TonyBear 31-May-23
TonyBear 01-Jun-23
TonyBear 03-Jun-23
TonyBear 03-Oct-23
Dale06 03-Oct-23
TonyBear 09-Oct-23
TonyBear 01-Dec-23
04-Mar-23
Turkeys seem to be holding their own for now. I saw a flock of about 30 birds along a creek just a few days ago. They also seem to be roosting more in the evergreens. Maybe for protection.

April 12th opener, I am predicting I will be bowhunting in the snow again.

That said, I was encouraged by a few folks at the archery shop to use the Bullhead broadheads and stick to head shots. Since I lost a few birds previously this may be the plan for 2023.

Otherwise, scorpions on the shaft, and a Game tracker string may be it if I take any body shots. I know I hit the two I lost pretty good, they are just very hard to track sometimes.

05-Mar-23
I've seen some out and about, will get serious later this month. Picked up 3 new bullheads 2 weeks ago.

06-Mar-23
I’m hearing some gobbles early morning in the twin cities western burbs. I’ll hunt there and near Taylor’s Falls.

08-Mar-23
Any area tips for a new bow hunter near the Willmar mn. area? I found some wma but shows no turkeys. I'm new to state 4 months.

08-Mar-23
Any area tips for a new bow hunter near the Willmar mn. area? I found some wma but shows no turkeys. I'm new to state 4 months.

08-Mar-23
Jon, Sibley State Park in New London is worth a look. I believe licenses are issued on a draw basis, but I'm not certain. All I know is I see turkeys in the area when I drive to New London from my farm. If the park is not an option this year, you might pound on some doors in the vicinity. The area is good turkey habitat, consisting of water, rolling hills, bur oak woods and ag fields. Good Luck!

09-Mar-23
Thanks jaw, I just have the tag from our local runnings but I'll check out that area and get back. There also may be close WIA near the park I can get access to since I added the 3 bucks to access those lands. Awesome fast feed back and greatly appreciated.

09-Mar-23

Dadofcrazy8's embedded Photo
I'm in luck there are a couple spots to choose from nearby if door knocking fails.

09-Mar-23
Jon, I drive on County 9 many times during the spring, summer and fall. I've seen turkeys on each side of the road, so those WIAs are located in a good general area. (NOTE: I've never been on the WIAs, so I have no idea what type of terrain/cover they have.) Keep us posted.

09-Mar-23
You can count on it , weather permitting ill go out this Saturday and take a peek. Thanks again.

12-Mar-23

Youth bow hunter! My 4 year old.
Youth bow hunter! My 4 year old.
Well I went out to 253 and it was a little tough to access with the snow and my kids in tow. I made them ditch the tablet and go outside, yea me! The wooded area look good but I think the harder to get to 248 will be more fruitful. This area barriers a crop panting and looks appealing for deer as we saw one just south near the landfill on the way up. No gobblers seen and we stayed at the border this time.

22-Mar-23
Connected with landowners over the weekend, All positive. Saw some gobblers and more hens than I expected. Snow is going fast, practicing at a head target 15yds. Just about ready to go, need a new mouth call. April just around the corner.

22-Mar-23
You are obviously in southern MN. Snow deeper than hell here north of Grand Rapids!

22-Mar-23
Still two feet level here in western MN, more at the drifted areas.

23-Mar-23
Yea, SE Mn

25-Mar-23
Sw mn. Is starting to melt and its not terrible to walk outside. Maybe its a good idea to travel south for spring opener. Ill be scouting the new london area public land area today, ill let you know if I see any gobblers.

25-Mar-23
Good luck, Jon. How much snow cover do you have in the Willmar/Spicer/New London area? Any large open patches in the fields yet?

25-Mar-23
I’m seeing toms strutting all fanned in the TC west suburbs. I will hunt in the Taylor’s falls area as soon as the snow is gone and the season is open.

28-Mar-23
There is still a lot of snow on the ground here, justthe shoulders are starting to melt and some areas of hard sunlight during the daytime. I've been too multiple state lands and I've only spotted one jake in the burbank wma in New london. The snow has been a challenge for sure along with my inexperience.

28-Mar-23
On a fun note I also broke down and loss a water pump in the gmc. The only other awd I have was a car and it was sketchy just trying not to get stuck today so my head wasn't 100 percent in it. Shout out to that awesome trucker who had 2 jugs of antifreeze and just gave them to me to crutch it back home. Good people!

