hickstick 03-Feb-24
Lunker 03-Feb-24
Jebediah 03-Feb-24
Jebediah 04-Feb-24
01-Jan-22
Now that hunting is done...

Who's doing it?

When do you start tapping?

I collected a few things as they became available last year. Namely taps with preattached hoses...but I gotta get some food grade buckets with lids.

01-Jan-22
Yup, we’ll be at it again. Have fun! We typically tap around Jan 20. You can get 5 gal icing buckets with lids from grocery store bakery. For free, but you have to wash them out.

01-Jan-22
I haven't made syrup in a few years. When I was doing I'd normally tap in early february. I used Jeb's recommendation on icing buckets. Grocery stores are happy to give them away. I still go to grocery stores whenever I need 5 gallon buckets for a variety of tasks.

01-Jan-22
Icing buckets—it’s my only trick. Also the only thing I taught my children.

02-Jan-22
Probably not doing it, but excited to see others tapping trees. How's a warm winter (if this continues warm) impact it?

04-Jan-22
Scaling back small tubing operation this year but still plan on hanging a few buckets, or spring water gallon jugs, also will probably be thinning out (giving away) some equipment if anyone wants to give it a try, ( pump, tubing, accessories). Send me a PM if interested, zone 11.

04-Jan-22
I stopped into a local sap house last March to learn about it. Pretty neat. I knew of the guy who heads it up and he was informative. I caught up with him just before Christmas and volunteered to help. He said the taps go in about third week of Feb. no tubing all buckets…..1400 of them. Should be fun…..

04-Jan-22
Timing depends hugely on geography/location/elevation. Further north, higher up, they will always start later. 1400 buckets would kill me.

05-Jan-22
Pro that will be cool. Jeb - do you tube it to a central tank, then pump the tank to bring the sap to the boiler?

05-Jan-22
We use disposable bags, no tubing. But we’ve never done more that 100 trees.

06-Jan-22
I tap about 50 most years and I'm hoping to expand that this year. There is a property that I has a long maple lined driveway that runs down hill that I'm going to ask for permission to tap their trees. If that goes well maybe I'll ask about hunting it as well ;)

I usually tap in mid February as I have am at the Miami Boatshow for work during the second week of Feb.

I'm in eastern Z10 if anyone wants to come by and check out the set up when its boiling time. Made 10 gallons last year and hoping to make a bit more this year.

sam

06-Jan-22
We used to do a couple dozen trees when we first got into it years ago. Now we just do about half a dozen sugar maples in a grove in the front of our house and boil once every week or two. Despite the warm weather lately I don't usually tap until the last week of January or first week of Feb. Bought a "lifetime supply" of blue bags about 8 years ago that are still going strong.

06-Jan-22
"as I have am at the Miami Boatshow for work during the second week of Feb."

Man, I really blew it with my career choices. Only place I get to go is Omaha in the winter. Bleeech...

07-Jan-22
After 26 years of that show, I'd rather just stay home, but its certainly better than Omaha.

07-Jan-22
Sams, bring a fishing pole and fish before/after the show if you can... the salt down there is FANTASTIC fun!

10-Jan-22
I lived in Lauderdale for 7 or so years and fished a lot down there. The amount of fishing you can do is amazing from the back country of the Glades to swordfishing out in the Straights. I have walked around with a rod in the past, but after trying to fish bridges from land that I have had lots of success on from a boat gets very frustrating very quickly. Maybe I'll give it another shot this year, but I'll probably just get in and get out.

sam

05-Jan-23
TTT for 2023. who's getting ready to tap? how much will this warm weather effect production/yield and quality???

05-Jan-23

hickstick's embedded Photo
I ended last season with somewhere arround 3.5 to 4 quarts, and I could have tapped a few more trees but kept it small.

05-Jan-23
Counting the days. Squirrel hunting is a stop-gap. Used to start around Jan 20 in eastern MA, and now the locals tell me to start mid-Feb in NH. Everyone makes syrup up here—every single person—man, woman, and child. Even some dogs.

05-Jan-23
Getting the stuff ready now. We made about 10 of those larger jars last year hick. Could have boiled a bit more tho. This year we’ll tap more trees and see what we can come up with. Also, we fell behind on the sugar shack build because we did a shed first which took longer than planned to get the lumber milled. But in spring we will be pouring Pilings and building a little/medium/way to big but why the hell not sugar shack!

05-Jan-23
Funny. There was a story on WMUR Tuesday night that the warm weather we have had has the sap flowing. There was an outfit in Vermont that claimed to have already pulled 100,000 gallons of sap.

05-Jan-23
Holy shit that’s a lot of sap

05-Jan-23
You can break off a twig to see if it’s running. Interesting if it’s running now. Might have to fire up the drill.

05-Jan-23
Looking at the highs/lows, it sure does look like it could be running. The trees really don’t have a calendar.

