Westksbowhunter 09-Dec-23
keepemsharp 09-Dec-23
KB 09-Dec-23
Westksbowhunter 09-Dec-23
KB 09-Dec-23
ksq232 09-Dec-23
Matte 11-Dec-23
24-Apr-23
Helped a buddy apply this morning. Big change I noticed is they don’t charge full price for tag this year until you draw. Just an app fee and hunting license if you add it. Was not prompted to buy hunting license. System still doesn’t make it clear whether you have to have a hunting license on file in order to draw or not. Imagine quite a few folks don’t.

Hasn’t been advertised very well but wonder if the pay when successful method will add some applicants?

24-Apr-23
Mindless that the system doesn't have a built in "stop" to dis-allow tag purchase w/o a license on file...MINDLESS!

24-Apr-23
That’s bad news. It will absolutely increase applications and reduce odds of drawing. Look what happened in Colorado for Sheep, Goat and Moose tags. More money in app fees for the state and less odds of drawing for applicants.

24-Apr-23
Dont forget hunting licenses are 365. Last years hunting license might still be valid depending on when it was purchased last year.

25-Apr-23
I could be wrong, but I thought we had to get my fiancée a hunting license before being able to check out. Was prompted by the system as I missed it initially.

If going points only, no requirement for hunting license and just cost of points. Think there should be a buy in here. Quinn pointed out how this direction doesn't improve anything.

Hunting license for 2022-2023 season weren't eligible for the upcoming 2023-2023 season.

Again, could be wrong as that was a handful of light beers and two naps ago. Going off memory and should've written this all down.

26-Apr-23
He had a license from last year that happened to expire the same day he was applying. Whether that mattered or not the system didn’t ask him to purchase another/renew, we just did anyway. At one point he went to his cart to check out and it had actually removed the license.

That was my first thought Quinn, but being that they haven’t really advertised it and we’re talking a $450 deer tag here vs tying up a couple grand I suppose it won’t be quite as obvious as the CO situation. Could take a year or two to shake out, and with the herd in many areas as it is maybe we’ll see some overall demand taper off anyway.

26-Apr-23
I didn’t have to purchase the license because mine was still valid from the previous year.

26-Apr-23
Was told I could buy online after a successful draw or wait til I’m in Kansas and purchase over counter

26-Apr-23
As others have stated, licenses are valid for a full 365 days. So, if you purchased your 2022 license on April 26th, 2022, then it is still good until April 25th, 2023. Problem is, the draw doesn't happen until after April 28th. So I was too afraid of my current license expiring, and then KDWPT not even putting my name in the "hat" due to an expired hunting license. So I just purchased the 2023 license and risk losing out the $100 on the license if I don't draw.

If that makes sense. I guess time will tell.

I am curious if the draw will happen sooner than years past because of the new app/website. We used to find out our results around the 3rd week of May. Lately, it seems closer to the first week or two of June.

27-Apr-23

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
The confusion around this never ends. Most guys buy one because they think it’s required to be eligible in the draw, some aren’t aware if/when they’re necessary , and others are apparently being told they’re not required until drawn. What a shit show. This screenshot is the only mention you can find on the website. Clear as mud.

28-Apr-23
I didn't have to buy a hunting license because mine is still good until Nov 15, 2023 as I bought mine Nov 16, 2022.

My buddy, who didn't already have a hunting license, had to buy one in order to apply for the deer permit.

28-Apr-23
So when you applied, the system showed your license as being current/active Quinn?

29-Apr-23
Mine showed to be valid Kyle

29-Apr-23
Sito,

It didn’t show anything? It just gave me the option to buy a hunting license but allowed me to continue to check out when I declined that option. Assuming only because I already had an active hunting license.

29-Apr-23
Does having an active license at time of application but expires before the draw is held actually going to get you in for a deer license? Anyone know for sure?

30-Apr-23
I was prompted to buy a license. I bought a license last year but did not draw. I believe late years license had expired.