30-Mar-23
Checking my usual spots this week. Will see how many birds are left and any fresh sign.

01-Apr-23
Well, after last night, better get out your snow shoes to hunt the opener. I’ll most likely not hunt the first week of season given the snow depth where I hunt. I’m sick of snow.

01-Apr-23
Well the snow was not plowed today and it made it a fun hike in to scout. I have no fresh tracks and I think the birds are still at the farms given the latest snow drop. Hows the snow level in the Taylor falls area Dale? Can you send a pin drop if the conditions are better so I can get on some birds? I'll do the 2.5 hr drive to be able to bag a bird!

01-Apr-23
Dad, I hunt the Taylor’s Falls area, but live in the TC and have not yet scouted this spring. I hunt on 90 acres so scouting is pretty simple.

01-Apr-23
Cool, I am going to see how fast the snow can melt before determining where to hunt but my wife says another storm is coming on Thursday with 10 in of additional snow. Thx for the assist.

01-Apr-23

Hey Dale have you been to wild rose wma before? Its in same county as Taylor falls. Any insight is appreciated..

02-Apr-23
Dad and Dale another 8-10 inches in Taylors Falls area, drifts are even deeper.

I shot a turkey in snow spring of 2013. If you remember that one we had 17 inches of snow in a April storm, was in the 90s a few days later.

02-Apr-23
I'm going to see today if I can find some affordable snowshoes looks like I'm going to need then.

04-Apr-23
Hail here today, I am about 15 minutes South of Taylors Falls.

06-Apr-23
Checked my local spots this morning saw about 20 birds with 3 nice toms strutting in one spot, 2 toms in another and a pile of jakes, hens in one more.

Seems they held their own so far.

06-Apr-23
Looks like we are melting around the wilmar area! The grass should draw out some birds so I can spot something. Dale can you Tony can you recommend a SE spot if the new london area doesn't pan out before shotguns start?

07-Apr-23
Shotguns start the first day of season.

07-Apr-23
Dang I thought bow and then shotguns. Thanks for the clarification.

12-Apr-23
Dad of Crazy 8 your archery lisc. is good for all turkey spring season. Yup gun starts same day as archery.

25 years ago I hunted alot down by Caledonia, Eitzen. Good trout fishing too. Still a lot of turkeys down there I think.

12-Apr-23

TonyBear's embedded Photo
Saw alot of birds this morning, not much gobbling but active mating going on.

12-Apr-23
Not much gobbling for me, really windy, had one come in with 5 hens and somehow my bullhead that looked really good MISSED. Day one!

12-Apr-23

I noticed jut light most of the time I was in the blind. But tons of hens so maybe they didn't have to gobble. Got lots of pics and video though.

Try again tomorrow, too bad I don't have a 20x on my bow.....

12-Apr-23
Light gobbling this morning.

12-Apr-23
I hunted a small lot just outside the TC western burbs. Heard and saw zero turkeys. The land owner texted me and said there was a dozen birds 1/2 mile from me and they were moving away from me. I’ll be back at them Fri or next week. Good luck guys and gals.

14-Apr-23
I saw 20 deer in the new london area wma lands and zero turkeys. All my plans were shattered by they snow melting and the land I wanted was instantly under water 6 in. I settled on the edge and called for 2 hours or so and tons of deer just kept walking by smiling at me. It was great requardless of the circumstances.

14-Apr-23
I saw about a group of 8 crossing the 23 sw of me by grand rapids I believe the town was called. I placed a pin on a map and they have waterfowl land to hunt on nearby. That's Saturday mornings plan I believe. Great pictures guys I am jealous.

14-Apr-23
When leaving my spot yesterday morning I saw 7 gobblers and 11 hens all together about 1/4 mile away huddled out of the wind. Did I say how much I detest the WIND!

14-Apr-23
I was out this morning again in the far western suburbs of the TC. Heard and saw zero turkeys.

