Catscratch 01-Jun-23
Ksgobbler 25-Aug-23
be still 26-Aug-23
11-Feb-23

be still's embedded Photo
Got Catscratch, his sons, and his friend on the way down this morning to do some snake hunting today. So yesterday afternoon I was scouting some possible snake dens.

Thought it being around 55 degrees would be cold enough that they would be back up under there aways. Came upon this one rock that looked pretty decent and got down on my knees and elbows and was shining my light underneath the ledge.

Off to the left there was a pretty good looking hole so I got right in front of it trying to shine back to see how far the hole went. Stayed there for a few seconds trying to see sign.

Soon as I started backing away I heard faint whisper of leaves and then that sound that will get your heart to thumping….rattling. Jumped backed like a little girl.

In this pic you’ll see little twigs on the outside of the den. He was laying right there and he was so camouflaged I didn’t see him. I had my left arm and elbow on the ground with my face and chin just inches off of the ground probably just a foot or so from him.

Had some close calls with them before but this one scared me because of how close my neck and head was to him. You don’t want to get bit anywhere but you sure don’t want to take one one to that area…that’s when you might not make it out of there.

So for all the people that go just make sure you check the ledges really close before bending down even in colder weather. Going to try to make damn sure I never make that mistake again. Got a video of him rattling after he got crawled back in there.

Before he did though was acting like he was wanting a piece of me so I gave him space. Good chance we’ll be grabbing him alive today and be putting him in a box hopefully with some more.

11-Feb-23
Sounds like a perfect way to get yourself a Darwin award....but let's hope none of you do!

11-Feb-23
Nice little pep talk bestill. A real confidence builder! :)

I've never been afraid of snakes but a couple of fatties buzzing at me might get the hebiegebies going! Going to be a fun trip!

11-Feb-23
We have a lot of timber rattlers in my AO. I avoid them the best I can.

11-Feb-23
Ha I didn’t tell you the whole story yesterday. Wanted you to get on your way down here first:?)

We’re never guaranteed tomorrow so guaranteed fun it will be today.

11-Feb-23
Ha! You could hage l have told us, wouldn't have changed anything. Looking forward to it. But... the wife has issued some serious threats if one of her baby boys gets bit!

11-Feb-23
No we will make sure they stay safe. They’ll be the last in line.

I’ll put you first in line to the ledge to check everything out since you love snakes:?)

11-Feb-23
Stay safe, boys! What are the plans for the snakes that you guys catch?

11-Feb-23

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Watch out for the weird ones?

11-Feb-23
I've yet to determine why I shouldn't kill every single poisonous snake I see.

11-Feb-23
Good camo but nothing has better camo than a copperhead, many strike after been stepped on.

12-Feb-23

Well it was a fun day. Troy I believe he might be making a hat band or something else out of it. He’s still thinking on it. I feel kinda of bad now cause we caught only one but at least it was the one that gave me a scare from the day before.

I hadn’t been snake hunting like this in about 10 years or so. Told em next time I’ll try and have some better dens picked out. There was a few good looking ones today that I thought would give us more snakes but nada.

The Kansas boys did a good job though. It took awhile to get this one. I kind of had giving up hope on the bottom hole where he was the day before so some of us had crawled up above to check and wait on a few holes from up above.

Told em to keep an eye out just in case and sure enough a little later Cat’s oldest boy said he had caught movement and had a snake in sight underneath the ledge. The snake never came out so one of them had to reach in there further than he really wanted with the rake to pull him out.

Lol now it did take awhile to get those Kansas boys to understand that it didn’t take 2 grabbers to put one snake in a bucket as neither one wanted to let go. They got brave though and off in the bucket it went with another Kansas dude slapping and screwing the lid shut.

12-Feb-23

Also had scouted this big hole from the day before. Could tell there was probably some tracks going in where some animal or animals had been using or denning in.

Now I don’t consider myself someone that scares easy outside but I think I have a little common sense. Told my Cousin’s boy about it and he thought he knew the hole and that him and his dad had crawled in there about 15 ft one day.

Didn’t think they would do it but yep they disappeared crawling through a hole just a little bigger than their body. Now this is back up in rough country where there could be some big cats. Seen some big tracks shaped like a Cat and also some fresh wet spots up in there a few feet where they took a piss. Now I didn’t go no further. When I see a dark hole and when your light doesn’t see no end and there’s no exit hole but that one your crawling in…nope that’s a no for me. They said they didn’t get to the end cause way up in there it made some sharp turns.