30-Apr-23
Either go outdoors or Kansas Wildlife needs to make up their minds

30-Apr-23
That’s the big mystery Backus. I can’t find that outlined anywhere on the site or the application system. Read on another site a guy was happy he only had to pay the application fee this year and tag/license later.

I apply in seven or eight states a year. They all have different rules around the license requirements, but at least it’s always very apparent and detailed, usually in the application guide as well as the app system, what their rules are. Not in Kansas though.

01-May-23
Emailed commission 2 weeks ago on this issue. Simple fix is all NR Hunting licenses expire Jan 31st the the following year. Make a Hunting Liscense a pre requisite for the draw. No reason not to get as much as possible just like all the other states do. They would need to buy one each year to apply. Right now a smart person waits until two weeks into the draw opens and only has to purchase one per two years to apply. Also the state receives more Pittmann dollars based on licenses sold.

01-May-23
That would make entirely too much sense Matt…..

16-May-23
Hopefully this week ??

17-May-23
June 10th last year with the system change. Usually around the 20th-25th normally though.

17-May-23
Thanks

23-May-23
Two days and the results will be out according to the Fish and Game

24-May-23
Looks like it will be this week. I probably won't draw as I had 0 PP.

"Thank you for submitting a nonresident deer application. Results of the drawing will be available within the next few days and you can check the status of your application at GoOutdoorsKansas.com."

24-May-23
Based on last years odds, NR’s have a 70% chance of drawing a tag. Those are some of the best NR odds of any state. Therefore, overall you have a better chance of drawing a tag than you do of not drawing a tag. Good Luck!

24-May-23
Last year was the first time in 5 years that I didn't draw with zero points. I think point creep has hit Kansas just like it has other states and odds with zero points will continue to drop and it won't be long until draw odds with 0 points will be 0%.

24-May-23
The Big question is will there be many deer to hunt in the western 2/3rds of the state after the release of the latest survey

24-May-23
Which survey Matt?

24-May-23
Just got a charge on my CC. I wonder if they are truly going to pre authorize all the cards before the draw or it means I actually drew. Anybody else get a CC hit?

24-May-23
It’s just the first step in the draw process. It doesn’t mean you drew…. Yet.

25-May-23

25-May-23
Just called Pratt. Pretty sure the gal hung up on me when I said I had a question about the draw, lol! Must be busy. If they’re actually preauthorizing every card, both successful and not, that’s pretty wild. No other state goes about it that way. A charge always means a successful app elsewhere unless it’s a pay up front/refund later system like they had prior to this year. Could you imagine 40,000 pending charges for Colorado sheep apps and only 300 tags! Never simple in the Sunflower State!

25-May-23
My bank has a charge on my account for the tag , pretty crazy to think they are that stupid pull that BS

25-May-23
Seems like every time I order something online, they preauthorize. Charges are always pending til the item is ready to be shipped. I ordered two new tires for my kayak trailer last week and the charges are now pending. Tires won't ship til July. Why should a NR Tag be any different? Makes no sense to issue someone a tag then have a card declined. There is usually a set amount of time that those charges have to be processed or they just drop off.

25-May-23
Sure, but you’re actually getting those tires Jeff. We’re talking about folks who didn’t actually draw having their card run and then the transaction canceled/refunded, which is the internet rumor at the moment. I can’t imagine that’s the case. Most states have a window after notification of a successful app to get your payment info in order if the first try didn’t go through. But no one charges unsuccessful folks as results are supposed to be coming out just to see who all has a valid card. I can’t imagine that’s the case here, but you never know anymore.

25-May-23
I got an email from Utah saying I was successful on my elk tag and charges will start in a few days

25-May-23
Thought for decades that Colorado hit your CC a month or two before the draw results and collected interest on all that short term revenue/money collected before they had to issue refunds to all those who were not successful in drawing a tag.

I didn’t just dream that was happening for almost a decade in the early 2000’s right?

25-May-23
So does anyone have any idea when we will see results?