15-Apr-23
Rain day today, why not I'm am headed out early, lol. Yesterday I saw no turkeys in the Maynard, Clara city wma lands. There is a lot of flooding in the lands. I'm going to try higher elevation today in hopes dryer is better. North new london burbank wma lands

15-Apr-23
I did a field test of my custom tom turkey decoy. Using real wing feathers and a tail that can drop and raise with fishing line. Stood up to those heavy winds. Brought the hens and few jakes into the area but alas was directly behind me about 5 yds away in the brush. I think I overhead them saying: "Hey there's a guy in that boxy thing, let's see how high he can jump if I gobble." One did and and I jumped.

Later on while recovering the decoys a few toms showed up about 70 yards away on a different side of the farm. Can still Army crawl.. Back to the blind 15 yds away. Pretty sore today.

Will try for them again tomorrow or Monday after the ...snow.

15-Apr-23

Nice Tony, so funny. I found two groups and the first group gobbled at me after I made a call. Cool. It was on private land and on the way out and early , so I didn't knock and ask to pursue the turkeys. It was next to a golf course so I was unsure who's land it was. I need to hook up with some land owners the turkeys are still at the farms and hiding wile all is flooded in the wma lands.

19-Apr-23
I thought one of my ground blinds was stolen recently. I actually found it up in the trees about 70 yards away. Strong winds earlier this week. Stopped by the camping department and bought some better stakes...

Still no Toms in range but I am seeing hens in groups and few jakes in the decoy spread here and there. Lots of deer so good to see they survived winter OK.

19-Apr-23
So, Tony, your calling must suk!

19-Apr-23
Had my grandaughter here over the weekend and Saturday went great except for when gobblers would start coming in another would come and chase them off. Sunday was rain and wind then snow and wind so no shooting. Went Tuesday and my blind survived but nothing even gobbled. Will try again Friday, winds predicted 25mph.

20-Apr-23
Yeah Friday or Sunday might work. Toms are responding to calls but there are so many hens to deal with. Lots of deer around the blinds too.

20-Apr-23
Just kidding Tony! Trying to get something going on this dull Minnesota thread! So it sounded more like the main thread. :) I haven't hunted turkeys for a few years. Been going to Nebraska a lot. But that's deteriorated. So I think will go this year later over in the Nimrod area. Have 2 buddies hunting over that way today and they said they're getting snowed on heavy.

21-Apr-23
8" of heavy wet stuff overnight north of Grand Rapids. The buddies hunting over west said 8" there also. Suks.

21-Apr-23
Has anyone hunted the Carlos Avery wma? I read it is open for bow hunters without lottery draw. I was told it houses a lot of turkeys? Any feedback?

21-Apr-23

Whocares's embedded Photo
My 94 yr old buddy, one of the 2 hunting the Menahga, Nimrod country in that 8" of snow got this Tom with his cross bow this morn. He is one tough old guy. Did Canada snowmobile trip with him for trout in March. We'll be doing an ice out trout trip mid May in Canada too. He still deer hunts alone too.

21-Apr-23
oops. With his shotgun today.

22-Apr-23

RD's embedded Photo
RD's embedded Photo
Got er done Friday 4-21-23 My 75 th birthday. Had a great morning seeing 11 legal birds at one time along with 10 deer all at one time.

22-Apr-23

RD's embedded Photo
RD's embedded Photo
Bear T/D 52# rocky mtn broadhead

23-Apr-23
Good job Randy!!

23-Apr-23
I thought I had the perfect set-up this morning. Put a big flock to be last night including 3 big toms. A few them were fighting right behind the blind.

So get set-up about 75 yds away. Gobbling starts at 5:30 AM. The smart hen flys down from her roost to the middle of the field. A second sentry flies down all the way to the field. They cluck , cackle kee, kee etc. So the jakes fly down and walk over, then some more hens and finally the toms are flying down and walking through woods. In my sight window just coming out of cover about 20 yds. Then they stop, pause for a while and angle away.

No calling from me as I think I have a perfect set-up. Well wouldn't you know but Wilie E Coyote shows up. Scatters the birds. I see them again off and on but well out of range 70-100 yds.

This is getting fun but also disappointing.

27-Apr-23
I had a coyote mess up my hunting on Sunday just as the toms were coming into range. Last night a bald eagle swooped in at the flock.

So I guess an owl or bobcat will be next?

27-Apr-23
Congrats RD, always enjoy a recurve kill pic, getting to be a lost hunting weapon anymore.