06-Jan-23
True Jeb.. Very true

12-Jan-23
anyone start tapping yet? I was thinking of getting started on Sunday.

12-Jan-23
I have a maple in my front yard that just pisses sap on sunny days. Literally thought it was raining one day. I will be tapping it soon.

25-Jan-23
With the weather being moderately temperate in the long range forecast, when do some of you start your taps?

25-Jan-23
In MA we would tap pretty faithfully on Jan 20. Often there would be one more big freeze after that, but I don’t think it did any harm.

25-Jan-23
That is eastern MA, importantly.

28-Jan-23
Okay...a little late but just got 4 trees tapped, 6 more to go, but I want to switch those from the old metal spiles & buckets to plastic...gotta run out and grab a couple more buckets (already have the spiles & tubing)

28-Jan-23

MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
Unfortunately I think this will be maple syrup time this year

28-Jan-23
A little late, but I got 4 maples tapped this morning, and 4 more this afternoon. Already collected over a gallon of sap! It's flowing fast.

28-Jan-23
I better get out there and tap my trees. I’ll test some tomorrow.

28-Jan-23
Sap is low in sugar at this time. Best to wait.

28-Jan-23
Low in sugar…. So good for diabetics?! Lol

28-Jan-23
Pro....i went back and checked and it's actually 2 weeks later than I tapped the last two winters and that syrup came out fantastic tasting and right on ratio.

29-Jan-23
Hickstick you keep records? That’s impressive!

01-Feb-23

free is free - two truckloads
free is free - two truckloads
8# maul does wonders.
8# maul does wonders.
did my first boil last night. Already had 15 gallons of sap, boiled down 10 gallons to a few quarts over wood, then will finish it tonight on the range. While getting the boil started I decided to stay warm by splitting up some free wood I got from a neighbor of my mom. some of it is oak, some maple and some seems like cherry.

01-Feb-23

hickstick's Link
and the yotes decided to keep me company while I boiled...

01-Feb-23
Holy crap that sounds like the jungle! lol.

02-Feb-23
BTW ended up with 1 quart from the first boil (10 gallons of sap, 5 is hours over the fire pit, another 1.5 on the stove to finish. I'm thinking about putting together a 55 gallon drum evaporator to make it more efficient.

02-Feb-23
I think we are going to tap on the 12th. Quite a bit of snow up here, going to be tough. Won’t be pretty, but come hell or high water, we’re making syrup.

03-Feb-23
Bummer it got cold like this - does a cold snap stop sap running for more than a couple days? Next week seems like it would be good.

Hick - love it. Such a crazy cool sound.

03-Feb-23
Real bummer it got cold….work outta be busy…

03-Feb-23
Real bummer it got cold….work outta be busy…

03-Feb-23
Yup, Nick I'm sure theres gonna be a few burst pipes in your future.

Yea Will, the sap stopped flowing tuesday night. it should pick back up again on Sunday.

06-Feb-23
Boiled another 6-7 gallons yesterday. battling the wind yesterday sucked, I definitely need to build an evaporator so if anyone out there has a 30 gallon steel drum they aren't using let me know.

I finally learned a good lesson though and instead of killing my boil by dumping cold sap into the already boiling sap to top it off I used another pan to melt what had frozen over Friday & Saturday, and warm it up before dumping it into the evaporation pan....

06-Feb-23
Starting tapping in NH today, should be interesting.

06-Feb-23
Hick, I have a few empty 55 gallon drums if you or anybody else needs them

06-Feb-23

Oy. Just loaded into my truck about 90 gallons worth of heat treated lumber scrap from an intl shipping crate manufacturer, and then unloaded. And then collected 5 gallons of sap.

09-Feb-23
Hick, what’s your experience with how these maples drip sap? I tapped some trees Sunday and they started dripping Monday. One day I’ll get a pint from one tree and 1/2 a gallon from another. The next day one tree barely drips and another will leak a lot. But nothing like I expected. Is this normal?

09-Feb-23
Very normal Kyle. Depends on the tree, the temps everything. I’m not master but I’ve found that you can’t guarantee which tree will drop a lot what day. No matter the temps lol

09-Feb-23
Typically a maple with a large crown and good sun exposure will produce the best.

09-Feb-23
It is tough to figure Blood. Some trees really give it some don’t. We’ve had trees with three buckets on them be full one day and and then two days later nothing much. The key you want is temps. Ideal 28 at nite high 30’sday. You get a cold snap and they shut right down. It’s still early. We’ve got a good foot of snow on ground up here and it’s tight to the trunks. Those trees are frozen. Not ready.

10-Feb-23
Fond memories of drinking the sweet cold sap out of the buckets as a kid. Warm day in the spring and the buckets were full all you could drink. The road up the hill to the house was lined with huge sugar maples 3-5 bucks on some of the real big ones. Lot of work to making syrup. I think the sap run is all temperature driven with some trees producing more than others. Harvesting nature's bounty can be rewarding in many ways.