I think Cat has some video of them disappearing in there. Now about that time I sure wish the day before I would have been brave enough to crawl way back there and plant a fox pro tape that I could have started playing a mountain lion growl once they was deep in there. Sure would have been fun to hear how fast some brave men could scoot backwards on their stomachs back out of there.

12-Feb-23
Yes your right Dave. When we lived on the river down the road aways we were always killing copperheads. In those rust colored leaves they were very hard to spot.

12-Feb-23
Well, at least you guys didn’t get skunked, literally AND figuratively. What type of rattler was it? Timber or Prairie?

12-Feb-23
That is 9 out of 10 on the pucker scale I'm sure. I have never seen or heard a wild rattlesnake but I can imagine it would be intense to hear that at that range. I gotta ask. In the first picture...is that an arrow head or just a pointy rock?

12-Feb-23

Troy it’s neither….that’s a Diamondback.

Bowhunter that’s just a regular old pointy rock. Now I’m sure if a person had time he could find arrowheads there. There was quite a few cliffs and rock overhangs.

I can’t quit thinking about that cave though. I’m thinking about asking my cousin if I can put a trail cam on the entrance. Would love to see what animal was using it. Like I said a few of the tracks wasn’t clearly identifiable but they looked pretty good size.

Here’s a few other snapshots of the place. This one had a water pool underneath the rock which was pretty cool.

12-Feb-23
How many buttons?

12-Feb-23
Well we think at one time something happened to his rattlers. It was shorter than normal…only had about 3 or 4 rattlers with his button.

12-Feb-23
Should have looked at the pics a little closer. Can definitely tell it’s a diamondback.

12-Feb-23
I have a friend from west/central Ks that used to participate in Oklahoma rattlesnake hunts. He brought one very large rattler home and kept it in a cage of some sort. One evening, he and a couple friends decided to handle that snake. Lots of alcohol was involved in the decision to handle it. My friend was bit of his arm. He ended up being life flighted to Wichita. The docs ended up slitting open his arm from wrist to shoulder. He nearly lost the arm but escaped with a nasty scar. You can’t fix stupid.

12-Feb-23
Had a friend that had a prairie rattler in a glass case and used to bet some dollars you could not hold your hand on the glass while snake hit the other side. U can't.

12-Feb-23
Funniest thing I ever seen in my life was hunting snakes in west Texas. We were hunting hogs until we saw the first snake laying in the sun on an oil road, so that was the end of the hog hunting for me ( I don't like them at all) my brother and my buddy decided we should go looking for more, we head to an old dump and they commence to lifting up tin and kicking boards out of the way. After there was 3 in the bucket I stayed back and watched the 2 of them kick an old water heater, and just like a cartoon a swarm of bees came out of the heater and starting chasing those 2 they ran right by me and grabbed the bucket with the bees following behind, I never moved and didn't get stung at all.

13-Feb-23
Catching the snake was fun (and slightly unnerving but we got it done) but the host was the best part of the trip and completely awesome! Be still took us all over the place letting us explore, introducing us to great people, and showing us some of the most beautiful country around. After galivanting around all day he graciously brought us to his house for a feast that his wonderful wife had spent the day preparing, then let us play ping-pong with his family all night. Then if that wasn't enough he made us breakfast in the morning before we took off back home. The man treated us like kings and we had a blast!

I kind of feel sorry for whoever he takes back to that little cave though. I have a feeling they'll be the butt of a pretty funny practical joke!

13-Feb-23
Used to go to snake hunt every year,knew a guy that used a dog to tell him if there was one in the den.I would trade the catcher for a sawed off 20ga.Most rattlers I ever saw was on white sands in NM Oryx hunting.

17-Feb-23
A few years ago we were an a hog hunt in Texas. On of the guys killed a BIG diamond back I think he saved the skin to put on a bow and froze the meat. A couple of years ago at one of our carp shoots we cookd it up. It was really good. Then 2 or 3 years ago at one of oupraire dog hunts some one killed a prairie rattler. It was the largest one I have ever seen. We cooked it up but I didnt think is was as good as the diamo nd back

19-Feb-23
Charlie if we would’ve caught more I was thinking about skinning a couple and putting em on the grill to add to the dinner that evening. Maybe next time.

Putting some snake skin on a long bow or recurve would look pretty neat I bet.

26-Feb-23

Yesterday was good…nice just to clear everything out of your head and go to a very small town for a big rattlesnake roundup.

If you’ve never been and you find yourselves in Texas about this time I recommend the Oglesby one. You won’t regret it. Good to see all the young kids and the adults for that matter excited about something other than staring at the tv screen or their phone. It’s pretty much like a small fair without the rides.

