Shawlerbrook 26-May-23
GreggWNY 14-Aug-23
jdbbowhunter 14-Aug-23
Shawlerbrook 14-Aug-23
CAMPDAVID 14-Sep-23
Shawlerbrook 14-Sep-23
04-May-23

Pat Lefemine's Link
DEC just released the 2022 deer report. I read the entire thing and all I kept asking is: what state are they reporting about? Seriously - where do they get this data from when reporting is voluntary and harvest reporting is dismal?

"Hunters in New York harvested an estimated 231,961 deer during the 2022 hunting seasons, a 10-percent increase from last year, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today."

05-May-23
Ya i can't buy that either. But a gov't agency wouldn't lie! LOL

05-May-23
47% – portion of successful deer hunters that reported their harvest as required by law. This is down from 52% in 2019, but up slightly from 2020; How do they know this?

05-May-23
A computer program using data they collect from hunters that do report, check stations and processor visits with a little political pressure sprinkled in. In the old days we used to call that an “educated guess”.

06-May-23
Now add in all the harvest that never get reported, and its well over 231,000

06-May-23
Maybe they should ask the hunters that DID NOT kill a deer to report it. I bet that would be a better gauge!

I have not trusted our illustrious DEC in decades.

Gotta run and fill up another 55 gallon drum with 87 octane. Starting to stockpile gasoline, my guess is soon, that will be outlawed too.

26-May-23
Shawler......you have it all wrong......it is a SWAG. Scientific Wild Arse Guess.......

26-May-23
Point taken !

14-Aug-23
A simple solution would be to require all hunters to submit a report at the end of the season whether they took a deer or not. Failure to do so will result in not being able to purchase a license the following year. Similar to what they did with bobcats a few years ago. The DEC would finally get a handle on harvests. Otherwise their ridiculous extrapolations will continue to be just that, ridiculous.

14-Aug-23
Don't believe they would do that. Too much money to be lost. And they probably still not give accurate numbers.

14-Aug-23
Exactly ! They care much more about license sales and the $$ rather than accurate numbers. Like many things going on in state and federal governments, it the political leadership not the boots on the ground. Spoke to an older ECO I worked with before I retired in 2012 and he said the people getting hired these days are experts in sustainability, climate change and environmental justice. Most have not, nor ever will hunt. Back when I was there almost all either hunted, fished or both. Just the times we live in and it’s much bigger issue than just deer management.

14-Sep-23
Why do we have to wait 5 months for a report? Why not daily figures within the season. Build a program with the formula and then push the button at the end of each day. Seems like that should be very doable

14-Sep-23
I believe they need the reports they get from field checking deer processors . That is how they estimate the reporting percentage. Daily or 5 months later, without mandatory reporting ( and even that would still have those that won’t report) the result is an educated guess. A better estimate of deer populations would be volunteer hunter sighting logs .

• Sitka Gear