Took a long public land walk and seen a few deer and grouse, even several woodcock, best time to be out there before the foliage covers up everything, heard several gobbles up on the bluffs.

28-Apr-23
Taking a Saturday morning trip to lamprey pass to test my luck with a portable blind. Great pic and nice job on the kill RD! Beware gobblers!!! Hahaha.

29-Apr-23
Dad of Crazy 8 you will likely have to walk from the parking area on 97 if you visit the section West of Hwy 35 as the frontage road is under construction and re-routing.

Otherwise have seen birds behind the new Caribou coffee on the Eastern section.

02-May-23

Got him this evening. Just got blind set up and decoys out and sat down and reaching for my call. He was strutting right to my decoys before I was really even ready! 11 yd shot and dropped in his tracks. Wasn't sitting even 2 minutes. Crazy! Shortest hunt ever.

03-May-23
Whocares, Congratluations!

Sometimes hunting (and fishing ) is like that, the first cast, last cast, I was just checking the spot out, etc.

The last one my wife shot I have her on film saying: "Damn, that was easy..."

08-May-23

Djl's embedded Photo
Bloody arrow is a good sign.
Djl's embedded Photo
Bloody arrow is a good sign.
Djl's embedded Photo
9-1/2" beard with 1" spurs.
Djl's embedded Photo
9-1/2" beard with 1" spurs.
Congrats to all. I got it done yesterday. I shot my biggest tom to date weighing in the upper 20's. The bird came in and was in full strut behind my double bull blind at 5 yards. It was spitting and drumming for 10 minutes walking back and forth. It wanted my lone hen decoy to come to him. I finally was able to open a window when it spun around in full strut. 6 yard shot.

08-May-23
Wow! A dandy Dale. Like the picture too. Mine had 9" beard and 7/8 ' spurs. Didn't weigh it.

09-May-23
Good job!

09-May-23
Good job!

09-May-23

Djl's embedded Photo
Turkey hanging on the gambrel back at the cabin.
Djl's embedded Photo
Turkey hanging on the gambrel back at the cabin.
Djl's embedded Photo
Djl's embedded Photo
Djl's embedded Photo
Trophy pic.
Djl's embedded Photo
Trophy pic.
I have taken a couple of big birds before, but this one just seemed heavy. I put it on the scale and as you can see it is up there. I am not sure how much the gambrel weighs, maybe 1-2 pounds so the bird was right up there at around 29 pounds. I think the scale is pretty accurate +/- as I tested it on my weight.

09-May-23
Whocares you had an exciting hunt. Fast! Great pic. RD, great job with the recurve. Very nice.

09-May-23
Nice birds guys!

09-May-23
Nice bird there... I got drawn on two tom followings a parade of hens and few jakes who were all in range. As they come to the opening paused for a few seconds then skirted the field edge heading away from the blind til they got to 35-40 yards then stepped out to join the group. Smart toms but only two left in the group of 4. Heading to WI tomorrow...

09-May-23

What do you mean you haven't shot anything yet?

Saw this one outside my PT office earlier today.

10-May-23
Great picture.

10-May-23
Tony good luck in WI.

13-May-23

So as usual turkeys are giving me the slip. I set-up high in the ridge they come out low. I move to low they look for me high the next day. Arrgh..

So I am hunting some really steep ridges in MN and WI. Sometimes boulders work better than tree dues to the angle. Still feel like I am slipping most of the time. Any smaller chairs out there with adjustable legs for sitting low??

15-May-23
Regarding the seat, Cabelas has one on sale right now I believe it's called the gobbler seat. It would be nice for hunting on the go without a blind to get the bottom cam off the ground. It's not adjustable though.

17-May-23

My AMAC is good most places but not adjustable. I sat on two pads yesterday and had some luck. Couldn't get enough clearance for a bow with all the ridges, ditches and rock piles. I cleared some rocks and dirt so next time I can do it with a bow.

17-May-23

just about 23 #, 9 1/2 in beard but some real spurs over 2 inches.

17-May-23
About 16 yards, sitting with one leg out on an angle slope. Will have to practice that one at the trad shoot this summer.

17-May-23
I'd love to see a pic of those spurs. Please share.

18-May-23

Here are the spurs

18-May-23
Also while cleaning the bird I found a lot of small lead shot just under the skin. Looks like he was shot with trap load, face on as it was all over the breast on both sides..