10-Feb-23

it will sort of look like this with two big holes on top to sit the pans in.
it will sort of look like this with two big holes on top to sit the pans in.
like this with domed ends instead of flat.
like this with domed ends instead of flat.
Blood, looks like you already got your answers. I'm no were near even an intermediate in syruping. this is only my 3rd year. a couple things I've noticed or noted over the years relating to sap flow are 1) trees exposure to the sun 2) species 3) timing.

by 1) I mean how crowded it is. all of my trees are around my yard and the ones that produce the best happen to be in the wide open so they get direct sunlight all the way up the trunk. and I guess a 1b would be what side you tap, I seem to get way better flow tapping the south side of the tree and I think its due to the sun exposure/warmth

2) some species flow at different timing eg my Norway Maples flow earlier than my Red Maples but as you noted....some days the norways will shut down and the reds are crankin.... so 3) is kind of a hit or miss thing...which also relates to your location/region. I've been collecting and boiling for a couple weeks here in Central MA, but others haven't even tapped yet, or are just starting.

The big thing I'm excited about is I just picked up a scrap Well Tank (water pressure tank) from FB Marketplace to convert into a 'barrel' style evaporator. this type is one big chamber (approx 30" by 24") with a rubber diaphram and a liner, so All I have to do is cut into it and remove the liner and diaphram. My plan is to cut the base ring off and then half it to make feet to be welded back on the bottom. Cut holes for the pans on the top and use the waste pieces to make a shelf for 'warming' trays toward the back/exhaust pipe, and cut out the 'part that is normally the bottom' to make the door and tack on some make shift hinges and a latch.

10-Feb-23
Thanks all. This is really cool stuff. I emptied my containers last night and there wasn’t much after sitting for 24 hours. I wake up this morning and take a peak….and some are almost full…. I’m amazed. I’m going to start a boil this afternoon.

10-Feb-23
I forgot to set my alarm this morning so I didn't get a chance to check before work but I'll check when I get home. I collected about 4.75 gallons Tuesday-Wednesday from my 9 taps

11-Feb-23

Started work on the EZvap2000 today. Started with cutting off the base ring with a angle grinder. And unfortunately ended up smoking my 20+ year old grinder in the process. So I ended up using a carburundum blade in my circular saw and my sawzall.

Then drew a rough center line around the whole tank, measured, drew & then cut out the door off the front. And marked and cut out the holes for the pans. Leaving about an inch and a half connected at each end to bend down to make flanges for the pans to sit on.

And, lastly cut out a 4 inch hole for the chimeney pipe.

Now I gotta get a new grinder and clean up all tge cut edges, get the pans to sit a little better, and weld on the feet. My plan is to take the base ring and cut it in half diameter wise, and use each semi circle as a set of legs.

I was hoping to have enough space to add a warming pan across the back, which I don't so I'm going to have to fabricate a stand or rack that will sit adjacent to the chimeney.

11-Feb-23
This is really crazy stuff. Yesterday most of my trees were leaking quite a lot. Today….they barely dripped all day.

11-Feb-23
It's not just temp, Blood. Barometric pressure effects sap flow as well. Today was high pressure, and it flows better on low pressure days....(the pressure outside the trunk has to be lower than the pressure inside the tree.

11-Feb-23
Thanks Hick! That explains a lot. I almost boiled down about 10 gallons yesterday and today, I’ll finish this batch in the morning. I was hoping this upcoming week produces a lot more sap so I can boil by Friday again.

12-Feb-23

I boiled 15 Gallons in about 5 hours today. Having the warming pans made a hell of a difference. Can't wait to get the barrel evaporator going for comparison.

13-Feb-23
Super cool set up Hick. Does the really warm weather mess with the sap flow/volume/taste?

13-Feb-23
I don't think it will mess with the taste of the final product unless the tree's buds start opening earlier than they normally would. apparently the chemistry in the sap changes when the buds start opening.

however, if you collect a bunch of sap and let it sit outside in the warm temps continually it will definitely spoil. so when its super warm...like Wednesday - Thursday this week where the temps aren't supposed to drop below 50 degrees even at night...it could be bad for the sap. (ideally you don't want the sap to get warmer than 38 degrees). what most folks do on abnormal warm spells in pack a bunch of snow around their buckets to keep it cool...unfortunately we haven't had snow on the ground here for a while. I may have to go by the hockey rink and fill up a couple coolers with zamboni snow. LOL

As for Flow...it should flow better, but pressure also comes into play. the pressure outside the tree needs to be lower than the pressure inside the tree.

13-Feb-23

Blood's embedded Photo
Tastes like syrup :)
Blood's embedded Photo
Tastes like syrup :)
Here’s what I got. A pint and a half of nice dark amber. This stuff is so intriguing…..last year I tapped many of the same trees but later - the first week of March - and I got a super light final product. But I got a ton more sap. Tons more.