25-May-23
First of June

26-May-23
They did Jason, but those were the rules, like Kansas until this year. There’s still a couple states that charge full price during application and refund later. The theory always was they were getting rich holding all that cash, but most have moved to only charging those who actually draw because they claim that the processing costs of the up front arrangement and extra staff hours for refunds were actually costing them money. Think the only ones that still do charge up front pass those costs on to the applicants with bigger application fees. Anyway, I’m guessing results will be out late tomorrow so they don’t have to answer phones for three days.

26-May-23
Just checked my Kansas outdoors app, the NR draw status still shows NA eligeable, by my current license shows NR Antlerless tags from: 9/2/23 - 1/31/24.

26-May-23
Saw that on my buddy’s account as well. Assuming that’s confirmation of a successful app as general NR can’t hold a doe tag without a buck tag, but again, who the hell knows. Have seen a few guys reporting refunds hitting their card statements. What an ordeal!

26-May-23
Mine shows the antlerless as well. It also shows a preference point as unsuccessful.

26-May-23
Now his antlerless permit disappeared, but it shows “successful” in his points account. This is too much, lol.

26-May-23
In my instance (for Colorado), I don’t truly believe any of it (results, CC hits, etc.) until I actually have my tag in hand. However, I get it....some folks need to get on with booking/finalizing their hunting trips ASAP.

26-May-23
Check your preference points. Pretty sure that's accurate to know if you drew.

I had 0 points in the draw now I have 1 and it says unsuccessful.

Two of my buddies had 2 points going into draw and have 0 now and it says successful.

26-May-23
KB your not charging them, it's a pending charge. Then if successful the KDWP then charges the card. I imagine they had several cards declined after the applicant was successful. This way, they have an approval before the draw. Those who have a declined card before the draw should automatically kicked out. Exactly how I would do business.

26-May-23
I got drawn. Downloaded pdf with license and NR antlered and antlerless tags.

26-May-23
No one else does it this way Jeff. The draw likely happened earlier in the week when they sent out emails telling folks to expect results soon. Therefore you have the list of who to charge and who’s next in line in the event something goes wrong.

There’s really only two ways to go about this. Either have folks pay at application and then everyone in the hat is good to go and the unsuccessful folks get refunded. Or charge the successful after the draw and if something goes wrong allow a grace period to have the person sort it out. Every other state gets along just fine with that scenario, many with far more big game apps than Kansas. Pinging 8-10k unsuccessful cards just for the fun of it and then telling folks sorry, you didn’t actually draw is ridiculous.

I read somewhere else a fellow was a group leader of three. His card was hit for three charges and the card company declined two thinking it was fraud or an accidental multiple charge. The person he talked to at KDWP apparently said too bad. They moved to the next in line. So three folks that were likely drawn don’t get to hunt out of zero fault of their own. Dumb. Anyway, I’m sure there’s no sympathy from residents, and all the tags will get sold regardless. Just a completely backwards way to go about it. I can’t imagine the number of calls they got today!

26-May-23
I never cared what other states did. Hopefully our KDWP doesn't anymore either.

26-May-23
I imagine they will after the number of complaints they’ll get about this deal.

Anyway, results are out 10 minutes to 5:00 on a holiday weekend Friday. Smooth.

26-May-23
They end up with thousands of CC numbers that some hacker could sell to crooks. Why not just send a check they can cancel? Believe talented hackers could get into kdwp files in an instance. Blaze away people that know this area.

26-May-23
How many credit card numbers does Amazon take in a day?

26-May-23
Successful for me

27-May-23
My son and grandson drew. It is going to be fun this fall

27-May-23
We drew as well. Look forward to another fall in Kansas

27-May-23
Personally, I think the applications should be the price of the tag. No refund for not drawing.

Simple

08-Dec-23
I see the department finally released draw stats. About 2,300 more applicants than the last couple years. It doesn’t list how many simply bought a preference point. Pretty reasonable to think with over 10,000 unsuccessful this year and the preference point only crew that will jump in, some units might finally go entirely to point holders and statewide well over half of the tags will go to point holders in ‘24. If the yelling from the outfitters was bad at the commission meetings this year it might really get ugly next year!