When I got there early yesterday morning snakes were still being delivered by snakehunters in boxes and cans. I stuck around for the first show which was pretty neat but I left before it was done to go pick up Erica. For the first show I guess since the snakes had just been dumped inside the glass wall the snakes were none too happy and they were striking and pretty lively. Announcer said for the first show they wasn’t going to get too extreme with the stunts because of it.

This ain’t no joke. Last year a snake handler died at the one in Freer Tx. He got bit by a rattler on the shoulder while performing and was dead by that same evening at the hospital. Years ago this guy that was doing some of the more exciting stunts yesterday got bit on top of his head after they laid a coiled up snake on his head. I think he did the same stunt yesterday again.

Sorry I didn’t get many good photos for y’all cause time I got back with Erica for the 2:00 show the place was jam packed and the only way I could take any pics or see anything was to hold my phone up above peoples heads.

You’ll see the same guy that got bit on the head held a balloon in his mouth in front of one until the rattler finally struck and popped it. In one pic you’ll see him doing a kiss of death on top of a cobra they brought. That cobra looked wicked. Another trick is where a guy crawled in a sleeping bag with them. You’ll see where they placed one on top his chest even. Then he had to very slowly crawl out of that bag.

Later got closer up shots when the show was over but they were still carrying them around for people. They were still striking at them by the way and some were connecting but they had snake boots under their jeans.

26-Feb-23

This pic with the snakes all around the young guy’s feet was after he stood there they slid a bunch all around him. After he stood there he was to see if he could very slowly ease away. He got struck twice before getting away from them all. He must have had some really good boots cause that guy was always amongst them getting struck yesterday.

26-Feb-23

Was sure hoping the father had a tight grip on his little girl. Kept thinking it wouldn’t take much for her to grab the edge of the board and give a quick tug. There was quite a pile of snakes right under her.

26-Feb-23
And if anybody is interested in what rattlesnake meat looks like. It’s good but you don’t get much cause of all the little bones

26-Feb-23

26-Feb-23
The Texas snake man Jackie Bibby was there and still going at it. He’s the one in all black with the little black hat. He was limping around on his prosthetic leg of his that he had to get from losing his leg to a rattler bite during a show.

26-Feb-23

26-Feb-23
I got a few videos yesterday that I might get Jason here to post if he doesn’t mind for the people that has never seen a show.

There having another few shows there again today. Erica is pretty short and so she didn’t get a good look so we might run over there again today so she can get an up and close encounter by the glass during the stunts.

26-Feb-23
Instead of a $50K fundraiser to raise money for a new prosthetic leg…maybe they should have raised money to by the guy some common sense?

26-Feb-23
The show looks like it was a blast! Don't think I know how to post a video from my phone.

26-Feb-23
Interesting to say the least, some folks just ain't too smart...sorry but it's truth.

I'm going to help you here Mike: First off, I know the screenshots are working for you, as far as orientation, but you can also "edit" them and shrink the size down by "cropping" the screenshots(that will remove the "dead/blank" white space above and below each pic). Send me a text or PM and I can walk you through it buddy. As for videos, you'll have to either start a YouTube, Vimeo, or other video sharing page. Then you can either upload a link, or embed your videos into a Bowsite post. I can explain over the phone too if that's easier.

26-Feb-23
You a good man Sito and I’ll try to edit to make them smaller. Always wondered why my pics turned out huge. Now on the YouTube thing I’ll try and get Erica to help me with that. Not sure if I’m ready to embarrass myself with you trying to teach me that. You would need a lot of patience.

If that fails though I might reach out to you though and we’ll see what we can do.

Didn’t get back there anyways today. Had to push and burn some brush today to get ready for a fence and it got late on me.

27-Feb-23
Here ya go Mike. Glad to help.

27-Feb-23

27-Feb-23
Crested's videos are way better quality than what you sent me bestill. Must be a phone thing.

28-Feb-23
Thank you Crested…having you around I might not ever learn how to do the YouTube thing.

Yeah his videos are clear. The 3rd video is before the first show started but it showed how lively the snakes were. Think they might have have been a little pissed being just brought out of the wild to the pen there.

The other 3 was from the first show where I had better seating but the 3rd show was a lot better but don’t have really good videos of that one. Maybe next year I’ll get some good pics and videos of it. They must really trust those snake boots and too most of them only goes up to right below the knee. I know that time my brother got bit was on the side of the knee. He told me the other day he has a little trouble with that knee hurting but not sure if it was from that though.

01-Mar-23
I don't get it. Demons from hell that need a high velocity projectile to the head IMO. My friend let hunters catch some off his bluffs on the Cimarron River last year for the Oklahoma Roundup and they one first place. It's bad enough I've encountered 3 porcupines in the same area and my lab got nailed by about 20 quills. I'd burn the place down if a rattler got him.