My trees barely have dripped the last three days…. I was hoping to get another batch in later this week…..but I have no idea when or if they’ll drip any more with this super warm weather for the next 10 days ??

13-Feb-23
Also, re:effiency....having all that free dried lumber scrap was incredible. its mostly pine thats kiln dried AND heat treated (for NeLMA crates), so it burns fast and hot, so I was adding pine and hardwood throughout and that made for a steady hot fire and I never lost the boil at all. I think it will be even better inside the evaporator arch.

14-Feb-23
finished boiling in a little over an hour last night on the cooktop so I was super close to finishing over the fire on Sunday......ended up with 2 full quarts plus topped off another quart jar.

14-Feb-23
Zone 11 tapped 25 on saturday, heat wave has my swamp reds dry as a bone, need a reset before buds are out. Hey Jebediah, you having any luck in your southern Plot? -this weather is unbelievable.

14-Feb-23
How much yield per gallon of sap? 10-15%?

14-Feb-23

14-Feb-23
Brian - I am at about the 40 gallons of sap for one gallon of syrup. I’ve heard some trees/areas could be more or less.

14-Feb-23
Am in NH now, have 80 tapped, 100% red. Still pretty early here, but they’re running a little.

14-Feb-23
Brian, I have 11 trees tapped now. I have only gotten 7 gallons of sap in the last 9 days. I’ve gotten zero sap in the last 4 days. I think it’s over here and the weather isn’t helping any.

15-Feb-23
Blood, I have 9 taps in 8 trees (6 reds and 2 norway) I collected and boiled 15 gallons on sunday, collected another 4 gallons monday evening. I only got to check one bucket (one of the norways) last night and just have it a 'schwish' and it felt like about half a gallon. ...however three of my Reds haven't produced hardly anything. I have one red and 2 norway that are going gangbusters. they are the ones with the most sun exposure, the trees fighting for sunlight aren't flowing well.

15-Feb-23
I have all silver maples. I’m also in central/southern CT. Maybe a little of this rain coming in later this week will force the trees to get moving again??

15-Feb-23
That my friends is a labor of love . I completely understand doing something so labor intensive for so seemingly little in return. Kinda like Hunting and Processing Deer. Remove yourself from the monetary and focus on the process and quality. I think there is way more satisfaction in Homemade for sure. Now you need the sap to run! Kinda early no? I woulda guessed late feb -march, but i am no sapper.

15-Feb-23
Do the different trees have their own flavor, like honey from different flowers?

15-Feb-23
That’s a great question. Our neighbors used to make honey, and it tasted totally different from what you get in the store. Actually the neighbors bees made the honey, not the neighbors themselves.

16-Feb-23
Brian...I would say yes, every tree would have their own chemistry, but I'm going to say that the product is reduced so much into something like 65% sugar that that is pretty much all you're going to taste. I have heard that sap boiled over wood fueled evaporators tastes more smokey than those commercial syrups made over fuel oil burners

17-Feb-23
The smoke flavor from the fire can be a bit strong for pancakes. I like less smokey

17-Feb-23
Best destination for syrup, in my opinion, is vanilla ice cream. My physique reflects this.

17-Feb-23
That would be 'vehicle' Jeb, not 'destination'. The destination is your belly, the ice cream is how it gets there.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Lol

17-Feb-23
I don’t if you guys ever drank birch sap but it tastes a bit like root beer. That would make a great syrup.

18-Feb-23
There is such a thing as birch syrup. I’ve been told birch sap starts running just about the time maple sap stops. Supposedly birch sap has lower sugar concentration than maple, would make boiling kind of brutal.

19-Feb-23

Did the first fire in the evaporator to burn the paint off and see how it boiled. Used the pan lids in place of my pans cause I didn't want to get paint flakes in it. Got most of the paint off and the boil was solid.

Lots of folks say to add a blower but I didn't seem to have an issue keeping the boil going...but I brought my Forge blower home anyway just in case.

20-Feb-23
oh and finally, the Norway Maples are running full steam but the reds are still bone dry. got almost 4 gallons from both Norways alone yesterday.

20-Feb-23

Crazy...buds are already opening on my reds I added a couple more taps on my norway maples to eek out a few more gallons I hope. Boiled just under ten gallons tonight in three hours on the barrel evaporator. had it reduced enough to bring inside to finish.

21-Feb-23
Jeb, the vanilla ice cream post is a good observation. Chocolate syrup and caramel also especially good but there are other toppings , many others. And so little time ,lol.

21-Feb-23
Butterscotch. I have a great relationship with butterscotch.

21-Feb-23

Jebediah's embedded Photo
From my eclectic photo archive, I have this image illustrating just some of the many ice cream topping options. The fruit ones aren’t to be dismissed. Concerning syrup—the snow has melted enough that we can get into the woods easily now. Hoping to get in our last 20 taps today for 100 total. We never do more than this, because 100 seems to be the tipping point between fun and work.