I have always used 4s and they work pretty well, but so does a 4 blade muzzy. I may try the Bullhead if I get one close enough before end of season.

18-May-23
Also while cleaning the bird I found a lot of small lead shot just under the skin. Looks like he was shot with trap load, face on as it was all over the breast on both sides..

I have always used 4s and they work pretty well, but so does a 4 blade muzzy. I may try the Bullhead if I get one close enough before end of season.

18-May-23
Congrats on a fine bird!

19-May-23
Good going Tony!

19-May-23
Tried the same technique here in MN last 2 days. Thursday got eaten by bugs near the river, today wasn't so bad by the private farm. Birds were way, way on the other end of the property.

25-May-23
Anyone try a Thermacell during turkey season? I know the turkeys can't smell very well and some new units out there.

26-May-23
Yea, thermacells no problem.

26-May-23
I have been using thermacells ever since they came out, deer, bear, turkey hunting etc. No problems whatsoever.

26-May-23
Used one last night and again this morning. Worked great thank you. Oh, I wonder if our state braintrust will seek to ban it as a harmful air hazard generator like Ellison is planning for all petroleum- based stoves (get ready hunters, fisherman, campers, resort owners-you know the while tourism industry).

26-May-23
You’re very generous in calling some people “braintrust”

30-May-23
Turkeys fly more than we think. Previously in my outings at the private farm I had one old smart hen who would fly down in the morning out to the middle of the field way out of range. The rest of the flock would walk by after she checked it out. Now the whole flock, including the Toms are exhibiting this behavior.

Lucky for me I do have another blind on the other end of the field that I scoot off too once they are in the field. The field isn't flat so they are out of my sight line when I do this and circle back through the woods. Well, they arrived just about the time I was stepping into the second blind. At 10 yds away I set up my 2-D decoy and used it to crawl a little bit closer to see their reaction. They didn't spook but kept their distance for about 2 hours. A guy can get pretty tired crouchin and laying down behind a decoy so I finally backed out past the other hill.

In my experience with the 2 D decoy so far they certainly don't run up to it like the reaping videos. Don't necessarily run from it either. Not sure what my strategy is in the short time left in the season. Maybe try an interception before the roost next few nights.

30-May-23
Get er done Tony! Try putting a hen decoy flat on the ground like in a breeding position. This late in the season the Tom's should be eager for it.

31-May-23
Hunted on last time in WI yesterday. Tom gobbled behind us at the bottom of the ridge just after we got set up at 7 PM. Called and he answered 3-4 times then shut up. Waited til sunset. Never heard him or saw him again.

Trying the MN farm in just a little while.

01-Jun-23
Got to the area of the blind and three birds were about 50 yds in front of it. Did the Army crawl to the back wall lifted the blind slightly to get in. By the time I got the chair up and small window open they were about 20 yds. Got nervous and walked out of range. A bunch of deer also showed up about the same time and did the stare down til just about dark.

That said, I just have the feathers from the one shot I did take this year. Drove by the farm this morning and saw a small male bear dead on the road. I knew one was around by the beds left behind but didn't see him while he was alive. What a pity.

03-Jun-23
The farmer sent me text yesterday with a picture of three toms in the driveway, close to where I parked all season. Talk about rubbing salt in a wound. They probably don't know there is a fall season....

03-Oct-23

OK at it again but for the fall season. Seeing plenty of hens and polts but no adult Toms yet. Their turn will come, either now or this spring.

03-Oct-23
I just bought a fall turkey license. I’ve bowhunted them a lot in the spring but never in fall.

09-Oct-23

So with the large flocks of turkeys I am seeing thinking shoot a hen wouldn't hurt them too much. Especially if its than matriarch that gives me so much trouble every spring or that bearded hen. A different kind of trophy and would probably taste good too.

01-Dec-23
Earlier this week I was in the woods and had about 2 dozen turkeys come by. Three separate groups at least. I heard more vocalizations on birds than I ever heard before. Plenty of clucks, cackles, gobbles, Kee, Kees and something almost akin to a deer grunt or roar. Depending upon the snow, cold and predation over the winter I am really looking forward to a turkey hunt this spring only 5 months away...

• Sitka Gear