to be realistic. Loss of revenue from 3rd buck tag is not a big deal . Loss of revenue going from 2 to 1 tag IS a big deal. ARs are being discussed, not on 1st buck because people should have the option to shoot what they want for first buck. For additional buck(s), there’s points to be made for ARs.

We have lots of 2 weapon hunters. My biggest concern is the number of bucks being taken out of the herd before rut. The crossbow is DEFINITELY playing a role in that. There HAS to be enough bucks to breed does to sustain a population. Contrary to popular belief a single big stud buck doesn’t breed dozens of does. The average buck (big or small) successfully breeds about 3 does during the rut. But the crossbow is here to stay because Legislature got involved. That’s why I don’t want Legislature getting involved in setting buck limit.

23-Nov-21
JD a email sounds great and like I keep saying you will never get 100% results.but I believe that’s a great idea. But I keep hearing it’s what the majority wants. Not according to most people I talked too. I live in summers co. So i hunt on bluestone WMA a lot. I see several deer I have to pass on so many bucks because of the size restrictions on there. That i would love to take. And I hear shoot more doe’s. I always shoot more doe’s than bucks and always buy all the extra tags I can. I eat tag soup a lot. I just don’t see why there is such a push to lower the limit ???

23-Nov-21
So I think I posted several months ago - after BOJ said something about how the archery kill on bucks had went up after I made the comment that the buck harvest has dropped by like 60,000 for the rifle season over the past 18 years. After contacting the DNR I was informed that over the same period of time the bucks killed by archery/crossbow has only went up by like 1,000. It’s like 19,000 bucks are being harvested by archery and crossbows - that is too much before the rut? And I would think a big percentage of the archery buck kill is during the rut. So why the concern that too many bucks are being killed before the rut now?

23-Nov-21
JayD, the number dropped by 10s of thousands because the DNR was forced to lower the deer population in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I honestly don’t know if it’s too many right now. IDK how many deer we have. I asked the DNR 2.5 months before this last commission meeting to provide the commission with a population estimate per county. They do spotlight surveys and have estimates based on the number of deer checked in. That’s how they determine if a county is open to doe hunting, the number of does allowed, and whether it’s an “earn a buck “ county. Despite asking for the information with plenty of lead time no population data was presented.

I used data from a couple of years ago and it was something like 35-39% of bucks killed were checked in before rifle season started.

IDK where the cutoff is as to what percentage would have to be before reproduction was affected but it’s something I am concerned about . I’m not saying it’s there yet, I honestly don’t know but it’s something that’s going to have to be watched closely .

I do know that if 35-39% of gobblers were killed in the spring before breeding that would very likely affect reproduction . I do know I’m seeing more and more crossbow kills every year. They have as much right to hunt with crossbows as anyone with any legal weapon . I do know the archery/crossbow kill is buck heavy and with the efficiency and distance of the newer crossbows I don’t see that trend declining.

The buck kill in 2020 was 38,785 , the archery/ crossbow kill in 2020 was 31,594 and was buck heavy. You do the math .

I think it would be foolish not to be looking at that. I had other commissioners expressing the same concern to me at last meeting .

23-Nov-21
Why is it a big deal? Money doesn’t matter if you want big bucks.

24-Nov-21
Crossbows are almost as easy as a rifle. You want dead deer you got it. If the crossbow kill was buck heavy and you want bigger bucks then stop the crossbows. I’m no deer biologist but duh

25-Nov-21
Wow - never had a problem getting stuff from DNR . I always asked and normally in a few days I got an email back.

As to crossbows and all these deer being killed according to the numbers that isn’t happening. I must admit I was shocked by that as well - I seriously thought much more would be killed.

Since 2000 up until last year about 1000 more bucks are killed each year. I was shocked as well when I heard that number. In 2000 around 18,400 bucks were killed now it 19,400. Oh for those wondering the total bow kill for deer in 2000 was 30700+ and in 2020 it was 31500+. I think this sort of shows that at least archery is staying stable at least.

So once again the facts are that since around 2000 up until 2020 the gun season rifle harvest has decline by more 60,000 and the archery went up by 1000. Some of ya can say it was for this reason or that reason but the fact is the buck harvest has dropped drastically.

25-Nov-21
Hmm, that’s interesting

• Sitka Gear