21-Feb-23
Can't believe I left out butterscotch .

21-Feb-23
Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream is the best.

Unrelated to the thread, but, for any of you in the central MA area, Rota Spring Farm in Sterling opens Saturday March 4. THAT, is some goooood ice cream!

21-Feb-23
Mmmmm…. Rota….

22-Feb-23

Quick video of my evaporator in action Monday night. Not super happy with the warming pan setup, but my old forge blower worked like a charm keeping the fire roaring. once I get the black chimney pipe in later this week, I'm gonna have to think about an alterative location for the warming pans. thinking of notching out my campfire grate and dropping it down over the chimney and sort of suspend the pans over the back end of the barrel and adjacent to the chimney pipe.

23-Feb-23

lol....what a difference a year makes. I just got a FB memory from Feb 23, 2022 of me saying that I was overflowing with sap. over the last 5 days I've barely eeked out 4 gallons.

23-Feb-23
First collection yesterday, pretty slim.

23-Feb-23
How will the cold's return impact you guys? Sort of "re-start" things as things thaw?

24-Feb-23
I hope so. We’ve had years with some good runs followed by a prolonged freeze, and then it starts right back up again afterward.

24-Feb-23
yea, Will...the freeze wont really do anything except sometimes the freeze plugs up the tubing, but as soon as that thaws it starts flowing again.

27-Feb-23

disappointing season so far for me. although I posted on reddit and folks are saying to stick with it...so, I'm not gonna pull my taps until I know the sap stops flowing.

collected ~3 gallons of frozen sap pucks from the previous week. will wait for a warm up this week to collect some more before I boil again.

28-Feb-23
I’ve gotten zero sap in over 3 1/2 weeks. 11 trees tapped. No sap. I can’t imagine it will just magically start happening again.

Do you suggest perhaps tapping the trees again just to see if they drip later this week with the temps being what they’ll be?

01-Mar-23
Blood, have you removed the spiles? if so, it might not be good to reinsert them. you could be introducing bacteria into the hole.

if the spiles are still in, no harm in still collecting.

what the folks on the reddit board are saying is to avoid 'buddy' sap/syrup....collect it and boil a couple cups full on your stovetop to check the flavor....if it tastes good boil the whole batch, if its off tasting just dump the whole batch and wait til next year.

01-Mar-23
I haven’t removed anything. Just was wondering if you pop a new hole, would the trees leak again?

01-Mar-23
the holes wont 'seal' for a year plus, so if the holes you already drilled aren't flowing, chances are that new holes wont either. I literally had some of my trees weep a little out of last years holes back in January.

in other words. I would not recommend adding new holes...especially if you have smaller trees. every hole you add is more stress on the tree.

05-Mar-23
Hey! I got back from a 5 day business trip early this morning and checked the trees…..and they’re crying again! They are very very sad! Amazing…..

05-Mar-23

I boiled 20 freaking gallons today. Oy...exhausting.

06-Mar-23
That’s allot of boiling hick

08-Mar-23
Well up north we are starting up finally. 1300 buckets are up in three days. Final 100 tomorrow ...

08-Mar-23
I can’t imagine 1400 buckets.

08-Mar-23
How many people?

08-Mar-23
4 Jeb.

Just kidding I have no idea… that’s a lot of buckets lol

08-Mar-23
I got crocuses up here that should be a good sign

09-Mar-23
Yup 4 of us tapped and hung them all. Now we have to catch up on emptying them….some are overflowing.

09-Mar-23
Pretty remarkable, particularly with the snow. That’s a few tough days, in my estimation. I tapped mid-Feb, too early, lesson learned.

09-Mar-23
Yes the snow has been deep. I’ve been in bed by 730 each nite lol.

10-Mar-23
Holy syrup bat man

10-Mar-23
yikes....I feel bad for complaining about my 11 taps now! LOL. I'm preparing one last boil this weekend depending on the weather. then I'm pulling everything.

10-Mar-23

here's what the last 20 gallons boiled down to.

10-Mar-23
Is that Cleveland whisky I see Hick!?

10-Mar-23
We put 1500 gallons in the Sap House today and we’re boiling

10-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo

10-Mar-23
Holy crap pro….do you guys go around on sleds with trailers emptying all the buckets into a bigger bucket? You can’t do it all on foot that’s insane..

10-Mar-23
We have a trailer with 325 gallon galvanized tank on it. We each carry two 5 gallon buckets and go each tree and dump the pails into the 5 gallon buckets. Days like today 3 tree buckets fill the 2 5 gallon buckets

10-Mar-23
Damn…that’s more work than being at work! That’s a serious operation.

10-Mar-23
What pulls the tank? A tractor?

