Keith 09-Nov-23
x-man 14-Nov-23
12yards 14-Nov-23
Keith 15-Nov-23
RD 15-Nov-23
RD 15-Nov-23
x-man 15-Nov-23
30-Mar-23
Well, here we go again.Current bill HF 2716 proposes full inclusion of crossbows into the MN archery season.

Sponsored by Samantha Vang 38B, Foung Hawj 67

Supposedly has support from MDHA?

Time to circle the wagons, and make the usual phone calls, e-mails,etc.

Anyone know if the Legislative committee has met on it yet?

30-Mar-23
One of the reasons I left MDHA. They have long been a proponent. DU, PF, and NWTF do far more for the habitat preservation anyway.

30-Mar-23
I left MDHA and NRA because of their crossbow stances. Safari club always gave the run-around when pressed. Pretty sure their bowhunting members are in favor of crossbows..

31-Mar-23
Just another nail in the demise of bowhunting, coming to a generic hunt. Just think if fingers on the string was the only method, we wouldn't be discussing this garbage. I could legally use a cross gun but if killing met that much I be in the gun season but rather be hunting than just killing. Enjoy your hunt--

31-Mar-23
jjs x1

31-Mar-23
Pushing for legalization of airbows in OK. Not sure how anyone can call that a bow with a straight face.

07-Apr-23
Heard back from my legislators. Both said thanks for your interest but I'm in favor for the kids and we need to kill more deer down here.

07-Apr-23
The ole worn out line used by many today, speaking from experience the hunt will deteriorate quality wise if one is limited or prefers to hunt public.Its a nail in the coffin for what bowhunting was meant to be . Hope that is does not pass and good luck to those who took a stand against its use.

12-Apr-23
RD if they want to promote archery for kids they need to realize what NASP is, host a Kicking Bear event, Go to Bowfest or just be more active in the local archery club. Maybe sponsor some memberships. Crossbows won't do it. But I know I am talking to the choir.

13-May-23
Its all legal now, if you hunt public you will notice the impact on your hunting. bowhunting anymore is a thing of the past for the most part.

14-May-23
Just ignore them, less interaction is better for one's sanity. Public will pay the price by the Rambo wannabes, keep your old bowhunting mags for history reference.

15-May-23
MDHA came around to the issues with 2A, gun-grabbing politicians and will not be participating in the governor's deer opener. Maybe they will come around on the crossbow/airbow issue too.

23-May-23
Looks like a game changer.

23-May-23
Don’t get your panties in a bunch. The bill never left committee. Hopefully it will get somewhere next session!

23-May-23
Don’t get your panties in a bunch. The bill never left committee. Hopefully it will get somewhere next session!

24-May-23
Per discussions with some users and archery shop owners the typical modern crossbow lasts only about 75 shots before a string breaks or other significant work is required. Wonder how long an airbow can be used before it gets a leak....

25-May-23
This passed in the Omnibus bill. No more age limits on crossbow usage. Licensed hunters of any age will be allowed to take deer, bear, turkey or rough fish by crossbow during the regular archery seasons.

25-May-23
Did they ever fix the pedophiles as a protected class in the new Human Rights bill? As you may recall the Niska Amendment language that clearly defined pedophiles as not a protected class (approved 126-0 vote in the Legislature), was pulled in the middle of the night by the Democrats in the bill committee. That is the reality of the DFL party and the crap they pull in the wee hours of the night.

25-May-23
“Don’t get your panties in a bunch. The bill never left committee. Hopefully it will get somewhere next session!”

You spoke too quick. Our beloved governor by all signed it into law this morning. Along with 2 lines are ok for pools 1 and 2 as well as the Minnesota river all the way to the granite falls dam.

26-May-23
You would think hunters would know their own state laws before spouting off like a Bubba.

10-Jun-23
Welp, this kinda sucks. Knowing tim walz, he probably just heard "full inclusion" and then stood up like the manchurian candidate and said "where do I sign?"

07-Sep-23
Now that crossbows are allowed in the archery season the DNR is asking archers to "plan" their hunt this year. Oh really? Like I need advice from those people. The same ones who shot down the short-lived "I Can Bowhunt" education program and made it so MBEF (Bowhunters Ed.) was all online, no longer required a field day in order to be completed. Just yesterday they had a webinar promoting crossbows and use for "bowhunting." This is the same state who swears they have a recruitment and retention problem but yet the NASP team (well known to recruit kids into archery and bowhunting), are the reigning NATIONAL champions. A few kids from the LILA team that I talked to thought if the money wasn't an issue they could have went to the international competition and likely won it.

