Buckdeer 27-Apr-23
Ksgobbler 27-Apr-23
One Arrow 27-Apr-23
Ksgobbler 29-Apr-23
Buckdeer 01-May-23
One Arrow 01-May-23
21-Apr-23
Fellow Bowsiter’s

Looking to plant switchgrass or other cover grass and am open to suggestions…

I have done a fair amount of on-line research, but was hoping to get some pointers for the whole process from someone on here who has experience planting cover grasses in Kansas.

Would like to know best time to plant, soil prep recommendations, and after-germination care.

Also, what is the preferred planting method - seed drill, broadcast, etc. and if there is a good resource to rent a seed drill?

Thank you in advance for helping.

21-Apr-23
Same here. Would like to know a good local place to get the seed.

21-Apr-23
Thorton I ordered my Switchgrass seed from Miller Elevator in Hartford. Most elevators/co-ops can probably get it. I have one stand that is 3 yrs old and about 6 ft tall. I killed off the weeds/fescue and frost seeded it. The first 2 years you need to mow it to keep the weeds at bay and let the switch establish. Ive also got a plot I seeded last year and one I seeded this winter. My well established plot is a mixture of Kanlow and Cave in Rock. The stuff I seeded this winter is Blackwell. I also have switchgrass and prairie cordgrass plugs growing in my basement at this time. Star Seed Company out of Osborne sells it and they ship for free to some elevators. I had a buddy order a bunch from them and he picked it up in Walton I believe.

21-Apr-23
Ksgobbler is spot on.

21-Apr-23

Ksgobbler's embedded Photo

22-Apr-23
Walton, KS north of Newton? I'm up there all the time. I have a good friend with a farm up there.

22-Apr-23
Yeah. Call star seed and ask them. I believe there are several they will ship to for free.

25-Apr-23
I have planted blackwell and Kanlow both are good for most of Kansas.Thing I like about switch besides it being taller and standing up better to snow is that it can be planted with a regular drill.I like to plant wheat in fall and then either drill SG seed in Jan and spray wheat as soon as it is warm enough but before SG sprouts. Or spray wheat in spring and then drill SG same day.If you plant in the spring I think you get alittle lower germination first year as it needs to stratify which you can also do if you put seed in freezer and then remove and put back in a couple times but not as good as nature.

25-Apr-23
Buckdeer - if SG can be planted with a regular drill, do you know how I would set mine up. I have an older John Deere 8300. It is 7.5” spacing, single disk. It is currently calibrated for winter wheat.

26-Apr-23
I would figure how many lbs you want per acre and cut the drill way back as far as quanity.As alot of guys are backing down to 5-7lbs per acre so other things can grow.I don't mind weeds in my switch either.If you were going to mix NWSG with this then you would be better off going to county USDA office and getting NT drill that is set up.How many acres are you planting and is it a field or something like CP33 which goes out to 120 ft from field edge.If NWSG you have to use a NG drill or a seed slinger broadcaster for best results.I have drilled both with rented drill and switch with my Kasco versa drill.Only way I know to set up your drill is to go through calibration.Jack it up put a set amount in there and turn wheels to see how much comes out.

26-Apr-23
I’ve got quite a bit of experience with native grasses, but not switch. Do the native grasses eventually choke out the switch or vice versa?

26-Apr-23
I’m planting only 13 acres to begin with. I am on schedule to get access to a no-till drill, however would use my old 8300 if it would work…

Thanks for the input from everyone.

27-Apr-23
I’d order some rice hulls to mix in with your native grasses. Set it on the lowest setting possible and go over it multiple times.

I believe I have ordered from Star Seed before… not sure, but if I remember correctly the nice gentleman I spoke with drove it to SE Kansas for me once.

27-Apr-23
Sometimes a carrier such as rice or pellet lime will work with NWSG but if it clogs it sucks to clean out.Switch may choke it out but depending on seed rate it may take awhile.Your county USDA office may be a good starting point for info on seed.I have bought from Star and Ernst,also got from my local USDA office.If I was going to do it again I would do 5or 6 lbs of blackwell or kanlow per acre and lightly disk every 3 years if good ground.My sand I don't have many good weeds to sprout.

27-Apr-23
Switch will choke out your native grasses and forbs, especially if you put fire in it at the right time. My current switchgrass is for a screen from the road, but I am also trying to establish a couple bedding areas too. I probably have 5 to 7 lbs of blackwell still in my seed storage. As I remove the trees, I seed it into switch.

27-Apr-23
Never had a problem with hulls clogging, personally.

29-Apr-23

I seeded this area with snow on the ground this winter. It was closed canopy hedge. I need to get the rest of my firewood out of there.

01-May-23
One Arrow,You found a way to plant fluffy NWSG in a regular drill?

01-May-23
I don’t have a regular drill. I bought a very used UFT grass no till drill at an auction probably over a decade ago. Belonged to the highway department. I spent quite a bit of time getting it ready, new seed openers, bearings, chains, etc. It’s got 3 different boxes for different types of seed. I have used the regular box for native seed before…. Wasn’t an issue, but can see where it would be depending on how “fluffy” the seed is and the design of your seed tubes.

Prior to the drill I had success broadcasting and then cultipacking. Did it in late Winter… very successful.

I’ve planted a lot of acres over the years, various methods, no one way is right or wrong. Timing and a firm seed bed seem to be the most important factors… IMO.

I’m actually going to try and plant about 3 acres in the next couple of weeks. Extremely late for me, but I’ve been waiting on some rain… just going to go for it. Latest I’ve ever tried.

• Sitka Gear