02-Mar-23
Yeah I would love to have a few of the smaller ones for putting on a bow. I have one large one that Charlie was talking about earlier but once the get so big you loose so much of the pattern on a narrow bow. A person needs two skins about 30-35 inches long.

02-Mar-23
How do you attach one to a bow? I'm guessing it would need to be either made into leather or preserved through salting or borax, then pressed and glued onto the limbs?

I would have liked to catch more while we were down there but it certainly wasn't our host's fault. He worked is butt off for us, then fed us like kings, then introduced us to some great people. The trip was a blast!

02-Mar-23
Griff I was going to try and buy a few snakes at that show but I heard the guy that was there that was holding up the snakes skins here had alrighty bought all of them. He makes all sorts of little things out of theirs skins. I even tried later buying a few snakes off of him but he didn’t want to part with any.

There really wasn’t many snakes at that show and they’re getting more and more scarce down here. Talked to a local hunter down here the other day and he said they went to some really good dens that hadn’t been hunted in years and there wasn’t no snakes in them.

I think hogs is the biggest problem. I’m pretty sure they’re killing a lot off.

I’m going to try and get one more day off though to try and locate a few more snakes between now and the convention. If I do find a few small ones I’ll bring them to you Griff.

The base of the bluebonnets is already starting to pop up down here so the old saying is when that’s happening snakes are crawling out of their dens so we’ll see. Be exciting if I could catch some on the outside.

02-Mar-23
Okla. has a bunch of rattlesnake roundups going on as well. Actually, heard that most of theirs are better than the best Texas roundup ;?). At least at those, you should be able to find any skin that you want to buy and shouldn't have to worry about running into such a greedy type of person (Santa the snake skin dealer) that can't part ways with even a single skin.

02-Mar-23
You don't have to tan a snake skin to attach it to bow limbs. I've done at least 10 skins:

1. Skin the snake and with belly incision and tack out to dry with scales down. 2. When skin is completely dry trim off belly skin edges with xacto knife and roll up paper thin rectangular shaped clean skin. 3. Rehydrate in warm water and ring out moisture on towel. 4. Apply TiteBond III in a thin coat on both the skin and the bow limb and let it get tacky. 5. Carefully roll out skin on bow limb making sure to keep wrinkles worked out and everything linear and lined up straight. You can moved the skin for a few minutes before it gets too tacky to move. Wrap excess 1/4 to 1/2 inch of skin over limb edges and don't worry as it can be easily trimmed and sanded off for a clean edge after it dries. 6. After drying for a couple weeks, it can be trimmed cleanly and finished with varnish or polyurthane finish product. *** Some folks carefully removed all scales after skin has dried before applying finish spray*** GOOD LUCK.....you can always strip it back off if you mess up or don't like it.

02-Mar-23

bentstick54 's embedded Photo
bentstick54 's embedded Photo
Like Roughcountry said. Here’s 2 diamondback and 1 copperhead I did on my Osage selfbows. Always looking for affordable skins in 30” to 35”.

02-Mar-23
Brian...I like the patterning on that copperhead skin way better than those 2 rattlesnake skins. Don’t get me wrong, all 3 look great....but that copperhead has a little more of a broken-up camo look and "it" factor to me anyway. Thx for sharing!

02-Mar-23
Wow I like the Diamondbacks better. Brian that is very nice and makes me want to go snake hunting right now.

Roughcountry thank you for your time sharing that. Useful knowledge right there.

02-Mar-23
Thanks guys, I like them both but maybe favor the rattlers a bit myself. Roughcountry explained the process real well.

03-Mar-23

Sorry…but I win, Ha, Ha, Ha!

31-May-23

Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
Next to the step on my deck monday night.

31-May-23
Ok, gonna have to part ways with this particular thread, little too close for comfort there Calhoun!!

01-Jun-23
James did you mean to say Matt:?)

Matt that’s a pretty one

01-Jun-23
Yep, shoulda said Matt. I thought you and Jason were the only weirdos on here! :-)

01-Jun-23
Just about stepped right on top of a copperhead the other day, and I was wearing sandals.

That’ll make you jump right out of your flip flops!

01-Jun-23
Knock on wood Ive only seen one copperhead around home. But I know they are around.

01-Jun-23
Weirdo? I'm feeling pretty normal here.

25-Aug-23

In an office building at work.

26-Aug-23

Pretty markings Matt.

Went looked at a property down here for sale awhile back and this was out in the old garage.Never seen this many rattlers on a snake before. I’m counting 19 and a button.

• Sitka Gear