Interesting to see the breakdown by number of choices. Just over half actually fill out all four while 7,000 only enter one choice. The latter are probably the loudest screamers!

08-Dec-23
KB. What's the total number antlered tags for NR and R? Just kind of curious what percentage of NR to R we are at?

08-Dec-23
The licenses used to expire on Dec 31st.I think we ought charge more to residents of places like NM and WY that have changed their tag rules after buying points for 20 years or restricting % if you have a guide or not.I do believe that every state should treat residents better than NR and that goes for Kansas.Iowa finally figured it out.

08-Dec-23
I believe Ks does treat our residents good. Unlimited OTC tag vs limited draw

08-Dec-23
Hard to say what the exact numbers are Rusty. From the last harvest survey on the website it looks like residents bought about 85,000 permits that would allow the taking of an antlered deer. It shows NR holding right around 25,000 buck tags. I’m not sure where the NR lifetime license folks fall in those numbers. My guess is in the resident pool since their tags are a resident code. So you could probably move some of that 85k into the other category to get your final number. I know 30k NR’s has been tossed around on here before.

So if we’re close with those figures somewhere around 28% of buck hunters are NR’s. Without diving into this too deep my guess is that’s the second highest NR participation in any big game hunt in the country. Colorado OTC elk being number one. Don’t hold me to that though. :)

08-Dec-23
Thanks KB. That's not far off from a lot of Colorado elk draw units that are currently at 65/35

08-Dec-23
Yeah, sorry, didn’t really mean to add the OTC behind Colorado as you’re right, they’re pretty liberal with all their elk tags. For now… There are some Pronghorn units in Wyoming that likely see NR participation skew way higher than residents due to the amount of private land/outfitters in those areas, but with two buck tags residents probably wind up a much higher percentage overall statewide.

As far as whitetails go I would guess Oklahoma is the only state remotely close to Kansas in terms of NR percentage, and I doubt it’s even that close. The northern plains states and Iowa have all reigned in NR numbers at this point.

08-Dec-23
KB you have to throw NR LL Holders in there, at least they need to be.

08-Dec-23
I mentioned that towards the end of my first paragraph Jeff. With them added to the NR numbers it probably is close to that 30,000 total NR’s we’ve talked about before. Though I don’t think anyone knows how many NR LL tags are sold.

Those figures are a few years old by the way. They haven’t added the last couple surveys to the site. Assume things haven’t changed a whole lot, but every year I’m guessing there’s a handful more NR landowners/NR LL holders and fewer residents buying tags the way things are going.

09-Dec-23
Kaleb, is there a breakdown of how many NR tags were issued to archery and how many were Rifle tags, my guess is way more archery issued compared to Rifle.

09-Dec-23
The year I’m referencing they gave out 14,000 archery tags in the draw vs roughly 7,800 rifle and muzzleloader tags.

09-Dec-23
Kansas is lack luster on giving on the data on deer harvest. I believe the last report I saw was 2021.

09-Dec-23
If we refuse to have check stations or some kind of check out how do we really know what's happening?

09-Dec-23
Pretty sure their data guy claimed the current survey models are more accurate than a mandatory check process at a recent commission meeting. Still haven’t figured that out. But I’m not that smart.

Nebraska is about the only one left in the region doing a mandatory check station and it sounds like they’re about to do away with it. I know some aren’t too high on it yet, but the cell phone app will probably be the only option at some point and is the best route for accurate data.

09-Dec-23
But will they actually release data anyway? They don't want us to know and to be honest, they don't want to know either, or just don't care.

09-Dec-23
Yeah, could be something to that. It is odd how slow and inconsistent they’ve become with releasing numbers.

09-Dec-23
KB, I got another survey this year that I promptly threw in the trash.

11-Dec-23
Open a open records request for the data. Therefore that is on file and then they will have to produce this data.

• Sitka Gear