10-Mar-23
Yes a Kubota. I enjoy it. A lot of folks come by to see the operation each year. The only part I don’t much like is washing and drying those 1400 buckets when we are done!

10-Mar-23
Uh huh. We switched to bags several years ago. No more bucket washing. 1400 I don’t even want to think about.

10-Mar-23
Pro you guys actually let people come by and check it out? I’d be super interested in checking it out with my oldest. We did our own little syrup thing last year but never had a chance this year.

10-Mar-23
Nick. The bottle in the background? No, it's the walnut oil I use on my carved Spoons & cups.

11-Mar-23
Yes people stop bye to see things periodically. Next weekend is the annual sap weekend and I believe the public is welcome at most operations. Lot of syrup gets sold.

11-Mar-23
https://nhmapleproducers.com/maple-weekend-2/

11-Mar-23
Which one are you associated with pro?

11-Mar-23
Actually not on that link. Hunters sugar house rt 171 Tuftonboro/Moultonboro town line

11-Mar-23
Pro, I assume with that much volume you run a RO system??? I'm thinking about making one over the summer for next season so I can RO during the week and boil on the weekends.

12-Mar-23
Nope. This is old school. Runs the same way it did 101years ago when they started. The tank on the trailer is gravity unloaded into a 900 gallon storage tank in the back of the sap house. Then fed into the evaporator which sits on top of the fire box. We burn a cord of wood a day. I’ll get some pictures together in the next couple days and post some. Six AM off to the house….

12-Mar-23
Damn….a cord of wood a day… holy crap Batman…..

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Here is the tank we dump into

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Here is the tank we dump into

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Gravity fed Into 900 gallon tank in back of sap house

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Collecting sap

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Boiling

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo
Bottling

12-Mar-23

Proline's embedded Photo
Proline's embedded Photo

12-Mar-23
Fantastic!

12-Mar-23
We are going to collect shortly, I think we have about 100 gal from 100 taps. For us, that’s a good day!

12-Mar-23
That’s awesome pro!

12-Mar-23
Do you know how many gallons per hour that setup can boil?

12-Mar-23
Next weekend on Sunday me the wife and the kids are heading up to a sugar shack in NH for the syrup weekend… no idea which one, gotta look at the list. If anyone’s got a recommendation let me know!

13-Mar-23
Jeb in good weather we can get 300 gallons thru in 4 to 5 hrs. But if low pressure like tomorrow will be that slows it down.

13-Mar-23
Wow!

13-Mar-23
So approaching 75 gallons per hour. I paid attention in math class. Apples-to-oranges comparison, but our crude system can do 20 gallons per hour at peak efficiency. And peak efficiency is rare.

13-Mar-23
Are you still doing a cinderblock arch, Jeb?

I really need to improve the efficiency of my barrel evaporator when the season is over. I'm running around 2.5-3gph right now. these are my improvement ideas

1) I'm thinking about a 24x24 evaporator flat pan so the whole top of the barrel is covered.

2) replace the chimney stack with one that has a damper in it to hold more heat under the pans

3) run a pipe tuyere under the fire, so the air blows vertically up towards the pans rather than towards the back/out the chimney.

and lastly, thinking about a small RO system to concentrate the sap when I'm not boiling. Since I'm backyard boiling its kind of weather & daylight dependent.

13-Mar-23
Yes, 12 pans on 36 cinder blocks, it’s a sight to behold…

14-Mar-23
well....I just "did a thing". lol I ordered a 24x18 flat pan for my barrel evaporator, and ordered the components to build a small RO system. bit late for this season but the RO components should be in by friday, and the pan in by monday. I might get some use out of them. LOL.

17-Mar-23
Got my RO Membrane and sediment filter along with the pressure gauge yesterday. just waiting on the pump and the needle valve set to deliver tonight. then I can get this 30 gallons reduced and start boiling. may be my last boil of 2023. most of my trees the sap is starting to darken. and slow to a trickle.

17-Mar-23
Dark sap makes dark syrup. Love it!

18-Mar-23

hickstick's Link
Got the new 24x18x6 pan from Silver Creek and retrofit it to the barrel. There are some gaps that I will need to seal up. Sealed some temporarily with kaowool. But was able to down down 15 gallons. Need to rethink the warming pans as they didn't warm at all.

Tge stuff to assemble the RO didn't arrive til late so I still have to get that assembled.

22-Mar-23
Sap is still flowing well here. We are at 164 gallons and ahead of last year at this date. Had 41 first graders in today for a field trip. Good fun.

22-Mar-23

hickstick's Link
Awesome Pro. All my trees but 2 have stopped.

I built my reverse osmosis system over the weekend and condensed 25 gallons down to 10 over the last couple days. I need to get out and boil it before it spoils.

22-Mar-23

Final boil of 2023.10 gallons of concentrate.

Now thati have the RO built, and the 24x18 pan, 2024 should be a bomber year!