Good Luck this year everyone, hopefully it won't be a crossbow shoot out, as far as a "plan" DNR I plan on utilizing public land less for a real bowhunting opportunity. You could say I am bitter,and yes I am. PM Me if you want to talk about how many MBEF classes I taught and contributed to the "I Can Bowhunt" program, etc.

01-Oct-23
Seen on the Twin Cities news interviewing a sports shop owner that said if he had another 600 x-gun and he had a rack of compounds and a young gent practicing with a x-gun. The point, I remember when the local bow shop in my home area had nothing but recurves and in two short years they were replace with compounds. A recent Sunday article did a story on a 18 pt buck shot with a x-bow and claim it a P&Y buck, P&Y does not accept x-gun kills for the record which is good, but in the long run bowhunting as what it was intended is dead and gone for the dedicated and few bowhunters, the Day the Music Died is the same with this so-called bow season. I'm done with any supporting bow hunting association, I did not leave it it left me. Enjoy the kill.

01-Oct-23
jjs I am sorry you feel that way I know there are a number of people besides me in this thread that attended public meetings, sent info to legislators, DNR, et al to limit or stop crossbow inclusion. Basically, our voices and the voices of the bowhunting groups were ignored. I have access to private land so I am lucky, not sure if the archery only public areas will become a shootout, especially end of October before the gun season.

02-Oct-23
TonyBear, public archery areas will be a mess do to the crossbow influence ,witnessed it here first hand in Wisconsin. I'm pretty much done with bowhunting anymore, I cared enough to not care anymore ,if you catch my drift. There are other outdoor's endeavors/activities that have less hassle and just as pleasing to do anymore. Bowhunting was never meant to be an all inclusive everybody gets the ribbon sport. Not pc I know to say that, but glad I was able to do before all the onslaught of tech and other land changes etc,I had a good ride and no regrets it was all there for the dedicated few at one time that enjoyed and worked at the challenge of archery. Now I don't worry about it or the so called bowhunting/archery seasons anymore. Have fun and enjoy life there are other things to do.

07-Oct-23
Weirdly enough, around here I've seen fewer hunters out than most years so far.

10-Oct-23
You will see them when the rut begins to "kick" in, there waiting and ready with the scoped shoulder fired bolt throwers at least on public land, trust me from first hand person l experience.

12-Oct-23
I agree with all the negative things so far about the Xbows, but to be honest, the season around me has been ruined by early antlerless and youth gun seasons. The public land is overrun by gun hunters for four days MEA weekend.

12-Oct-23
"The public land is overrun by gun hunters for four days MEA weekend."

Understood, we argued with the DNR about making that statewide too. Good luck teaching a youth about bowhunting during MEA while wearing orange. The compromise was that you didn't have to wear it in an archery only area. As a safety issue I would continue to wear it especially with the introduction of crossbows. Oh, and then there is waterfowl and fall turkey season to consider during the youth firearms season as well.

Me I will be out fishing or grouse hunting, to avoid it all.

15-Oct-23
Lost one of my best spots to crossbow newbies this fall. When they gun only hunted I was ok, now I'm competition.

16-Oct-23
RD, the head DNR lady said the x-gun hopefully would bring in the gun hunters and this is the results. Looking at todays hunting the only hunt that hasn't changed with weapon technology over the years is upland bird hunting, shotgun and bird dog and a good pair of legs, everything else has been bastardize one way or the other, sad.

23-Oct-23
Yeah x-bow newbies all over my spots where I have been hunting the last 20 years. Plus, clearing shooting lanes, trial tape; camping and garbage at the access points. I hate to say it but as I have experienced before there are a lot more slobs when it comes to gun hunting. DNR just imported a bunch of them into the sport.

09-Nov-23
Here in Wisconsin the public lands are a mess since a few years after full inclusion. The past three have been very noticable. The bad thing you guys have over there is the gun season is during the rut anyway.

09-Nov-23
I just saw in the newspaper, 40% of archery harvest so far are crossbows.

14-Nov-23
"I just saw in the newspaper, 40% of archery harvest so far are crossbows."

Not that I'm disputing that but, how do they know? There's nothing on the tag or registration designating a choice.

14-Nov-23
When you register your deer they ask if it was shot with vertical bow or crossbow. At least they did on the two I took this year.

15-Nov-23
Yes, on the on-line registration there is a box with vertical bow or crossbow option.

15-Nov-23
Just read a DNR statistics report on their website and it shows 10 vertical bow and 7500 xbow so far this year

15-Nov-23
Should, be 10,000 vertical and 7500 xbow. Sorry

15-Nov-23
How does that compare to this time last year? How many of those 7500 hunters are ex-bowhunters, ex firearm hunters, or new deer hunters?

• Sitka Gear