22-Mar-23

Final boil of 2023.10 gallons of concentrate.

Now thati have the RO built, and the 24x18 pan, 2024 should be a bomber year!

26-Mar-23
Looking good. You have dough into it! We had the state stop in Friday and certify. The warm weather has slowed the sap down to nothing. This week looks good for the final push.

27-Mar-23
What do they do concerning certification? What are the criteria?

27-Mar-23
I'm assuming that they check your Temperature and Hydrometer equipment to make sure they are accurate since it needs to be 66.8 brix to be 'food safe'. but that's just a guess.

02-Apr-23

Boiling today, nice and sunny.

02-Apr-23
Jeb. Is that snow??? WTF. Lol I def don’t want to move to NH. I am walking around with the dogs in my shorts down here and pissed cuz one of the dogs is rolling in dead worms from yesterdays rain !!!

02-Apr-23
Still 8 inches in my yard.

02-Apr-23

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Ran up to Vermont today

02-Apr-23
Roadside trees are the best. Oftentimes more productive than a tree in the woods.

03-Apr-23
Spent the afternoon Saturday (after the rain) disassembling the evaporator and stowing it away. and then most of the day yesterday cleaning and sterilizing all the buckets, tubing, spiles and pans, and double wrapping in plastic for storage. it took forever to get the thick black creosote and carbon from the undersides of all the pans off. used vinegar+baking soda and scotchbrite and that got about half, but had to bust out steel scrubber to get the heaviest off. lots of elbow grease too.

THEN I saw a video of a guy using one of those propane weed burners to basically bake it off, like the 'self cleaning' on an oven. damn I wish I had seen that sooner. lol. oh well....will have to remember that for next year.

03-Apr-23
Cleanup sure is the least fun. Used to live near a “community farm,” and they had a day camp where parents could pay a few hundred dollars to send their kids to wash sap buckets. We used to joke that they could come and wash our buckets for free. Also this day camp was in July/August, which raises certain questions about syrup-production hygiene.

04-Apr-23
always one of my favorite threads of the year

04-Apr-23
Aaah. The dreaded washing. We are doing our final collection morning as we are pretty much out of wood and then start taking down those 1,400 buckets, lids and spouts.

05-Apr-23
Noob, they are warning folks against using those old galvi buckets, many of them where sealed with a lead solder, one of the reasons most folks have switched over to plastics.

I do have a few aluminum buckets/lids that resemble the old traditional ones, but they require a bigger hole in the tree which I don't like doing. they also don't seal the bucket...they are more like a rain cover...and they were always getting full of bark/dirt and bugs in the sap.

05-Apr-23
Took everything down today, strange year, a new learning curve in a new environment. But we made some syrup.

05-Apr-23
Hick everything I hear about lead solder being so bad and this is that and take the to tinyest little bit of lead out of everything is so god damn stupid. The Federal Government took .05% of lead out of brass fitting, ball valves, drip tees, faucets etc. know what held those together for the last 50 years? .05% of lead. We use to put ball valves in and they’d last forever. Check valves the same. Everything. Now, 2-3-4 years later all the brass is already pitting because theres no lead holding everything together keeping it from leaking. It’s the stupidest thing ever. 100 years ago people drank from lead pipes. Was it safe to make and work on? No. Neither is asbestos and fiberglass insulation which causes the same scar tissue in your lungs, but there’s no alternative to that so, we can’t say anything bad about it yet. Old timers drank from lead pipes and lived to be 100. We all drank from garden hoses outside and survived now they basically tell you in school if it’s not poland springs it’s not safe. The tiny amount of lead in those buckets will not contaminate you and ruin your maple syrup and kill the consumers lol.

05-Apr-23
So I just read through this post and I would like a final grade on how the sap season was this year. I’m talking production only. Just chime in and let me know if you thought it was good, great, poor or average. I’m going to try to tie this information into other natural occurring seasonal cycles like spring rainfall amounts, seasonal allergies and more. Just looking to see if there is any related variables for better predictions. Thanks guys

05-Apr-23
I did not keep accurate records Longbeard. but annecdotally it was a 'Meh' season. the big warm up in February where we had several consecutive days where it never dropped below 50*F really limited the volume. I did make more syrup than last year but I also increased the amount of taps from 8 to 15 and trees from 8 to 10...so its hard to get an apples to apples comparison.

I was expecting more yield.

05-Apr-23
X2 MA-PA. The sap isn’t even in the bucket long enough to make it an issue. If it was I’m sure the State would shut it down.

05-Apr-23
Scott my line of work and “cast brass” fitting we use now has turned to COMPLETE SHIT. You can see just in the color difference. Even soldering the new stuff. New kids can’t solder it. And some of my younger guys have a hard time to because the never truly “learned” to solder. And if you over heat this new crap you burn it up and the flux and solder won’t take. At all. It’s ridiculious. All the Propress ball valves and fittings are the same. Fortunately those seem to be holding a bit longer before corrosion.

06-Apr-23
its not just the direct contact in the water/sap guys, its the accumulation in the environment. We're currently going through hell right now re engineering our device so we can sell it into the international market, trying to meet the REACH and RoHS requirements for everything. same thing with lead paint and lead fishing weights. everyone needs to adapt to new tech when new discoveries are made.

although...i'd definitely venture to guess, too many of 'us' ate a few too many lead paint chips when we were kids. lol

29-Nov-23

trying to get a jump on the season prep work. picked up these bad boys last week after work. 20 gallon, food safe, locking lid. just need a warm day to sanitize them. they should make collecting the sap from my moms tree and the ones on the farm I got permission to collect from much easier. the other duty is the R/O system. instead of doing them 5 gallon buckets at a time.

I also need do some repair work and modifications to my barrel evaporator before it gets too cold to weld outside. lol I wanted to do it this summer but my buzzbox stick welder was giving me fits.

29-Nov-23
Hick - are you going to sell some (Syrup)? If so, sign me up.

30-Nov-23
It will be here before you know it…

30-Nov-23
Hick by my estimations you need 12 more barrels to fulfill all the orders you’ll have haha

30-Nov-23
Hick by my estimations you need 12 more barrels to fulfill all the orders you’ll have haha

01-Dec-23
and I'll need to tap all the maples between here and NC. lol

01-Jan-24
With the closing of most local hunting seasons (yote, and CT/RI excepting of course), my thoughts now turn to two things sugaring and shooting my bow. And I did work for both today.

I finally sterilized the three 19 gallon barrels I posted earlier. Split a 5 or 6 rounds of hemlock that was dead-standing. I was originally hoping to burn it in the evaporator but i think I'll let it air out a bit. Ill use the ash, oak, and maple i have from last year, and save this stuff for the fire pit.

And I've shot my bow a couple times now. I'm back at it and have leads on a farm in the Binghamton NY area for hunting, so I gotta start now and get my chops back up for the fall.

A little nervous about the sap season though. We've yet to have a deep freeze and this entire week looks to be highs in the 40s. We could really use some actual winter weather.

02-Jan-24
We are going to scale back on the syrup this year. Can’t sell it up here as we did in Mass, really, because the whole state is awash in maple syrup. Regardless, it’ll be a fun project, always something to look forward to.

02-Jan-24
Hick, Binghamton is a good are man. Hope it works out! Your about 1:20 south on 88 from our place out there!

03-Jan-24
Just read that Parker Maple in NY has already produced something like 2000 gallons (not sap—syrup). And it’s January 3rd…

03-Jan-24
they're way up by the Canada border...sounds like they caught a little bit of 'fall run' but nothings flowing there since Christmas. they are definitely in a different climate than me. lol

03-Jan-24
Probably sucking it out of trees with vacuums

04-Jan-24
agreed on the weather- hard freeze and some snow will help. I took last year off sugaring - but going to get after it full tilt this year again.

04-Jan-24
I can remember hunting parts of Vt. that had systems of plastic tubing for collecting sap running downhill for quite a distance. Looked kinda weird until I knew what it was.

05-Jan-24
Yes BD....most places that run either Vacuum or Gravity feed tubing, leave them up all year and just connect the spile/tube to the main line & tree when tapping in December/January. It takes too long to run new main lines or branch lines to do it only during tapping season. they will replace them every couple years as sunlight and freeze/thaw take (not to mention falling branches) take their toll.

27-Jan-24
Well. Probably a couple days early but I've got 8 trees tapped with 13 spiles today. Mix of Red and Norway. And sap in the buckets too.

I have a few more Norway maples on the farm that I am waiting for permission on.

Last year I tapped 1/28 and was done by mid March, with buds open on my trees.

29-Jan-24

And so it begins...this is just from one Norway Maple tapped Saturday afternoon. and a spilled a little trying to dump the tap bucket into the carry bucket without unhooking it. lol

03-Feb-24

As of yesterday I had 13 gallons of sap (testedto 3.3 brix), collected over the week. So I had to revive my reverse osmosis from its state of preservative....ran it last night and removed 5 gallons of pure water (tested at 0.0 brix). The remaining concentrated sap was around 5 brix...it was hard to see the hydrometer way down in the 22 gallon barrel.

So today I pulled the evaporator out of storage and rebuilt it. Tomorrow is 1st boil of the year.

03-Feb-24
May b yous fellers should start a new thread. Say "tappen 2024" just a thought.

03-Feb-24
Going to tap this coming week, just doing 30 this year. Hopefully a little less of a death march. Still plenty of syrup from last year, but I don’t want to skip this year altogether.

04-Feb-24
Urbanhunter, are you the guy that does 400 buckets as a one-man operation? I can’t even imagine that.

• Sitka Gear